Better headband for the HiFiman HE headphones ; Anyone attempt this yet ?

steve in jersey

This really should'nt be that difficult, right? All that is needed is something that can be retrofitted to the screw holes on the earcups. Do any aftermarket options exist for this ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
The only thing Ive seen for the HE's is leather earpads which I put on mine, they are excellent by the way. If you find something aftermarket let us know steve in jersey. :thumb:

steve in jersey

So you like 'em better with leather ear pads, huh ? I have an extra pair of JPMoney leather ear pads that fit over the pad discs once you remove the leather pads supplied w/ the HE-500. I put the velour pads on for a try, I'll have to swap those puppies out for the JPM pads. Thanks

I'll get back to you when I figure out a more suitable headband .

steve in jersey

It had escaped me what I'd done to lessen the clamping pressure of the HE-4s & then I remembered. I brainstormed the problem a few days the last time around & I patted myself on the back for the result (which I also remembered)

The steel band inside the head band starts out as a flat piece that is rolled to a specified radius before the leather is put around it & earcup adjustment pieces are attached. All that needs to be done is lessen radius that the steel band was rolled to by grabbing the headband  with both hands evenly spread to either side of the center of the top & spread your thumbs toward each other. Your thumbs should meet (or just about , depending on your hand size at the center on the top of the band. The whole idea is to spread your hands evenly from the center of the band at least 7 or 8" apart. Now using your thumbs as a fulcrum push your thumbs down slowly while pulling up slowly & steadily. In order to counter act  the "memory" of the radius bend you will have to bend a few degree opposite of where 90 degrees (or flat was ) . Proceed slowly as once you've "undone the radius" (unless you can find a machine shop with a steel radius roller) it gone, "bye, bye"

I don't know what size head they measured to settle on the measurements for the radius curve for the headband but I'm guessing it was on the smaller size of average. Clamping pressure is about average or slightly less. "Ahhh !!" No concerns other than how nice they're starting to sound.

steve in jersey

Just 1 more comment :| Honest !!

Something you would'nt expect happens to the weight of the HE-500s on your head (if your you're adventurous enough to) if you lessen the headband grip . You really are'nt noticing the weight as much , weird!

angryguy

For anyone still looking to improve the headband on the HE-400 or the HE-500, there have been several members on head-fi who have had luck with using a cheap headband from ebay. You can see more details here at head-fi.

The only thing is that you would probably not want to clip all the buttons like this guy does in his picture as it can cause some stress on the original headband and could damage it. Most people just clip the outer buttons and leave the middle open. Lot of positive experiences about it though. Not the greatest looking thing in the world, but not bad in my opinion.