Just how good is the Tempest?

djlackey5

« on: 18 Jun 2004, 12:43 am »
I was trying to choose between the McCormack RLD1 solid-state preamp or the VAC Auricle tubed pre (both are around $2K) when the Tempest caught my eye.   You Odyssey fans seem united in the thought that the real competition sound-wise for Odyssey is around twice the price.  True?

My old British Fidelity preamp is in the midst of a slow painful death.  It works fine if I leave it powered up all the time, but now needs a long warm-up if it has been off.  Can't be a good sign, so now I'm itching to upgrade.

Any good comparisons you have done with Tempest vs other quality brands would be helpful.  I know I can just buy it and try it (and send it back if not completely satisfied) but I need to have one made specially with two sets of output jacks.  I'm assuming that "off the rack" would have only one set.

Chris_B

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2004, 01:33 am »
Good question.  The best way to answer it is to compare the Tempest to a few other Preamps in your system.  I am going to try to do that later this summer.  I am looking to replace my tube Bottlehead Foreplay with either the Tempest, Placette passive or another tubed preamp.  

One question I have on the Tempest has to do with the quality of the volume pot.  The Placette uses a 125 step volume control with Vishay S-102 resistors.  My Foreplay also has a stepped attenuator with good quality resistors.  How well is the volume pot in the Tempest integrated?

I am sure it is done well considering Klaus's tendency to over engineer everything else.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2004, 02:06 am »
The volume control is an ALPS.

Captain Humble

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2004, 05:45 am »
I need to have one made specially with two sets of output jacks. I'm assuming that "off the rack" would have only one set.
The base unit Tempest would have one set of outputs but Klaus offers several options including:

1.  Second set of outputs
2.  Home theater bypass
3.  Remote control
4.  Designer faceplates
5.  Tempest Extreme

Klaus builds to order so you can mix and match options however you like.
Jeff

F-100

Re: Just how good is the Tempest?
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2004, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: djlackey5
Any good comparisons you have done with Tempest vs other quality brands would be helpful...

Several months ago, we did a preamp shootout at MadDog's place that included several quality brands. See posts here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7851&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Keep in mind that my Tempest preamp was one of the earlier model that didn't have any upgrade.  As for the Tempest Extreme, I received my unit last week and is still in the break-in phase but so far it's a big improvement over the stock model and sound even better than my Kora Equinoxe tube preamp. (Want to buy my Equinoxe? :) )

To answer your question "how good is the Tempest?", my honest answer (no hype here) is to try one out for yourself and let your ears make the final decision. If you decided to go with the Tempest, not only you'll get the highest quality product but you'll also get the best customer service with the package. Here is an example, I sent my old Tempest in for the Extreme upgrade but the old chasis was out of style so Klaus replaced a new one for me free of charge. See if you can get this kind of support with other company.

TjMV3

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2004, 01:19 pm »
Hello,  new guy here.

I spoke with Klaus this week,  and he added me to the list for a Tempest.

I've been looking around for a Pre Amp for quite a while,  and after reading the customer reviews on the Tempest;  I decided to give the Tempest a shot.

I'm wondering what the difference is between the Tempest Extreme,  and the Tempest?  

Thanks.

Tony

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2004, 01:36 pm »
i recieved a tempest a  month ago or so, you wont be disapionted.
the extreme upgrade has a better effect for those who have a tt, thats what klaus told me.so if you dig vinyl get the extreme upgrade for your tempest.

lylefan

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2004, 02:07 pm »
I have been listening to my Tempest with full Extreme mods for about two weeks.  I must say it sounds very good and the soundstage seems slightly larger than my original Tempest, however, it is hard to say for sure as my Tempest was out for a while for the mods and I am sure I forgot how the original one sounded.  The difference may just be the difference in sound between the old Adcom Preamp I was using as a temporary substitute.

I can say without a doubt that the phono section is absolutely dead quiet!

KarlDL

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2004, 08:09 pm »
I have an Acurus RL-11 with DIY component upgrades (power supply diodes, decoupling capacitors, output capacitors) in my system right now while my Tempest is at Indy for the Extreme upgrade.  The original Tempest and the RL-11 were a dead heat; no discernable differences.  Perhaps the rest of the system is now to the point where cables will make audible differences; I have ordered Gronebergs from Klaus.

Hands down, the original Tempest beat out (smashed) the Acurus P10 (similarly modded) phono stage for MC (Ortofon Kontrapunkt) preamplification.  Noise difference is dramatic!  IMHO, the overall value of the Tempest is very hard to beat if one is into vinyl - especially with MC cartridges.

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2004, 03:59 pm »
My "put" is here:

http://www.audioreview.com/Preamplifiers/Odyssey+Audio/PRD_125287_1591crx.aspx

Review Date
February 6, 2004

Overall Rating
 5 of 5

Value Rating
 5 of 5

Used product for
3 Months to 1 year

Visitors rate this review
5 of 5, 4 votes

Rate this review?

Reviewed by: bald1, AudioPhile

Price Paid: $950 at Odyssey Audio

Product Model Year:

Summary:
First here's a link to my complete system description which will provide the reader with an understanding of both what other components I use and what my philosophy has been in terms of assembling and modifying my music reproduction systems over the last few decades.

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/320.html

With sources including vinyl (very low moving coil cartridges), reel and cassette decks, CD player, FM-AM tuner, and satellite digital feed in my system, the preamplifier is a critical component for both switching and feeding a bi-amped, subwoofer augmented planar speaker set up. Deleterious charateristics in a preamp would severely impact the purity of the sound the whole system produces. So when I decided that further repairs and tweaks to my 23 year old pre were not viable I sought out a replacement unit that would provide flexible source switching, handle 0.2mV output phono cartridges, possess neutral yet extended sonic characteristics, and be backed by a solid warranty and excellent customer service.

I did not limit my search for a new preamp to active units, looking at passive offerings as well. A proven design with an established track record of stable problem-free performance was also a factor in my quest.

Passive designs I ultimately ruled out because of the wide variance in my source component output voltages. Several would not be able to full drive my pair of stereo amplifiers without active preamplification. Many of the active designs required an outboard phono stage which I sought to avoid for convenience. That said if a preamp with a built-in phono stage evidenced compromises in performance it was immediately ruled out. I finally came down to a short list of about a half dozen units. One in particular, the Odyssey Tempest preamplifier which is the same as the Symphonic Line SL RG2 Mk3 preamp sold in Europe, differing from the Tempest only in front panel and knobs, met every requirement I had established. I bought it and have not looked back since -:)

Strengths:
The Tempest possesses some amazing strengths. Very extended tight bass, extremely delicate and detailed highs, solid sure-feeling selector switching, non-audible noise floor, and a superb phono stage. For my ears it evidences the best characteristics of both valve and solid state designs which no doubt some reading this will give cause for pause. There is a slight tube-like warmth to the wide range sonics which synergizes exceptionally well with my Magneplanar system.

Mine was delivered with dual output jacks. Other options to include a remote volume control exist.

Weaknesses:
Honestly, and I know this is hackneyed in many reviews, but I have found absolutely no weaknesses with this preamplifier. I does everything I want and adds nothing I don't.

Similar Products Used:
Over the last 3 decades plus I owned or have auditioned myriad pres ranging from DIY units like the Marshall Leach Low-TIM to Conrad-Johnson, Bryston, Apt-Holman, and more esoteric pieces. The unit I just retired was extensively A-B'ed with an Apt Holman way back when before I selected it in a final evaluation. If you looked at that link I provided in the introductory passage you'll know I'm not one to embrace the current audio darling nor to push the envelope into the diminishing returns arena. I seek outstanding performance which also provides a sensible bang for the buck. The Tempest delivers all that and more. There have been a number of recent "shoot outs" of preamps of both passive and active designs which included the Tempest. Each of these enthusiasts' comparisons has reinforced the validity of my own conclusions, not that they mean that much to me given how pleased I have been with my Tempest. But they serve to provide those contemplating a new preamplifier acquisition with a conscensus of opinion that the Tempest is most worthy of very serious consideration. Add to the performance and value inherent in the unit, the exceptional customer service and support Klaus Bunge of Odyssey Audio provides and you have an additional factor that is difficult to place a monetary value on.

As an aside after owning this Odyssey Audio product I also decided to purchase a pair of their Stratos Monoblock amps to replace an aging vintage Dyna stereo amp. A review of the Monoblocks will also be posted.

--Bob

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2004, 06:17 pm »
The first Odyssey product I was interested in was the Tempest 5 years have gone and still I love the unit, it is simply much better than many things and if, only if not better it cost less and has now a lot of interesting characteristics inclufing tape monitor and phono stage, upgrades, remote, etc.

And just because it is not a TUBE pre many do not consider it, it is a shame, but it sound better than some tube units for me, it is sad it hasn't had much attention but I tell you this product is in the same league of the amplifiers in terms of sound quality.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2004, 10:22 pm »
All I can say is that in Europe you're paying over $ 4,000  for the same design !!!!!

TjMV3

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2004, 12:37 pm »
Well,  I 've talked to Klaus and I'm waiting on the Tempest.  

I also did a little research on the Tempest and I feel very comfortable with purchasing this Pre Amp.  

I look forward to adding it to my system!!!