Wierd Sub has anyone seen this type before?

jimbones

medium jim

Re: Wierd Sub has anyone seen this type before?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2012, 05:17 pm »
They have been discussed several times in the Open Baffle circle and are outstanding and very fast and accurate.  The price is fair also and hopefully someone here will take it home!

Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:19 pm »
Here's one version of Steve Deckert's (Decware) isobaric subwoofer (designed for one to four 15 inch woofers) that I saw years ago:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/diy/Box_Plans/HWK15.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:49 pm »
On the Decware page linked to I don't understand this assertion:

"Usually applications that need this much bass will go with folded horns, but horns can create standing waves so large that much of the bass is canceled throughout the center of the space - right where you need it most!  The HWK has far less loading problems in a given room and unlike a horn, can be used in smaller spaces."

I would have thought the standing waves would be purely a function of source location and frequency, without regard to how the energy was produced.

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2012, 12:00 am »
Sounds like marketing to me. When you have one or two monopole sources of bass frequencies at the same room boundary location and in phase you will have standing waves. In a room without effective bass absorption, the SPLs present below the Schroeder frequency determine the magnitude of the peaks and troughs of the standing waves. 
Scotty

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2012, 12:40 am »
With regard to the first one, a monopole+dipole is a cardioid (or can be)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2012, 12:58 am »
On the Decware page linked to I don't understand this assertion:

"Usually applications that need this much bass will go with folded horns, but horns can create standing waves so large that much of the bass is canceled throughout the center of the space - right where you need it most!  The HWK has far less loading problems in a given room and unlike a horn, can be used in smaller spaces."

I would have thought the standing waves would be purely a function of source location and frequency, without regard to how the energy was produced.

Agree completely (Steve can be like that) and why I don't visit their site much.  Did you also notice that no performance data was available?  Like much of his stuff, half-baked/never finished or perfected.

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:11 am »
For myself, I would want a polar response measurement of a "cardioid sub-woofer", done in the horizontal plane that shows that a cardioid shaped response pattern has been actually achieved by a given design rather just theorized to exist as a consequence of the design.
Scotty

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:20 am »
Fair enough. I'm rather curious as to how well it works.

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:36 am »
It is a pretty slick package for the consumer. You've got the amp and a small foot print enclosure with possibly an EQ curve built into the amp. There is a shortage of information on the sub and how it works, perhaps this is due to patents pending.
Scotty