VR2 subwoofer choices

bogiedr

VR2 subwoofer choices
« on: 25 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm »
I am debating moving the venerable VR2's for a pair of Quasi Ribbon, (Magnepan anyone?), speakers or adding a subwoofer to the VS 2s'. The first subwoofer thought was a REL T2 just to experiment and see how it sounds. I have seen some older VS' subwoofers in EpRay and such ... opinions? Anyone experimented with subs and VR2's? Need your help!!!
Thanks.  :green:

rich58b

Re: VR2 subwoofer choices
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2012, 09:34 pm »
I've had a pair of VR-2's for the last 4 years. I have a Velodyne SPL 15 in the system to fill out the bass, and found it to work rather nicely. My only advice would be to make sure you keep the volume low on the sub. You can go from a nice full bass to booming bass real quick by cranking the sub up too high.
I've recently received a pair of VR-33's, with the new triple wall construction and wired for bi-wiring. I'm in heaven! They're still breaking in, but I don't think I'm going to need the Velodynes any more! 8)
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2012, 07:42 pm by rich58b »

BigSwede

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:06 pm »
I never found much need for a sub with the VR-2s, they went nice and amazingly deep for a small speaker...but it would depend on your room, too.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2012, 12:29 am »
Haven't used VR-2s, but have always found REL subs via speaker level connections to integrate marvelously with speakers. Happily used a Storm III when I had monitors.

Malcolm02

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2012, 06:21 pm »
I have a REL T1 that I use with my VR-33 in a home theater setup. Even with music, with the flexible setup options of the REL, I find it integrates very well.