Camera / Lens Recommendations & general questions

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Camera / Lens Recommendations & general questions
« on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:41 pm »
Hi folks - as my trusty Panasonic travel zoom camera is starting to fail, I'm looking to step up in quality.  In my adolescence I was relatively heavily into photography, with the full SLR, doing darkroom work, etc and even worked at a camera store.  But now I realize that if the camera is not fairly compact - i.e. can fit in a jacket pocket or small "hip holster", I'm not likely to use it. Ideally I'd like a Leica M9, Fuiji X1-pro or other similar camera w/ an APS-C or full size sensor in a compact range finder style body w/ a compact lens.  But I'm not willing to spend anywhere near that amount.

SO - looking for a step up from a point & shoot, and think I've decided on an Olympus PL-1, but open to other suggestions.  Mostly because it offers a compact size, micro 4/3 sensor, very good jpeg performance, hot shoe + interchangeable lenses and a super low price ($140 body only Amazon).  I'm not really concerned about video performance or lots of bells & whistles, though having a built in flash is a plus (one reason I'm considering the PL-1 vs the PM-1). Mostly I shoot landscape / architecture, and portrait, so I don't need a fast camera for sports, but low shutter lag is important. Would prefer not to spend over $200 body only.

Most importantly, looking for suggestions on suitable compact zoom lenses for the above Olympus, whether "native" Olympus or Panasonic lenses, or even DSLR or older "OM" manual focus lenses that can be fitted with an adaptor. My ideal minimum range is 28-110 35mm equivalent.  That covers 90% of the range I typically need. I'd prefer not to spend over $200.

So would appreciate advice / comments on the camera + lens recommendation, with a total budget of approx $400 for both.

Also some general questions if folks feel interested in commenting:

1) Is micro 4/3 sensor quality that much better than a well implemented smaller sensor, such as you'd find in a Canon G series, Panasonic LX series or equivalent?  A lot of my decision is weighing on the assumption that the larger sensor is very important, which is why I've discarded from consideration Canon G & Panasonic LX series. 

I think I'm rarely actually going to print a photo, though sometimes I might display on a large flat screen or maybe even a 100' screen w/ a HD projector in the home theater. 

2) Assuming I was willing to spend that much, do Leica branded lenses, whether old or new, really that much better than say a Olympus, Panasonic, etc lens?  Until now I've mostly used Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic, so I don't have direct experience.

I'd have to be sure they are really so much better to be paying double to four times the price of comparable lenses from other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the help!

Phil A

Re: Camera / Lens Recommendations & general questions
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm »
Jon, interesting thread.  I am due for an upgrade (usually .  My just over 3 year old 12MP Samsung point and shoot is starting to have minor issues but is still useful.  Only was $110 at Costco with freebies when I got it so I can't complain.  I'm leaning for a better point and shoot for now as it is easier to travel with.  Costco has a $50 instant amount off starting Thurs. on the Sony HX10V (18.2MP, 16x Optical Zoom) with an 8G SD card and case so it ends up at $219.99.  So, I'l be thinking about it this weekend.  I've had better cameras before and at least for me the amount I use it, the way technology changes, etc., a point and shoot may be better for me (not to mention my picture taking ability), it may be better for me.  Most of time I use a digital camera, it is an old 2.1MP on it's lowest quality for putting pictures in my Gallery or if I take apart something and want to be able to put it back together.  I end up using a better camera either on vacation or now when I'm having a house go up.  So I'm thinking one more point and shoot of decent quality and re-evaluating it in a couple of years.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:53 am »
Hi.

the Sony HX10V (18.2MP, 16x Optical Zoom) with an 8G SD card and case so it ends up at $219.99.

I think I got a much better deal a few months back:- Samsung W850F smart camera for only $199.99.

For all-in-one small cams, 2 decisive factors are:  picture resolution (Mg pixels) & optical zoom. Larger the better.

This Little David gets 16.2 Mg pixels resolution & 21x optical zoom - largest in the market dollar for dollar.

Loaded with hi-teck features:-
(1) Schneider lens (Germany) - I prefer German lens, always.
(2) WiFi - smartphones/tablets streaming, remote controllable & monitorable.
(3) GPS & digital mapping.
(4) 1080P Full HD movie with stereo sound recording - it's for me, baby - I love movie taking very much on trips.
(5) HD movie AND HD picture can be taken at the same time!!!!!!!!!!
(6) instant WIFI uploading all the shot contents to yr PC - no risk of losing data.

It being really smart, I can take HD movies even in sorta pitch-dark situation & perfect pictures against strong sunlight. Never fail.

I enjoyed using it so much in my last trip in the fall that I got to say something nice about it.

c-J

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:45 am »
Hey guys - there are truly many very good & cheap compact P&S cameras out there. 

For me, I really wanted to go up the scale in image quality, but still keep it portable.

So pulled the trigger & ordered an Olympus PL-1 (body only) for only $140 NEW from Amazon.com.  Also ordered a Nikon to Micro 4/3 adaptor ($17) as my father has a bunch of old Nikkor lenses to try.

Won't give the final verdict until I try it, but this has got to be the lowest cost / highest quality way to get into digital photography.  $140 for the body, $17 for an adaptor, use old lenses that you / family / friends may have lying around. 

I'm giving up some portability / convenience using these old lenses, but I'm assuming the quality of the lenses should be very good.  And if I really need maximum portability, guess I'll just use the iphone.

With that said : would still appreciate comments from any folks out there about micro 4/3 quality / experience vs APS-C + full-size & general comments about favorite bang for the buck in lenses!

cheap-Jack

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2012, 02:11 pm »
Hi.
Hey guys - there are truly many very good & cheap compact P&S cameras out there. 

For me, I really wanted to go up the scale in image quality, but still keep it portable.

So pulled the trigger & ordered an Olympus PL-1 (body only) for only $140 NEW from Amazon.com.  Also ordered a Nikon to Micro 4/3 adaptor ($17) as my father has a bunch of old Nikkor lenses to try.

No doubt the new invention of mirrorless Micro 4/3 system will give better quality pictures when blown up to poster size. But how often we want to blow up the photos too large?

In sticky situation like attending a live show on stage, touring a gallery & museum etc etc where photo shooting is usually not allowed, then a QUALITY small size all-in-one camera is the only way we can sneak shoot something memorable. Too large a camera with large manual lens will be a handicap instead of being helpful.

c-J