Alien on Bluray

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Alien on Bluray
« on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:14 am »
Watching it right now in 1080p and it is a REVELATION.  I've seen Alien before, reruns on TV a long time ago.  It looked fuzzy and foggy back then.  Now it looks razor sharp and very gooey in it's gloriously messy organic way.  If you've not yet checked out the bluray release of this movie, I strongly recommend it!

Rclark

Re: Alien on Bluray
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:25 am »
I will definitely get all of the Alien movies on BluRay, I'm one of those weird people who loved them all. Actually, I think the people who don't love them all are weird. But anyway.

Loved watching Alien as a kid on a worn out VHS tape in standard def. There was something about the scan lines and the fuzziness that authenticated the movie and made it seem more like a lost documentary. BluRay will ruin some of the mystery of those days, but I'm still doing it.

Tom Skerrit in the ducts with a little flamethrower never stops being scary.

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:55 am »
Watching it right now in 1080p and it is a REVELATION.  I've seen Alien before, reruns on TV a long time ago.  It looked fuzzy and foggy back then.  Now it looks razor sharp and very gooey in it's gloriously messy organic way.  If you've not yet checked out the bluray release of this movie, I strongly recommend it!

I know, it's sick isn't it? Looks like it was shot yesterday. It's the best looking transfer of the lot. And the extras (in the box set anyway) will keep you occupied for hours and hours.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:34 am »
Love the avatar.  I thought I was the only (embarrassed) Supernatural fan around here....

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:58 am »
Love the avatar.  I thought I was the only (embarrassed) Supernatural fan around here....

Frickin' love the show. Buffy for bros. Just started S7 on Netflix. Little miffed they've cut down on the hottie-of-the-week as of S6. Jo, Meg, Ruby, Gwen... Yum.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2012, 01:44 pm »
It didn't hit me until a few years ago when I read an article about transfers to bluray, but the resolution of film was very high even way back to the 60s, 50s, and earlier. So when these studios get hold of a print, clean it up, and focus on a quality transfer to blu, the results can be pretty stunning. I was watching The Outlaw Josey Wales earlier this year on blu, and it was like being transported back in time.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:28 am »
Why was the alien so docile at first on the escape transport? (at the end of the movie)

I think Alien is an amazing movie except that the Alien could of been a bit more agile, a bit more animated. Aliens touched really well on this, the later ones were gold except they were a bit ridiculous, over the top, action-oriented.