You too, can make your own vacuum tubes. Here's how...

Ericus Rex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

Looks like you need about $20K in tools and 6-8 hours each.  And it apparently helps to be french.  Wanna start your own business?  Oui?!?!

cheap-Jack

Re: You too, can make your own vacuum tubes. Here's how...
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2012, 07:43 pm »
Hi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

Looks like you need about $20K in tools and 6-8 hours each.  And it apparently helps to be french.  Wanna start your own business?  Oui?!?!

Non. Unless you think you can build a super audio power triode that beats the O/P power of any exisiting power tubes, say 100W or more. Many SE tube fans maybe willing to pay whatever big bucks you ask for.

c-J

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:05 pm »
I had watched that clip before. It is an unusually big amount of work to make a tube from scratch.
I am even more grateful i do not have to build my own car from scratch.
The marvels of modern society.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2012, 04:03 pm »
Yeah, really labor intensive.  I'm sure that's how the first tubes and lightbulbs were made back in Edison's time.  But flash forward to the 50's and that wonderful Mullard factory video posted in the Music Reference circle and you see how automated it was by it's heyday.  All parts and glass were made by machine with only some of the actual assembly done by hand.  I really don't understand why it can't be completely automated these days, given the current precision capabilities of cnc manufacturing, resulting in perfect, reliable and cheaper tubes.  I'm dreaming, I know!  We're stuck with worn-out 1950's machinery producing short-lived, inferior sounding, expensive tubes for the forseeable future.