Odyssey 5 Channel Amp?

yramelims

Odyssey 5 Channel Amp?
« on: 30 Nov 2012, 03:46 pm »
I am a huge fan of Klaus and Odyssey Audio quality amps.  Does anyone know if Klaus can make a 5 channel amp?  I recall that he used to make a Stratos HT-5 amp.  I was hoping that could still be done.  I am in need of a 5 channel amp and only have space for one Stratos sized chassis.  Nothing commercially available in the price range even comes remotely close to the Odyssey quality, so I am hoping this could still be done. 

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Odyssey 5 Channel Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:10 pm »
Call him tonight, but I don't think he is building/nor will he build that amp any longer.

yramelims

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:48 pm »
I have heard that Klaus is good about working with his clients on special designs.  Were there problems with them before?  If it was done successfully before, it can technically be done again. I hope he is willing to build it, otherwise I'll need suggestions for what comes close to Odyssey performance in the Odyssey price range.  I have no problems waiting a few months for it. 

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2012, 02:28 am »
I would listen to the Parasound HALO A51. I had an Odyssey Stratos some time back. Upgraded to a McCormack DNA-125 and on to a Parasound A21.

The sound was better through the A21 and the build quality was better. But again, one must listen and audition a piece for a time to decide.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/parasound-halo-a-51

If the price is right, I think Klaus would build anything for a potential customer. My two cents...

yramelims

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:54 am »
Thanks for that advice.  Unfortunately, the Parasound A51 is well above my price range.  My budget is more in the Parasound A52 price range.

yramelims

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2012, 05:03 am »
The specs and the review of even the Parasound A52 look much better than everything else I was looking at in it's price range - I'm not sure how the A52 compares to the A51 or the Odyssey Stratos. 

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:45 pm »
Take a look at this promo video from Richard Schram of Parasound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHNx-PSZ2I

I asked him a few questions by email about the A21 and he answered them straight away.

I think the A52 is a solid quality product. It looks to have half the current, per channel, of the A51 and half the power.
If your speakers are easy to drive, it should sound as good as a A51. But you could email Richard with the specs and he would tell you if the A52 would do the job. 

I have somewhat inefficient speakers and the A21 drives them very, very easy. No strain heard at all.

yramelims

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2012, 03:27 am »
Thanks for the link.  I have relatively smallish speakers: 4 x Paradigm Signature S1 and 1 x Paradigm Signature C1 with 80Hz crossover, so I'm assuming the A52 should be sufficient.