Head-Fi: Battle Of The Flagships (50+ Headphones Compared)

Guy 13

Re: Head-Fi: Battle Of The Flagships (50+ Headphones Compared)
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:19 pm »
Not an exaggeration, I find the review very true.  At that price you would look the same too.

When I heard the headphones I could not believe my ears. I find the Edition 8 a much better headphones, a bit too bassy but better than the Edition 10.

Hi toocool4 and all Audio Circle members.

I did not say the review was not true,
I just think even if something is bad,
you don't have to twist your face like he did.

Guy 13

toocool4

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:32 pm »

I did not say the review was not true,
I just think even if something is bad,
you don't have to twist your face like he did.

Guy 13

I am not so sure at that price, I would be sick.

Check this one out it’s funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZY0qGrA9Y  :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:51 pm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guy 13

saisunil

« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:59 pm »
I have yet to hear a good sounding Ultrasone ... I owned a 2500 model only to get rid of it after going through the break-in period.

I had to send back one of their flagship cause I could not review it without seriously hurting them ... it was for bass-heads and that's it ... you can do better with Grados or ATM50s IMO ...

But this is the best bad review ... no words necessary :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2012, 01:12 pm »

I like this guy :thumb: he is very authentic, without mincing words, as the paper magazines reviews.
Hope the damn thing has not hurt his ears.

2750 green bills is a lot of money even for a great headphone, I also would have a rage attack with this loss.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:12 pm »
Of all the pursuits in audio, headphones and headamps seem to be the items that
are the most highly personal in terms of likes and dislikes.  One person's neutral
is cold and analytical...almost lifeless to another.  One person's Sennheiser veil is
the next person's warm and musical.

I have not heard all of the phones this gentleman listed.  I have however heard and
own several of the phones he does.  I like the methodology he used for ranking them,
but do not agree with his rankings.  Case in point, I would have rated the LCD-2, the
D7000 and the HE500 higher than he did.  Still, the way he provided information was
clearly useful.
regards,
Hibuck.....

randytsuch

« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:59 pm »
I have not heard all of the phones this gentleman listed.  I have however heard and
own several of the phones he does.  I like the methodology he used for ranking them,
but do not agree with his rankings.  Case in point, I would have rated the LCD-2, the
D7000 and the HE500 higher than he did.  Still, the way he provided information was
clearly useful.
regards,
Hibuck.....

Haven't heard them, but the LCD-2 and HE500 were pretty high on the list.  Most of the higher rated cans are in the really expensive, cost no object catergory, the ones that I can only dream of  :green:

I do agree audio and cans are very subjective, which is why I like to read the entire review of a given can to see how he describes it.  It's also good if they give you an idea of their musical tastes and background.

Randy

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:00 pm »
are the most highly personal in terms of likes and dislikes.  One person's neutral
is cold and analytical...almost lifeless to another.  One person's Sennheiser veil is

What he said.

saisunil

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2012, 03:02 am »
18 Phones with B+ or better "VALUE"

HIFIMAN HE-500 [A+]
SENNHEISER HD600 [A+]
BEYERDYNAMIC DT 880 (600 Ohm) [A+]
AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD900 [A+]
SENNHEISER HD800 [A]
HE AUDIO Jade [A]
AUDEZ'E LCD-2 [A]
STAX SR-Sigma [A]
SENNHEISER HD650 [A]
HIFIMAN HE-6 [A-]
BEYERDYNAMIC T1 [A-]
STAX SR-507 [A-]
AKG K501 [A-]
BEYERDYNAMIC DT 660 [A-]
AUDEZ'E LCD-3 [B+]
JH AUDIO JH13 [B+]
AKG K701 [B+]
KAM HP1 [B+]

persisting1

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:16 am »
Thank you for passing on the notes to us. That class starts waaay too early  :wink:

18 Phones with B+ or better "VALUE"

HIFIMAN HE-500 [A+]
SENNHEISER HD600 [A+]
BEYERDYNAMIC DT 880 (600 Ohm) [A+]
AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD900 [A+]
SENNHEISER HD800 [A]
HE AUDIO Jade [A]
AUDEZ'E LCD-2 [A]
STAX SR-Sigma [A]
SENNHEISER HD650 [A]
HIFIMAN HE-6 [A-]
BEYERDYNAMIC T1 [A-]
STAX SR-507 [A-]
AKG K501 [A-]
BEYERDYNAMIC DT 660 [A-]
AUDEZ'E LCD-3 [B+]
JH AUDIO JH13 [B+]
AKG K701 [B+]
KAM HP1 [B+]

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:38 pm »
My first serious cans were Ultrasone OZMA (Alienware version) and they were nice until I heard Grado's and then everything changed and I have yet to hear a good Ultrasone myself now. I don't even consider them which is probably dumb but, I had some and they were just OK. My son loves them so they are being enjoyed.!!
 I just scored some new Amperiors.....I wanted to try something new......I'm pumped.... :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2012, 09:00 pm »

Which makes me glad that the Cable Company has their headphone library program (in addition to their cable library).

steve in jersey

« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2012, 09:01 pm »
Which makes me glad that the Cable Company has their headphone library program (in addition to their cable library).
Yup, I'm kicking myself in the butt on that one!

I could'nt decide between getting Sennheiser HD700 or the HiFiman HE-500. I had the HE-4 sometime ago & though they worked fairly well with the Schiit Lyr (Sorry, no cigar for the Lyr either,even w/ NOS tubes it did'nt complement any other phones other than the Hifiman's) it was lacking in mid range information. Hmm! now that I think about it may that had something to do w/ the Lyr's lack of transparency (I know the Lyr is pretty popular, & as mentioned earlier we all hear things differently I guess).

I made a "blind purchase" of the Senn HD700. No doubt about it , they are very transparent & I can' t detect any frequency deficiencies that stand out, but they have a character that I can't put my figure on that regardless of how much I am pleased with what I'm hearing has left my ears slightly fatigued after listening for an 1.5 or 2hrs . They appear to be "too" efficient for my Burson Soloist as it appears the volume I want to listen at are at half stops of the attenuator. I can delay the onset of fatigue if I leave the volume a half step below (can you bring on fatigue by trying to listen more intensely at a lower volume ?)  I have'nt given up trying to listen to the HD700 , but at this point it's a work in progress & is taking some of the enjoyment out of listening.

So, this brings to the HE-500 which came today(I have Christmas shopping to do yet!!!) I have my Auraliti PK100 set to play the entirety of the 500 CDs that I've dBPoweramp uncompressed lossless FLAC ripped to a USB Hardrive. I listened very briefly when I started. The lower efficiency 38ohm cans appear to be a better match w/ the Soloist. I'll get back to everyone after I put a few days of playback on the HE-500. ( Does an "Audiophiles Anonymous" exist, some please post a link if it does!)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #33 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm »
Hey, my old Stax Sigmas made the list and got an "A"- go, Stax!
I've kept my Sigma Pros since the 1980s and it's nice to see that they still hold up well against everything else.
I've only heard a few of the models that he's listed but I tend to agree with his findings.
FWIW, I got the notion that my Sigmas were old, outdated junk a few years ago and started buying conventional headphones (AKG, Beyerdynamics, Grado) and the funny thing is, I still prefer the Sigmas.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2012, 02:03 am by SteveFord »

saisunil

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm »
I reviewed the Stax 007, I liked them but did not love them and preferred other systems and could not justify their price tag for sure ...
http://stereomojo.com/Stax%20SR%20007%20MarkII%20Heaphones%20Review.htm/StaxSR00MarkIIHeaphonesReview.htm

Apparently, many believe that their own amps could not drive their matching earphones  :duh:
Also their older and cheaper amps were better sounding - having a lot to do with choice of tubes and trannies.

Their new flagship 009 has hit the ball out of the ball park but you have to pay hefty price to be in that game as the matching amp can go from $5k to $10k ... :o

Seems like a properly amped he-500 is the price to performance winner by a wide margin at the moment and good thing mine did not sell when I was trying to

HD 700, I hear, are not exactly younger brother to HD800.
In any case they require serious system matching for them to really put a good show ...

Good luck

ptmconsulting

« Reply #35 on: 7 Dec 2012, 02:35 pm »
A $50K digital front end. Hell, everything should sound awesome plugged into that and those $5K+ head amps.In fact there should be a happy ending when the CD finishes for that kind of dough.  :kiss:

I wonder what he uses when he is not listening to headphones but wants "free air" listening enjoyment?

steve in jersey

« Reply #36 on: 7 Dec 2012, 08:26 pm »
Though the price total of the  "front end" was impressive there was one part of the system I found to be a bit lacking given the overall level of all the other components used.

Some years ago I switched from using a Monster HTS 3500 power conditioner to a PSAudio P500 Power Plant. I was pretty much shocked at how much the "noise floor" of my system dropped. The funny thing was that I was'nt actually aware that "noise" existed. Musical notes appear from a much quieter background that you were'nt aware of before & this was across the board on every recording I listened to. While there is'nt any part of the sound coming from a system using a HTS powerconditioner (like a Monster or others) that can be termed as offensive it may actually be "conditioning" out some of the dynamic contrast in the music. The PSAUDIO PP takes the wall current & regenerates it to a DC like AC (a completely different strategy than is used for Home Theater conditioners) as it turns out that music reproduction is a lot more sensitive to less than clean AC than is thought.

In truth I try to avoid talking about power conditioning, but I believe if you are willing to spend as much on a reference system such as the system described, you may not be getting as much as is actually possible from whatever ( headphones here) you are comparing. (Although they are all at the same disadvantage)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #37 on: 8 Dec 2012, 06:51 am »
I had a similar experience and now try and do whatever I can along those lines. It blew me away how much better things sound when the background noise i never thought was there in the first place went away! Its amazing isnt it?!?! :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:06 am »
Very jocose video, Tyll is a funny guy.
That is what happens when people buy without listening the product.
One thing is sure this E10 phone is very ugly and over priced.
Thanks Tyll for your expense, it was not in vain. :thumb:

Perhaps if he used an appropriate headphone amp and DAC the result would be better. Using an iphone,ipad or mp3 player type gadget like he did will give you these horrendous results - a pro like him should have known this ahead of time that you can't make chicken soup from chicken shit.  :roll:

Mark

mkaiser

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:19 am »
I run my Sennheiser HD800's with a Bryston BHA1 with very good results. The new circuitry Bryston uses now is slightly warmer and a bit more laid back in presentation but containing all the details.

Mark