Review of Karrin Allyson Performance

rickweed

Review of Karrin Allyson Performance
« on: 17 Jun 2004, 02:18 pm »
Hello all,

Last night I had the priviledge of seeing Karrin Allyson at the Dakota Bar & Grill in Minneapolis.  Our seats were right at the stage, directly behing the piano, and only about 6 feet from where her microphone was.  The way we were positioned, I could still see the entire band.

Needless to say, her performance was without flaw.  Regardless of the material, whether it be Brazilian, French cabaret, Coltrane ballads, or her rendition of Joni Mitchell, she was right on vocally, covering these tunes in her own inimitable style, sometimes seductive, sometimes with extroverted exuberance.  Her band was beyond compare.  She has used the same people for years yet when you hear them play, it's as though all of their selections are new and fresh to them.  The sound was incredible and being that close with such well mixed sound, you could hear all the subtle ticks and tinkles of precussion, and almost hear the pick hitting the strings on Danny Embrey's guitar.  Bow Bowman's stand up bass work was out of this world.  He is a joy to watch and to hear.  This guy is from another world when he plays, appearing to not be amongst the living, just in a trance.  Danny's guitar work was precise, clean, and so expressive.  Todd Strait worked the drums with such finesse that under no circumstance could anyone call his precussion irritating or in your face - he was "just there", doing what good drummers do, being colorful without being obnoxious.  This is the fourth time I have seen Karrin and will go again and again when she is in town.  I highly recommend her to anyone who has an interest in jazz.  Lastly, seeing this quality of live performance, I now have a gauge to work with in fine tuning my audio system which is Van Alstine seperates with his own Biro speakers.  

Rick

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Review of Karrin Allyson Performance
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2004, 04:04 pm »
Quote from: rickweed
Hello all,

Last night I had the priviledge of seeing Karrin Allyson at the Dakota Bar & Grill in Minneapolis.  Our seats were right at the stage, directly behing the piano, and only about 6 feet from where her microphone was.  The way we were positioned, I could still see the entire band.

Needless to say, her performance was without flaw.  Regardless of the material, whether it be Brazilian, French cabaret, Coltrane ballads, or her rendition of Joni Mitchell, she was right on vocally, coveri ...

RICK: I've heard some cuts off her latest disc and am thinking about picking it up - any thoughts?

rickweed

Karrin's latest effort
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2004, 07:08 pm »
Rick,

As you probably know, the music on the new disc, which I have of course, is renditions of songs she grew up with and impressed her as a young woman.  They have taken these songs and reworked them in a perfect way to give a sort of pop/jazz feel to them.  It's amazing how good they are.  Here is a group of songs that I prefer more than the originals in almost all cases.  Now let me also say that if you don't have any of Karrin's discs yet, that you might want to try "Coltrane Ballads", "From Paris to Rio", and "In Blue."  All of these are superb although totally different in content, giving a wonderful look at her versatility as a top notch performer and vocalist.

Rick, aka "the rickweed"