Specimen Hornlet

srb

Specimen Hornlet
« on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:51 pm »
I came across these speakers, the Specimen Hornlets ($1200), in a Hammacher Schlemmer catalog and thought they were a unique combination of desktop audio, classic artwork and old world craftsmanship.

It turns out the company, Specimen Products in Chicago, is also a unique and interesting company that manufactures guitars, ukuleles, mandolins, lutes and other stringed instruments as well as tube guitar amps, tube hi-fi amps and horn speakers, and in 2005 opened the Chicago School of Guitar Making to teach traditional methods of guitar making and repair.

I wasn't sure whether to post this in Enclosures or Single Driver, Wide-Bandwith Speakers, but I chose to post it here as the majority of the models use 3" - 4" Fostex or 6" Eminence full-range drivers (although a few of the very large models use woofers and compression tweeters).

What caught my eye was the vintage look and use of materials.  In the case of the smallest Hornlets, a 5" Baltic Birch plywood cube with a front mounted Fostex 3" full-range driver and a top mounted octagonal horn hand built from recycled newsprint, dryer lint and shellac.  Yes, dryer lint! ("Dryer lint is one of earth's greatest squandered resources and we are now putting it to use. It has incredible strength from all the interlocking fibers").  Available in Natural, Walnut, Green, Orange and Red.

Steve

JohnR

Re: Specimen Hornlet
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:58 am »
I knew there had to be more untapped DIY speaker resources right here in the house!

Interesting find, thanks :thumb:

srb

Re: Specimen Hornlet
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:08 am »
Even though I've built box speaker cabinets and also did some Papier-mâché (French for "chewed paper") projects as a kid, I don't know if I could make those horns no matter how much recycled newsprint, dryer lint and shellac I had!

(Maybe I should start saving my dryer lint, just in case)

Steve