Odyssey Tempest

vanderstephen

Odyssey Tempest
« on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:09 am »
Hello Experts!
I have a Tempest preamp along with a Khartago amp. I use it primarily with my turntable. Does anyone here use a Tempest with an outboard phone stage that they have found to improve over the internal one? Has anyone here moved from a Tempest to something else such as a Candela or otherwise along with a different phono stage and found a nice improvement? Thanks for your input.

lazydays

Re: Odyssey Tempest
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:02 pm »
Hello Experts!
I have a Tempest preamp along with a Khartago amp. I use it primarily with my turntable. Does anyone here use a Tempest with an outboard phone stage that they have found to improve over the internal one? Has anyone here moved from a Tempest to something else such as a Candela or otherwise along with a different phono stage and found a nice improvement? Thanks for your input.

I'd like to find someone that's using the Tempest with the tape loop. Just how good is the tape loop? Also looking at the spec sheet, does it have only three inputs, or does it have three inputs plus the tape loop? Honestly I could use two tape inputs and four regular inputs on a preamp. I have used the candela with several different phono stages (outboard of course). Keep going back to the old George Wright WP100 due to it's flexability with the system. But also need something better as I write this.
gary

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:50 pm »
Does anyone here use a Tempest with an outboard phone stage that they have found to improve over the internal one? Has anyone here moved from a Tempest to something else such as a Candela or otherwise along with a different phono stage and found a nice improvement?

When I had a Tempest, I had no choice but to use an outboard phono stage since my Tempest's phono was plagued by humm, so just about any other stage was an improvement, I used a CA540p, dead quiet.
Sold it and went to an Usher P-307, much better soundstage, and quiet phonostage.
My current CAT pre is superior to the Usher, and I would say even more quieter than the Usher when using phono.

Both successors cost more than the Tempest.  :thumb:

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2012, 12:23 am »
I owned a Tempest and a Candela. Both had hum problems, as did a Stratos amp I had too. Once these components were replaced the hum, buzz and spurious odd sporadic low level noise went away.

I have a Parasound preamp now and a Line Magnetic audio integrated tube amp in another system and no noise at all.

vanderstephen

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2012, 01:47 am »
The feedback is much appreciated. Sounds like it is worth borrowing some items from my local store to see how they compare.

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:33 pm »
I owned a Tempest and a Candela. Both had hum problems, as did a Stratos amp I had too. Once these components were replaced the hum, buzz and spurious odd sporadic low level noise went away.

I have a Parasound preamp now and a Line Magnetic audio integrated tube amp in another system and no noise at all.

My condo has a ground fault loop, and where it's at is still unknown. I run my system thru a powder conditioner, and have no isses (had them with several others as well). 
gary

aaron.luebke

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:48 am »
I owned a Tempest for a very short time - an older one purchased from the A-gon. I didn't run my TT through it. But now I have a Candela purchased straight from Klaus and a pair of Stratos amps.  I use the Grado PH-1 as my phono pre, had a Music Hall before this.  The Grado was a great improvement.

I've never had an issue with hum on any of my Odyssey equipment and I've currently got an Etesian, Khartago, Candela and two flavors of Stratos.