Audiocubics R-Cube preamp?

Jonathon Janusz

Audiocubics R-Cube preamp?
« on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:10 am »
http://www.audiocubics.com/

I stumbled across this while searching the web for something else yesterday.  I did a search here on AC and didn't find any threads about it.  Just wondering if anyone here knows more about this company and product, and if anyone has heard it to be able to offer some comments on it.

I've been thinking off and on, considering that my system has (and will most likely ever only have) one source (currently a mac mini feeding a Tranquility SE DAC), a simple preamp setup with a remote volume control and a single input might be a way to go for me.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some thoughts!

jmc207

Re: Audiocubics R-Cube preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:16 am »
Nice looking little (3" cube) piece. Do you know anything about what's inside? With 192 volume steps I assume it's some sort of chip based attenuator. Like the fact that is does have remote control.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 01:10 pm »
I've been looking at this as well and searches have revealed precious little about what's inside. I emailed the company and got this response:

The R-cube attenuation section is a network of precision resistors controlled by analog switches, this is followed by a high performance op-amp buffer.

jult52

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:55 pm »
I'd be really interested in reading a review or an assessment by one of you if you end up buying it.  The price appears to be different on main page as in the specs, puzzlingly

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:38 pm »
These units used to go for $149 in Ebay a couple of years back.  They have excellent ratings but as always, take everything with a grain of sand especially in terms of Ebay feedbacks. 

harley52

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:40 pm »
There is a review at Dogago, that's spelled wrong but I'm sure you know the place I mean. Unless my memory is slipping more than usual, I think the price was about $300.

The first three and the last three transactions I had on E-bay all had something not right. From an amp shipped to me in a USPS thin walled box with no packing to being charged way more for shipping than needed to being told power cords cost extra.  :scratch: I'll never go back unless it's a mfr. or a dealer I know well.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm »
http://dagogo.com/

Although I couldn't find the review page.

jmc207

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm »