replaced 4 ohm sub driver with 8 ohm

Marbles

replaced 4 ohm sub driver with 8 ohm
« on: 2 Dec 2012, 07:08 pm »
I know the load on the amp is halved, what happens to volume (output) ?

Long story, I was given a Hsu VTF -2 (10 year old) subwoofer with a blown 4 ohm driver.
I replaced the driver with a TC Sounds dual voicecoil driver (TC2+).  I hooked each of the 4 ohm voice coils in series to make it an 8 ohm load.

These are 10" drivers TC Sounds specs are here:  Look at DVC
http://www.oaudio.com/TC2_PLUS.html
Efficiency 85.4 1m 1w

The Hsu specs (such as I could find them are)  Mine is the VTF-2.1

Hsu VTF-2 in max output mode: 109.7db's (25-60Hz avg SPL)

Any info on what I should expect would be appreciated.

Thanks

mojave

Re: replaced 4 ohm sub driver with 8 ohm
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2012, 08:13 pm »
I made and posted that chart at HSU's forum years ago!  :icon_lol:

I also happen to have the 4ohm driver sitting here on a shelf and the HSU VTF-2.1 subwoofer. I purchased a replacement driver directly from Hsu.

I think the HSU driver might have a higher efficiency. If the TC Sounds driver is of lower efficiency, you will also lose output capability. With the change from 4 ohm to 8 ohm you will lose about 3 dB of maximum output.

The amp in the HSU is designed specifically for the HSU driver to created a flat frequency response in that enclosure. The TC Sounds driver might require a ported enclosure with different volume and port length. It might also have different rolloff characteristics and high pass filter requirements. However, given the low powered amp, you probably won't have enough power to cause any actual problems and if you can EQ to the listening position you will be fine.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2012, 12:18 am by mojave »

Marbles

Re: replaced 4 ohm sub driver with 8 ohm
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2012, 08:30 pm »
 :thumb:

Thank you!