preamp advice

beaglebump

Re: preamp advice
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:44 pm »
Well, decided to hang on to the Zesto, after what was likely the most intensive auditioning I've yet undergone with my system.  Both the Herron and the Zesto possess impressive characteristics, but in the end, I simply feel more engaged with the Zesto in the chain.  Something inherently more organic / authentic with instrumental timbres, in particular.  Lower frequencies may be a bit soft, and the soundstage not as wide as with the Herron, but the rest just seems right, IMHO.  It is also, as many have touted, a dead-quiet phono stage.  More so than the Herron.  I have yet to audition the Esoteric, but might go the route with Music Direct in the near future, just to have a reference. 

vortrex

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2013, 09:15 pm »
I've been listening to my new Zesto for a couple days and it is simply incredible.  my search is over.  PJ Harvey is blowing my mind right now!

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm »
I've been listening to my new Zesto for a couple days and it is simply incredible.  my search is over.  PJ Harvey is blowing my mind right now!
Glad you liked it. Mine is a keeper  :thumb:

vortrex

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm »
Glad you liked it. Mine is a keeper  :thumb:

are you still running the stock tubes?

TomS

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm »
are you still running the stock tubes?
I have a variety of 12ax7's on hand now, bugle boys, lps, new mullards, and a few others, but I always seem to come back to the stock tubes.