Headphones for working out

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Headphones for working out
« on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:22 pm »
Up until recently all of my major exercise has been on a bike and I didn't listen to music.  Now that I am starting to run and lift weights, I am in the market for a set of new headphones to use with my iPod/Pico Slim combo.  I don't want to use my Shure SE-530, but would like something of decent quality.

Any recommendations?

George

JerryLove

Re: Headphones for working out
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:33 pm »
The ones I use don't seem to be made anymore. But these appear physically and cost-wise similar from the same manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-Q23LP-Stereo-Headphones-Orange/dp/B0007N55PA/ref=pd_sim_e_5

I find them surprisingly good for work-out-type listening.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:41 pm »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:55 pm »
I run a lot - like 25-30 miles a week, so my earbuds have to be extremely durable or they don't last more than a couple of months. I've gone through a lot of the major brands, but really like the Sennheiser CX 685's I bought a couple of months ago. They sound good and have outlasted everything I've bought up to this point. I ran a half marathon with them this past Sunday and never once had to mess with them. They fit great. I would buy them again.

Link

Review
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm by SlushPuppy »

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2012, 09:06 pm »
Hey George,

It's been a long time.  How's the family?  I hate your Giants; two Super Bowls later.  :evil: 

I use a custom molded IEMs when I work out and for music listening at work.  I can't help you by suggesting universal fit IEMs but I can provide you with an informative roundup of some.  This is the heaviest comparison I have found.  If you want to go custom give me a shout.   :thumb:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-266-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-50-added-11-29-12

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2012, 10:15 am »
Hey George,

It's been a long time.  How's the family?  I hate your Giants; two Super Bowls later.  :evil: 

I use a custom molded IEMs when I work out and for music listening at work.  I can't help you by suggesting universal fit IEMs but I can provide you with an informative roundup of some.  This is the heaviest comparison I have found.  If you want to go custom give me a shout.   :thumb:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-266-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-50-added-11-29-12

jokr has absolutely made so, so many peoples buying decisions easier-Thank for posting this for us tf121682!!!
Great info here!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:49 pm »
Thanks everybody for the pointers - great stuff!!   :thumb:

George

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2012, 02:48 pm »
That head-fi link is nuts!  I cannot believe the lengths that guy went in his comparo, I wonder how long it took?

Wish there was a way to stack rank by sound rating, or isolation.  Then again, maybe there is a consolidated listing of fav's somewhere, but interesting to scroll through the various price points and dream.

I wonder if I will end up tempted to try something other than my Shure's for plane use...

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:45 pm »
You are welcome eclein.   :thumb:

If you want to be equally blown away please check out the thread linked below.  Joe compares multiple custom in-ear monitors summing to thousands of dollars.  I have used custom IEMs for three years.  When the fit is done right the isolation they provide is incredible.  Upset babies on a plane no longer penetrate these ears.   
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-23-reviews-hidition-nt-6-pro-added-9-13-12

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:25 pm »
I would love to try customs but its a risky choice for my cash. I dig trading stuff away while its still a hot item for another hot item to try as many things as I want. A no fit or bad fit and how do I sell it if they never get it right.....etc.....bottom line if I had the cash to do it, I'd already have some!!!

I just got some UE500's and they are really nice, surprisingly so....less than $50 on the zon is something I can do anytime a wave of headphonitis strikes!!!

The jokr was the first guy I bought anything from on head-fi (Sleek SA-1's) he had just reviewed and he was doing these write ups then. I think its a non-stop thing for him, he does update the thread as he adds stuff. A lot of those guys are way past gone compared to I, makes me feel like I still have hope...LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
 The thing to do is try a few of his low tier ones and compare his write up to what you hear and if he hits home a few times you got the R&D department hearing things as you do and the write-ups save you a ton of freight in returns and keep the smiles steadily coming!! I myself always find his thoughts correlate with how I hear each item so I'm totally on-board with his stuff.

randytsuch

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:51 pm »
When I am considering a new IEM, I usually look at Joker's thread, and this one
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-dunu-crater-hawkeye-tai-chi-and-i-3c-s-added-dec-4th-2012

CleoOS doesn't have some of the more expensive one's that are in Joker's thread, but those are out of my price range anyway :(

FYI, there is a summary table after all the reviews in both of these threads which ranks the IEM's.

Randy