Advice on closed headphones

JoshK

Advice on closed headphones
« on: 3 Dec 2012, 09:29 pm »
Looking to get a decent set of a closed 'phones.    I have a pair of Senn HD600s at home, but I want to be able to use these at work, on the plane, etc.

My top pick right now looks to lean toward Beyer DT770.  I am having a hard time deciding on which impedance though.   If I am going to use my ipod sometimes, a tube amp sometimes and computer at work, which is likely best?

Might get a small portable amp to increase flexibility.

saisunil

Re: Advice on closed headphones
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2012, 09:52 pm »
Josh Shure 940s sound very good out of a portable device and even better when amped ... I have one ... I have moved to Jersey - you are welcome to come for a listen

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:22 am »
I'm living in Toronto these days.  Moved up here a year and a half ago.

I am pretty much looking for a pretty high end closed HP setup.  Really need advice on impedance.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:52 am »
For higher impedance (600 ohms) you need voltage, something your PC or ipod can't really do.

If you want to drive these without an amp with an ipod, I think you would need to go 32 ohms.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2012, 02:04 am »
The 80 ohm DT770 are a great pair of headphones, one of the best values out there IMO. They do have quite heavy bass but if you like bass, you'll love them :)

For something more neutral, I like the DT150 but they are ugly.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2012, 02:06 am »
Sorry Sainul,
Thought Sure was lower end, looked them up....guess they are in the same class

Yeah, as a tube diy'er, higher impedance more appeals to me, but you're right.   Maybe the 250ohm split the difference.   I am ok with using a portable amp.

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2012, 03:10 am »
For travel and work - nothing beats a high quality IEM ...
You pick anything from JH5 to the JH16 for example
http://www.jhaudio.com/

Then there is something like this that works with computer based audio or a phone like Galaxy
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Apex_High_Fi_Audio_Glacier_portable_headphone_amp_p/aaa0000010.htm

You could pick up top of the line Beyer
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/mobile-portable/t-5-p.html

and there are a lot of choices in between ...

minimus

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2012, 03:58 am »
I also would highly recommend the JH Audio JH16 IEMs.  I primarily use them at home with an Eddie Current Super 7 amp -- a stellar, full-size tube headphone amp.  Even though the JH16s have a very low impedance of 18 ohms, they are still very quiet with the Super 7.  I greatly prefer the JH16s to my LCD-2 rev 2 headphones, which are dark and have a somewhat veiled mid-range in comparison.  The JH16s also work fine out of an iPod or portable amp.  If you are looking for a full-size closed headphone, you might try to find a set of used JVC DX1000s.  They have a bit of a cult following these days, since they are out of production.  That means they occassionally come up for sale at outrageous prices -- a pair on Audiogon is listed for $1300, when they were only about $700 new.  I would say they have a similar presentation to Senn HD650s, but with better quality bass and no veiled midrange.  They are also easy to drive and sound great out of tube amps, even OTLs, despite their low impedance.  (But they are extremely large and will make you look like a dork if you wear them outside or on a plane.)  Finally, if money is no object, a lot of people on Head-Fi are raving about the new $2,000 Fostex closed-back headphones.   They are apparently a more refined version of the Denon D5000 at 4X the price.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2012, 07:32 am »
Josh: I'd give a close look at the Beyer 1350s since you're needing portable capability. These are the best headphones at the $300 price point I've heard to date and I liked them over my Beyer DT880s and Grado 325s. The isolate very well, they have beautiful tonality, they're durable (come with an awesome carrying case), and they have a bottom end that extends like you wouldn't believe. On top of that, they're fine right out of a headphone jack. If you want to use an amp, there are some gains to be had, but I listen to mine 90% of the time right from my iPhone and the sound is amazing.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2012, 12:46 pm »
I have owned the DT770's, I recall they were the 32 ohm ones.  I used them with my iTouch, and also with a FIIO e5 amp with the iToucn.  Better sound with the small portable amp, even with the "optimized" resistance for the iTouch.

I found the closed phones excellent for bass, but lacking in musical satisfaction overall.  I ultimately went to Grado 60i's, and modded the heck out of them.  I still use those for home use.

I travel a lot for work (on planes every other week these days), and initially used some noise cancelling Panasonic mid sized phones.  I liked the noise cancellation, and the sound was OK, but it was irritating to have to remove them for take off and landing - only ear bud types can be worn 100% of the time on domestic flights here in the frozen north.

I now use Shure iem's.  Better sound, 100% isolation (so noise cancellation less relevant) and I am left alone by the flight crew.  I use them with foam tips.

Closed phones can be fun, but I would giggle a little at you wearing DT770's on the plane!  Those are some big portable phones.

Of course the sound is what matters.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2012, 02:43 pm »
The Beyerdynamic DT770 is not too big to use out and about, I have the Beyerdynamic T70 which I use out and about / at work.

I also use the Etymotic ER-4S, both the T70 and the ER-4S I use with Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang portable headphone amp. The only problem with these headphones are if your music is of bad recorded quality the T70 will render it un-listenable, you may just get away with it on the ER-4S.   

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2012, 03:14 pm »
So I decided on the DT770 (250ohm) plus a FiiO E17 amp for using my ipod in the office (lots of my coworkers use big phones in the office, even my boss).   Most of the time this will be an office system. 

All suggestions were considered, but I guess I was already leaning. ;)

I am going to try to finish the minor details left on my Aikido preamp, which will likely morph to a dedicated headphone amp for home use (HD600s and these from time to time).   However, at home I listen to my stereo mostly, so I rarely listen to my HD600s. 

saisunil

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:55 pm »
Nice choice josh ... Pls share your listening impressions as it breaks in ...

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2012, 02:21 am »
So I am listening to Grooveshark (via laptop) into the FIIo headphone amp and my Beyer's.   I'm impressed that I can get decent sound with computer streaming.    I've been listening at work like this for >1year with crap results, so I am already happy.    Now to fish out my Ipod and use the digital out.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:19 pm »
My initial impressions are that the little FiiO amp was well worth the price.  I'm using it with grooveshark at work with my old headphones (Senn MM-400) for comparison of direct into headphone jacks from computer and the increase in quality is not little. 

The Beyer's are much better than the Senn's too, much better bass.

alll this though with my hearing still recovering, so I am not exactly golden eared right now.  Just can still tell the difference.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2012, 01:58 pm »
All those little Fiio amps are worth every cent. I only buy them nowadays as the value and sound quality is so, so high, at least imo. My next is another E17 as I had to sell my other for cash but this one will be a keeper, nice choice! :thumb: