For Sale: Apogee Caliper Speakers

ptmconsulting

For Sale: Apogee Caliper Speakers
« on: 26 Nov 2012, 06:20 pm »
Apogee Calipers For Sale

$700 - upgraded air coil inductors and upgraded Mills resistors are included, per the restoration notes below.

I have a refurbished pair of Apogee Calipers for sale. The sound on these is glorious and the only reason I am putting them up for sale is because I have stepped up to a pair of Duetta Signatures.

The panels were in good shape so it was worth the effort to restore them. The crossover has been upgraded with new boutique parts (ERSE air-core inductors, Mills resistor, refoamed panel surrounds, stiffened cabinets) and refinished the cabinets with some wood filler, a lot of sanding and some nice metallic grey paint (aka Wilsons).

If you haven't heard an Apogee before then here are some comments comparing it to conventional cone driver loudspeakers:

- more transparent but still not forward sounding, that forwardness or over etched sound and discontinuity with the rest of the speaker kept me away from ribbon tweeters in the past, but that's not the case with these at all
- more dimentional side to side and front to back
- a very nice focus point in the middle for sounstaging and imaging, almost like there is a center speaker present
- just as much dynamic pop as any cone speaker, which I never heard from a panel before vs a cone speaker
- more "of a kind" or "continuous" meaning top to bottom wholeness since both the tweeter and mid/woofer panels are made of the same ribbon material
- no sense of a crossover point or of a different sound between tweeter and woofer
- it is all true ribbon

These now look and sound wonderful. Please contact me directly if you are interested because there are several ways we can go about this sale. These are 20 (25?) year old speakers so I've rated them at about 6/10.

Local pick up from 11762 is preferred. If you want them shipped then you will be responsible for making those plans. I do have a wooden crate that will hold them for shipping, but insurance is highly recommended. The filled crate will weigh about 300lbs.

Thanks, Bob
ptmconsulting@verizon.net

ptmconsulting

Re: For Sale: Apogee Caliper Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2012, 01:00 pm »
These would make a very nice Christmas present for yourself  :thumb:

Come on, you know you wantto hear them  :eyebrows: :singing: :banana piano: :dance: :kiss:

ptmconsulting

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2012, 04:05 pm »
Christmas bump.

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2013, 09:22 pm »
Wow, those are certainly some great speakers, and you did an amazing job restoring them. Someone is going to get a great deal here. Nothing under $5,000 these days will touch them, hell, nothing under $10,000 - new or used.