Replacing/repairing my washing machine

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Replacing/repairing my washing machine
« on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:20 pm »
Barely 6 months after replacing the timer on my 6-year-old Whirlpool Gold washing machine, the spin cycle shot craps.  Runs slow, noisy, slight burning smell, and then it shut down.  The next day it at least ran, but with the same symptoms.

Repair or replace?  I planned to buy an HE front-loader anyway, but had pushed that idea back until Christmas 2013.  Now it looks like the decision has been made FOR me.   :banghead:

Who has an HE front loader that they like?  Who has one they hate?

Recommendations would be most helpful, as I may be breaking out the credit card tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, all!

'brick

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Replacing/repairing my washing machine
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:26 pm »
I got to know my appliance repairman fairly well. His advice, fix it once then buy a new one when it breaks down again.

Doc

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:32 pm »
Good point.  I wouldn't mind if I could just buy the parts and DIY, but this sounds like more than I want to tackle.  Maybe a bad tranny...........

Thanks, Doc!

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:36 pm »
We replaced a Wirlpool top loader with a Bosch frontloader three or four years ago.  The Bosch is much quieter, more efficient and cleans clothes much better.  My wife really likes the Bosch and the front load design.  It takes a bit longer to do a cycle but the clothes are much cleaner and it doesn't beat them up like our old machine.   The Bosch is also quieter and cooler looking.

If a repair is inexpensive or if you have a warranty on the work that was done, I'd say give it another shot but if you have to pay someone to do it, save your money and get a new machine. 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:45 pm »

We have the first series of Whirlpool HE front-loaders here from about 2003. The washer was built in Germany - no real reliability issues to date. If I were to do it again, no way would I buy new Whirlpool-family product including the higher-echelon stuff- the quality has gone south bigtime. Probably Samsung or LG from what I've been hearing. We have a Bosch dishwasher which has been good but no experience with their laundry stuff.
Good luck on your quest, Thunderbrick. 

D.D.

avta

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:51 pm »
We have had an LG front loader for about 6 yrs. It works well and has not had any mechanical problems however there has been an ongoing problem with mold in the rubber gasket that seals the door. There was mold in it when we got it new. It has been replaced twice under warranty. When I went on line to investigate the problem I found that this has been an issue with most if not all front loaders. There is a class action law suit against Sears re this problem and one against LG that is being prepared. Until this issue is resolved I would be inclined to get a top loader as there are now more efficient models available.

TrungT

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:01 pm »
We have LG front load about 7 yrs, no problem so far.
We never have problem with mold, we leave the door open after use.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:01 pm »
I just bought a top loader.  I wanted a front, but the salesman said you had to leave the door open when not in use so it wouldn't mold.  Our washer faces a walkway, and I didn't want the door blocking the way as we go through there in the dark.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:42 pm »
I have a parts place/repair place/appliance dealer nearby.  When something goes wrong I phone up and say" I have such and such a model and it is doing this and making this noise".  The guy at the other end tells me what part to remove and replace if it is possible to diy it.  Generally I suppose they encounter certain problems with certain models so they can give you the diagnostic over the phone in many cases.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:53 pm »
I also had a helpful parts store nearby. With their help I fixed my washer twice and dryer once.  When the dryer broke the second time I said the heck with it and bought both new from Sears.  :lol:  I bought a top loading washer so I can't comment on front loaders. 

I have a parts place/repair place/appliance dealer nearby.  When something goes wrong I phone up and say" I have such and such a model and it is doing this and making this noise".  The guy at the other end tells me what part to remove and replace if it is possible to diy it.  Generally I suppose they encounter certain problems with certain models so they can give you the diagnostic over the phone in many cases.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:59 pm »
We just purchased our first Front Loader, an LG, and couldn't be happier with it. 10 year warranty on the DD motor, it's quiet, gentle on clothes, and with the HE detergent and minimal water usage, very efficient. Have not had a problem with smell/mold, etc., because we leave the door open until the condensation is gone. Then you don't shut it all the way, as it has a built-in magnetic door stop that keeps the door cracked open a small amount. I also religiously open the little door at the bottom and drain the excess water out and clean the coin trap. We'll never go back to a top load washer again.  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:30 pm »
On the LG front loaders, to insure a lifetime of mold and mildew free operation, in addition to leaving the door open a crack, after each session

a.  Wipe down the inner groove of the door seal with a small towell

b.  Remove the dispenser drawer and dump the small amount of residual water out and wipe down the interior of the compartment.

I also wipe down any moisture in the drum.  Whole operation takes about 2 minutes.

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2012, 09:44 pm »
I'm one for fixing stuff myself, and I'll bet I know what's wrong with your Whirlpool. These are basically the same for years and years. BTW, Whirlpool makes Kenmore so same goes for them. I'd bet it's not a tranny.

There is a clutch of sorts under the tub, it engages on the spin cycle and they get glazed over after cycling a gazzillion times. Looks like a mini drum brake setup if that's familiar to you. Repair may not even require parts, just some brake cleaner and sandpaper. It is in the belly of the beast, though, so may be daunting for some.  If you're game, I'll coach you through it.

It's fresh in my mind too, just did it while we had a houseful of guests!

LadyDog

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:53 am »
Just bought a washer and dryer myself.  Initially I was leaning toward the front loaders.  As I do think they combine the best of;  using the least amount of water, cleans clothes the best, and is the most gentle on said clothes.

Ended up with a HE top loader though.  Maybe it is due to me being a cheapskate at heart.  ;)

So far, I have not regretted my descision.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:27 am »
There is a clutch of sorts under the tub, it engages on the spin cycle and they get glazed over after cycling a gazzillion times. Looks like a mini drum brake setup if that's familiar to you. Repair may not even require parts, just some brake cleaner and sandpaper. It is in the belly of the beast, though, so may be daunting for some.  If you're game, I'll coach you through it.

Let's see, buy a new set for $1800, or clean the old one out..............Hmmmm, $1,800 to upgrade a preamp, amp, or pay off the Nikon 2.8 zoom I just bought.

New appliances or new toys?

I think I know where I left my brake cleaner, Peter J!      :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:17 am »
On the LG front loaders, to insure a lifetime of mold and mildew free operation, in addition to leaving the door open a crack, after each session

a.  Wipe down the inner groove of the door seal with a small towell

b.  Remove the dispenser drawer and dump the small amount of residual water out and wipe down the interior of the compartment.

I also wipe down any moisture in the drum.  Whole operation takes about 2 minutes.

Steve

+1   We do the same on our Whirlpool Duet - makes all the difference. 

D.D.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:39 am »
This may be helpful if you want to post symptoms

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/Appliance-Repair-Help-Lawn-Mower-Repair-Help-Small-Engine-Repair-Help

And it comes apart differently than you might think, trust me I found out the hard way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4pkhSJw7U

You may need a tool to get the agitator off.

I never looked on You Tube before now, looks like there lots of stuff. Here's a couple more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=PmRSwrj-45g&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=PmRSwrj-45g&feature=endscreen

Funny accent, but I think the info is good.

The part I cleaned and sanded was the cam actuated deal above the clutch he shows in the last video. There was a faint burning smell when it was failing, just like when you leave the parking brake on and drive to the grocery store :o

New pre, here we come!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2013, 08:44 pm »
OK, here's the ultimate "NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!" ending.

The wife and I decided to get a new washing machine.  A salesman buddy of mine at Lowe's cut us a nice deal, and with my wife offering to pay for the washer and I pay for the dryer, we agreed to make the jump.  And Lowe's would haul off the old machines, FREE.

Now, as I suspect other audiophiles might do, I thought about my current dryer which is only 5 years old and figured......."why the hell should Lowe's haul it off and scrap or resell it?"  So I listed it on the local community bulletin board for $125 and a local church was THRILLED to get it and the broken washing machine.  And they hauled them off!   Everybody wins, right?    WRONG!

I emailed my wife (she works in another state) to tell her the good news, and she blew a :cuss: gasket, ranting that I "never listen to ANYTHING!" (quoted verbatim) she says. And didn't believe me when I said I planned to send her the check.   :wtf:

I shoulda had the dammed washer repaired right away, but of course she thought that was dumb, too.

Can't win.  Only thing left to do is listen to tunes. :sad: :banghead:

Anyway, guys, thanks for all the help!  I passed on all the info to the new owners.

'brick

Bizarroterl

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:39 pm »
I'm not clear why she was mad.   :scratch:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:57 pm »
Neither am I, neither am I. :scratch: :o

Though when we left Lowes two weeks ago she told me "just let them handle everything.  Don't waste your time on other ideas."    :duh: :nono: