BDA 2 in-house

werd

BDA 2 in-house
« on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:44 pm »
Hello folks

About a month ago I popped in to see what was cooking up on the Bryston board. To my surprise  a thread with (pics even)of a new BDA/BDP was well underway. A new BDA !!!!, i wanted in.

The original BDA gave to me so much in resolution and prat that the potential for an evolution in performance with the BDA 2 sparked my curiosity that I broke down and got in line and ordered up a black in 17".

Having only got this is on Friday and having spent almost 4 years with the orig I can say safely say at this early point that this a different dac. And I say this without even hearing the USB section yet. I know I have been driving James nuts over the weekend with emails but I am very enthusiastic about this dac to say the least in my system.. Ymmv.

It has the same prat and air but with more resolution and its smoother as you get into higher frequencies.

It's a fantastic dac

:thumb:

saveloy

Re: BDA 2 in-house
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:16 pm »
Hi Werd,

Very interesting.  I look forward to more detail from you once you've had time to properly assess your new toy.

Kyri

62Truck

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2012, 06:24 pm »
This is great to hear!  I look forward to more of your thoughts as you get acquainted with the DAC.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2012, 07:42 pm »
Will do :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2012, 08:54 pm »
Interesting Werd, you are a very lucky boy to have a BDA-2 already, very interesting early comments though, can't wait to hear more feedback, I always felt that the BDA-2 had real potential to offer something more over the BDA-1, more so than the BDP-2, who knows though, if the BDP-2 can bring something a little extra to the party then the BDA-2/BDP-2 is going to be very special indeed.

I think I'll have to speak to PMC tomorrow to see if they have any idea when I'll be getting mine, after these comments werd I can't wait :)

werd

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:16 pm »
Interesting Werd, you are a very lucky boy to have a BDA-2 already, very interesting early comments though, can't wait to hear more feedback, I always felt that the BDA-2 had real potential to offer something more over the BDA-1, more so than the BDP-2, who knows though, if the BDP-2 can bring something a little extra to the party then the BDA-2/BDP-2 is going to be very special indeed.

I think I'll have to speak to PMC tomorrow to see if they have any idea when I'll be getting mine, after these comments werd I can't wait :)

Hopefully soon, this weekend I will have a BDA 1 in house and I also plan on listening to the usb in.  I doubt it will out perform the xlr or bnc with the bnc but we will see. I am interested in a BDA1/2 comparison.

Vipers do you have any new Bryston speakers in-house yet?

Vipers

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:34 am »
Hopefully soon, this weekend I will have a BDA 1 in house and I also plan on listening to the usb in.  I doubt it will out perform the xlr or bnc with the bnc but we will see. I am interested in a BDA1/2 comparison.

Vipers do you have any new Bryston speakers in-house yet?

Anymore feedback werd? we are all waiting in anticipation :)

No Bryston speakers here at the moment unfortunately, hopefully we'll get to see them one day over here in the UK but only James knows the answer to that one really.

werd

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2012, 05:18 pm »
Hello Folks

Funny you should ask Vipes

Having been lucky enough to have a BDA1 and a BDA2 both in house i was able to get a good feeling of where the new BDA has made some nice improvements imo. They both are great dacs. In so much that they both give you a great sense of Prat. There are no surprises with the new bda2. That signature bda pace and timing is what makes the bda dacs so great. I love good solid image with focus and if i can get that with a solid beat then its gonzo. Not just with primary instruments but with fillers that appear layered,and back up instruments that all have nice toe tapping rhythms.  All these instuments need to come across in focus and with a healthy sense of air for appeal. You get that with both dacs.

Here is a pic of both

Not the greatest pic sorry.

Where the bda2 starts to make ground is its ability to bring more resolution to the sound with less noise. I am guessing these new 32 akm dual dacs are more powerful then the older 24 bit dac in the bda1. It shows up with a better sense of instrument detail. There is a stronger more pulpable sense of guitars in lead and rhythm and including filler instruments.

Another benefit to the new akm dacs is the BDA2 ability resolve complicated passages with a better sense of ease and less clutter. Instrument detail isnt getting lost in the dacs ability to resolve complicated passages found in the fusion tracks i used to listen, including this one by Herbie Hancock in 24 bit.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886443610507

The music just sounded more at ease in the more difficult places where in the bda1 it seemed to get tripped up a bit. The dac isnt getting in the way iow. Its stuff like this that makes it a better dac. 

The bda2 is more colored but it doesnt come at a cost of instrument detail or a sense of air. Its far more forgiving than the bda1 in this regard. This was important since i use a TPV pre and cabling the bda1 was more of a hobby task.  The bda2 you can up the resolution with cabling without it pushing the boundaries in treble. Silver cabling would work here in an all solid state system with the bda2 i am assuming.....ymmv

The bda2 is just a better dac imo and i still havent gotten around to the usb.....  :duh:. I left the drivers at the dealer by accident.

These new akm dacs up the playback considerably imo. Housed in a single chassis using Bryston's circuity and this 32 bit dac gives you the resolution of the dac chip and the prat circuitry of Bryston's house sound.. Its a win win win win situation.

More to come

stereoal

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2012, 02:36 am »
Hi Werd,

Since by now you have listened in depth to both the BDA 1 and BDA 2 with your top-of-the-line stereo, is there much of a sonic difference between the two models? It was my understanding from reading James Tanner's comments that each sounded "about" the same. As you can probably tell, I'm one of those BDA owners who wonder if they should have waited a few months for the new model. If only we had been given some hint a new model was on the way . . .
Thanks for any comment.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2012, 04:15 pm »
Hi Werd,

Since by now you have listened in depth to both the BDA 1 and BDA 2 with your top-of-the-line stereo, is there much of a sonic difference between the two models? It was my understanding from reading James Tanner's comments that each sounded "about" the same. As you can probably tell, I'm one of those BDA owners who wonder if they should have waited a few months for the new model. If only we had been given some hint a new model was on the way . . .
Thanks for any comment.

Hello

Well, from my perspective it's a better dac. But i have assembled a system and taste that is deliberate in getting the most of out my dac or front end. But many people use amps and preamps that like to play boss in their system. Usually gear like this becomes the defining sound in their system. There is nothing wrong with it but it tends  to lose the impact a dac or front end have on the sound.   
So its quite possible that the BDA will perform equally compared to a bda2. However there is a warmer tonal quality that exists on the BDA2 that you don't get on the bda1. You will probably hear this regardless of the system. Well that and the 192 USB also. But the 192 USB is possible too with the bda1 using  an outboard adaptor. So I wouldn't feel too slighted.

bjski

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2012, 07:15 pm »
Hi Werd,
What do you think, I sell my BDA-1 and move to the BDA-2? Sound wise it's worth the upgrade? Not worried about the USB can always get the new adapter. If I get a decent price for my BDA-1 and needed to buy the USB adapter might be the same as buying a BDA-2.
Regards,
BJ :scratch:

werd

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2012, 06:56 pm »
Hi Werd,
What do you think, I sell my BDA-1 and move to the BDA-2? Sound wise it's worth the upgrade? Not worried about the USB can always get the new adapter. If I get a decent price for my BDA-1 and needed to buy the USB adapter might be the same as buying a BDA-2.
Regards,
BJ :scratch:

You get the new AKM dual dacs so from I what heard....... Yes. But I would recommend demoing the 2 at home first. It's going to cost you about 800 bucks to do this so try todemo it first.

Also I think there are 1 of 2 possibilities that are going to happen.

One Bryston is going to phase out the bda1 for the bda2. Or the price on the bda2 is going to go up to over 3k. Not sure which one but the price difference of $200 right now doesn't make sense to me. I would think about that possibility of the new dac going up in price too.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2012, 08:05 pm by werd »

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm »
Werd what about the New BDA-3 ?????
Have you Herd any News ?  :thumb:
Robert

Vipers

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2012, 01:21 pm »
However there is a warmer tonal quality that exists on the BDA2 that you don't get on the bda1. You will probably hear this regardless of the system.

Thanks for all your feedback so far werd, I find the above comment the most interesting though and it is something that I'm looking forward to hearing myself.

I found with my system in the past that there are certain poor recordings that are quite un-listenable, things like the Killers and Kings Of Leon, I put that down to the recording not the BDA-1, but last week I was lucky enough to spend a few days with Naims NDS streamer which costs a cool £12,000 with the power supply and that had a certain warmth to it whilst retaining all the detail which did make those troublesome recordings more listenable, so if the BDA-2 can achieve something similar, which it sounds like it might, then I can't wait to sit down and have a good listen once it arrives.

Keep the feedback coming Werd :thumb:

werd

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:13 pm »
Thanks for all your feedback so far werd, I find the above comment the most interesting though and it is something that I'm looking forward to hearing myself.

I found with my system in the past that there are certain poor recordings that are quite un-listenable, things like the Killers and Kings Of Leon, I put that down to the recording not the BDA-1, but last week I was lucky enough to spend a few days with Naims NDS streamer which costs a cool £12,000 with the power supply and that had a certain warmth to it whilst retaining all the detail which did make those troublesome recordings more listenable, so if the BDA-2 can achieve something similar, which it sounds like it might, then I can't wait to sit down and have a good listen once it arrives.

Keep the feedback coming Werd :thumb:

Hey np vipers.

I find if you look for gear with low distortion and noise bad recordings are far more listenable. Cables and tweaks can help shape the way you like to hear music. Also volume levels too.  It was also never apparent to me until recently that you can tune the tension out of your system too. This was pointed out on the MGA thread on the commercial boards. Just by releasing the tension on your screws in your outlets and in around your system can make your system sound more listenable at louder levels(especially) but at all levels too.

For me there are now 3 aspects to soundstaging. These are prat, resolution and tension.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2012, 12:09 am by werd »

werd

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2012, 02:09 am »
This frickn dac is amazing .....  :icon_lol:

gtaphile

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:59 pm »
My technical review of the BDA-1 and 2.

You are at a party conversing with a beautiful woman....and in walks a goddess.   

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:01 pm »
My technical review of the BDA-1 and 2.

You are at a party conversing with a beautiful woman....and in walks a goddess.   

Gary

Hi Gary

Glad you are liking the BDA2  :thumb:  Got word today we have a stellar review coming on the BDA2 in a major magazine - will post as soon as I get it.

James

Napalm

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2013, 02:08 am »
Say Werd, was your testing done with both tweeters working or is the right one still MIA?

:lol:

werd

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm »
Hi James

Have you ever heard the atlas opus coax in RCA with bnc adapt between your bdp/bda? If not. You should, it takes the beats to another level. Or the Wywires in RCA? That cable is another cable built for the bdp/bda.
Excellent resolution on both but the wywires beats for resolution. The wywires gets right around the instrument with excellent speed. The atlas resolves the fillers with better pace though. The fillers come out all with beats intact.
 Those two cables are amazing with bdp/bda and I have heard lots. You may never push aes button ever again.....lol.