Lincoln...wow!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lincoln...wow!
« on: 21 Nov 2012, 08:11 am »
Man, I expected it to be great given the advance talk (okay, call it hype if you must) but Lincoln was stunning!  DDL embodied Lincoln to a degree that...well, I'm lost for words.  He was Lincoln.  I just got back from a late, late showing so I don't have much time to gush but suffice it to say that if it's not on the short list for an Oscar there's no point to handing any out this year.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Lincoln...wow!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2012, 01:38 pm »
You nailed it Rob.  Sally Fields was excellent as Mrs. Lincoln, but you never forgot it was Sally Fields.  Daniel Day Lewis simply disappeared into the role of Lincoln.  You simply forgot that you were watching an actor portray a role.  Put this on your must see list. If spite of the hype, you won't be disappointed. 

Scott

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:09 pm »
I want to watch this but from everything I've seen, it seems like they portray the man as much more of a hero than he really was. A great man, sure, but I like my US History factual  :green:

Do they go on and on about how much he wanted to abolish slavery? Because he really didn't care much, it was a ploy to win a war. So long as they get that right, I'm game.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:21 pm »
I also hear they left out all of the stories of vampires Lincoln killed and the FACT that Lincoln would hand  out Lincoln pennies to impress chicks in bars.  What's up with that?

Just kidding, I look forward to seeing this movie.  Even though there will always be people quick to criticize a 2 hour account of a man's entire life.

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:33 pm »
Are you doubting the accuracy of the last Lincoln film? I read it on the internet, it must have been true.

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:47 pm »
I want to take my seven year old to this movie, but when I mentioned it he asked if Lincoln killed any zombies or vampires in it.  I told him I didn't want to spoil the movie by telling him. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2012, 03:09 pm »
You nailed it Rob.  Sally Fields was excellent as Mrs. Lincoln, but you never forgot it was Sally Fields.  Daniel Day Lewis simply disappeared into the role of Lincoln.  You simply forgot that you were watching an actor portray a role.  Put this on your must see list. If spite of the hype, you won't be disappointed. 

Scott

Exactly.  The best description I could add would be to paraphrase Spielberg when during an interview with DD Lewis next to him he said, 'Lincoln is still with me, I mean I know it's the actor sitting here, but emotionally Lincoln hasn't left me'.  I feel the same way, Lincoln hasn't left me since seeing the movie.     

I want to watch this but from everything I've seen, it seems like they portray the man as much more of a hero than he really was. A great man, sure, but I like my US History factual  :green:

Do they go on and on about how much he wanted to abolish slavery? Because he really didn't care much, it was a ploy to win a war. So long as they get that right, I'm game.

Not exactly accurate.  Lincoln was not an abolitionist when he ran for the office, nor did he ever think of African Americans as equals in reality.  And the Emancipation Proclamation was a wartime instrument to pressure the South.  However he did believe African Americans to be equal under the law and that the institution of slavery to be an abomination.  So his fervent support of passage of the 13th Amendment portrayed in the movie is accurate.  His main goal was unwaveringly the preservation of the Union and the subordination of States Rights beneath Federal authority, but he was transformed by the war and the death of Willie and became more spiritual in all ways, including sympathy for the slaves.     

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2012, 06:57 am »
Wish I could have seen this movie but it's destined for a short run in the theatres so chances are I'll be waitiing a year or so when it hits the premium channels. But this threat has wetten my anticipation for a future viewing opportunity.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2012, 09:58 am »
"The problem with the Internet is that most of the facts are made up" - A. Lincoln

One of my all time favorite signature lines.

The movie sounds like a good one.

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:39 pm »
Spielberg does not settle for mediocrity.  Finally something to look forward to at the theater.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2012, 05:05 pm »
Cowboys and Aliens? The Transformers?   Men in Black 3?  These all seem pretty
mediocre.

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2012, 05:18 pm »
Cowboys and Aliens? The Transformers?   Men in Black 3?  These all seem pretty
mediocre.

Good point.  But for MIB 3 & Cowboys & Aliens I give you Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.   I'll say he doesn't settle for mediocrity most of the time.  More on target than not.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2012, 05:22 pm »
I can't believe Spielberg left out the fact that Lincoln worked as a French model during his college years!  At least that is what I read on the Internet....

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone

Randy

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:33 am »
I was a little disappointed that the time he spend destroying vampires was also omitted.  Oh well, given time constraints I guess they had to just hit the high points! :lol:

Seriously though, a stellar film. :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2012, 04:17 pm »

Agreed. If the movie perpetuates Lincoln as the "Great Emancipator," then it is a historical inaccuracy. 

jonbee

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2012, 04:46 am »
I saw Lincoln. It is a GREAT movie; a classic, I think. Really brings that whole era, and the man himself to life in a most realistic way. As a sometime student of Lincoln, DDL embodies the man as I have always pictured him.
As to  the "truth" of Lincoln's position on slavery, he was on record many, many times as opposing it for the last 15 years of his life.
Frederick Douglass said of him: "Though Mr. Lincoln shared the prejudices of his white fellow-countrymen against the Negro, it is hardly necessary to say that in his heart of hearts he loathed and hated slavery..."
and said he was America's "greatest President." in his autobiography.

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:16 am »
I saw Lincoln. It is a GREAT movie; a classic, I think. Really brings that whole era, and the man himself to life in a most realistic way. As a sometime student of Lincoln, DDL embodies the man as I have always pictured him.
As to  the "truth" of Lincoln's position on slavery, he was on record many, many times as opposing it for the last 15 years of his life.
Frederick Douglass said of him: "Though Mr. Lincoln shared the prejudices of his white fellow-countrymen against the Negro, it is hardly necessary to say that in his heart of hearts he loathed and hated slavery..."
and said he was America's "greatest President." in his autobiography.

Lincoln wanted to win a war, plain and simple. In 1862, the number of volunteers to the Union army dropped sharply, so Lincoln needed soldiers. Here's what he said -- “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save the Union by freeing all the slaves I would do it. And if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that.” 

Back on topic -- sounds like a great movie. Based on the comments here, it may be worth seeing for the superb acting.

jonbee

« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:48 am »
Most of the movie revolves around one short period of time- January, 1865, and one main story line. The war was considered all but won at that point, and Lincoln turned his attention to getting the 13th amendment passed. This is the story Spielberg chose to tell- in great detail, and with a high degree of historic accuracy.
The movie deals with many facets of the war, political expediency, racism, slavery, and the mixture and conflicts of opinions and motivations on all sides, including Lincoln's, and the way they were all woven together to form the outcome- the passage of the constitutional amendment.
For me, that is why it is not just a good movie, but a great one. I found nothing sugar coated, including Lincoln, but it does justice to a great, complex story, well told and acted in all its nuance. Not a simple movie- a thoughtful work that shows greatness at work in the messiness of the real world, not in some simplistic fantasyland.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2012, 06:59 am by jonbee »

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2012, 07:11 am »
Most of the movie revolves around one short period of time- January, 1865, and one main story line. The war was considered all but won at that point, and Lincoln turned his attention to getting the 13th amendment passed. This is the story Spielberg chose to tell- in great detail, and with a high degree of historic accuracy.
The movie deals with many facets of the war, political expediency, racism, slavery, and the mixture and conflicts of opinions and motivations on all sides, including Lincoln's, and the way they were all woven together to form the outcome- the passage of the constitutional amendment.
For me, that is why it is not just a good movie, but a great one. I found nothing sugar coated, including Lincoln, but it does justice to a great, complex story, well told and acted in all its nuance. Not a simple movie- a thoughtful work that shows greatness at work in the messiness of the real world, not in some simplistic fantasyland.

You just made me want to see it.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2012, 07:59 am »
Saw it tonight. Great film. People here making comments about is it the 'real' Lincoln without seeing it will miss the point. The film is about the process and showing how messy and sometimes unethical that process was. Spielberg shows a huge amount of restraint with very little to no epic sweeping shots, only a modicum of shmaltz, and only a few minutes spent on some borderline annoying kid. This is a VERY well written film, and DDL WILL win an Oscar, as will Sally Field most likely. Nominations will go to Jones and Strathairn and Holbrook.

Much of the 'well he wasn't the great emancipator, etc.' viewpoint as well as other viewpoints are dealt with or implied through the film. But not with a hammer over the head. It's all in DDL's performance. When he talks to the servant girl and ASKS her questions DDL did a f*cking amazing job with just his eyes showing skepticism and doubt. He grills her, but in the same probing way he approached everything else. He's not just hugging black people and going all Rob Schneider shouting 'you can do it!'. Frankly one of the unique things about the film is that it doesn't focus a whole lot on African Americans directly - much of it has to do with the balancing act between what is just and moral and what is law.

The moral compass of the film is Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens, not Lincoln, and in a sense is really the 'great emancipator' as portrayed in the film.

It's not Spielberg's best dramatic film - Schindler takes that for me (I hated Saving Private Ryan except for the first 20min), but I think it's the best acting in a Spielberg film for sure.