DS-21 with egg

DS-21

DS-21 with egg
« on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:13 pm »
And if you have yet to experience the performance difference from higher quality wires and connectors then there is a whole new world ahead of you. Welcome to high end audio.

The only appropriate retort to that kind of pathetic nonsense hucksterism today is, "you keep saying that, but he won, Karl. He won."

And now that you're going to delete this comment or get a moderator to do it for you (because reality doesn't fit well in your echo chamber) on to your next "best ever" bit of shallow sales-hackery. I just find it amusing to know that a pair of Usher speakers you allegedly designed got spanked in a blind comparison by Behringer B2030P's and little KEF eggs. How can you "hear" "higher quality" wires and connectors, but you can't hear the audibly deleterious effects of a midrange polar map that looks like a mushroom cloud?

jn316

Re: DS-21 with egg
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:26 pm »
Having a bad day, DS-21?

:(

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:27 pm »
The only appropriate retort to that kind of pathetic nonsense hucksterism today is, "you keep saying that, but he won, Karl. He won."

And now that you're going to delete this comment or get a moderator to do it for you (because reality doesn't fit well in your echo chamber) on to your next "best ever" bit of shallow sales-hackery. I just find it amusing to know that a pair of Usher speakers you allegedly designed got spanked in a blind comparison by Behringer B2030P's and little KEF eggs. How can you "hear" "higher quality" wires and connectors, but you can't hear the audibly deleterious effects of a midrange polar map that looks like a mushroom cloud?

Allegedly designed? This doesn't make sense.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:32 pm »
Having a bad day, DS-21?

:(

If you read previous posts, no worse than any other day!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:46 pm »
I just figured out what the DS stands for. Remember what your Mom used to tell you about "if you can't say something nice.... Wow, someone needs a nap.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm »
DS-21, you are only making yourself look bad. I think I may leave your post for a while. Why should I wipe the egg from you face if you are the one putting it there.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2012, 11:08 pm »
Danny, yes let him twist in the wind. He earned the privilege.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:15 am »
DS-21, you are only making yourself look bad. I think I may leave your post for a while. Why should I wipe the egg from you face if you are the one putting it there.

Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.

I hope I am not like DS-21. (LOL)

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:25 am »
Not a great idea. Spikes don't have any give, so how would they stop the main panel shaking from the bass cabinet vibrations?

If you want something easy, buy some sorbothane feet off of Amazon, stick 'em on the bottom, and done.

If you really want isolation, look at Siegfried Linkwitz's new dipole. LX521 or something like that. He uses the best possible decoupler: empty space, by means of a "bridge"  that leaves a gap between woofer box and the upper panel.

Hi DS-21 and all Audio Circle members.

Thanks for the info,
however, that way of doing, with my V1 is not practicle.

Guy 13

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:26 am »
It's alright, a little fire lets out some really technical discussions that I enjoy a lot. Please don't delete anything, we're all adults here.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:31 am »
Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.

I hope I am not like DS-21. (LOL)

Do you think the majority of audiophiles are "audiphools", "idiots", "delusional", "untrained", "pathetic", "nonsensical", "shallow" or "hucksters", and that much of the time design "trash" or "garbage"?

If not, then no.   ;)

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:35 am »
The "bridge" seems like a good idea. sfdoddsy did it with his "Bob" speakers ages ago. But why not use legs instead? Kinda like this:

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:39 am »
The "bridge" seems like a good idea. sfdoddsy did it with his "Bob" speakers ages ago. But why not use legs instead? Kinda like this:

Hi JohnR and all Audio Circle members.

To be on axis with the top driver(s),
you have to sit down on a step stool that is 50 feet high. (LOL)

Guy 13

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:44 am »

Do you think the majority of audiophiles are "audiphools", "idiots", "delusional", "untrained", "pathetic", "nonsensical", "shallow" or "hucksters", and that much of the time design "trash" or "garbage"?

If not, then no.   ;)

Steve
:thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2012, 05:40 am »
I did pretty well with the last one I came across.  I'll give this one a shot. :)

The common definition of the word "box" does not cover what Mr. Linkwitz did. After all, his bridge has three open sides!

. . . but rather just using it as an example to show best practices for separating bass bins from mid/treble.

. . . I think the "box" Danny was referring to was the frame the woofers were built in, as opposed to the "bridge" holding up the mid/tweeter.  Regarding the structure of the "bridge", do you believe the bridge, as specified and pictured by SL, made of commonly available dimensional sheet products, is the most sturdy/resonance resistant of designs?  Without some sort of additional supports to add rigidity, it looks to me like a very simply made table that would wobble side to side due to construction (no support for the sides other than the joint between the top and the legs/side panels) and possibly front to back due to design (side panels flat across their entire depth being contact with the floor).  Wouldn't smaller contact points to the floor/ground (true legs) as well as some sort of either angled or lower support structure for the sides/legs  (again, basically building a true table rather than a U-shaped bridge) add better stability overall?

. . .open baffle speakers require room placement that I find unacceptable. . .

I'm genuinely curious for an elaboration on this point.  Considering the potential advantages of an open baffle design (or, considering we are in Danny's circle, let's say an open baffle design featuring an improved sound directivity pattern and a driver/crossover arrangement avoiding the pitfalls you mentioned a dislike for in the blog entry you linked me to in another recent thread - thank you for the read, by the way), what in particular in placing open baffle speakers in a room makes them unacceptable to you?

Another (maybe related) question to you:  Would it be safe to say, that your preferred (only acceptable?) configuration of speaker is:

a controlled directivity, limited frequency range, sealed cabinet design

incorporates a minimal crossover

includes at worst an equally controlled directivity tweeter crossed very high

some sort of swarmed configuration of subwoofers

a commonly furnished untreated listening room and careful mathematical placement of speakers

uses reasonably priced and available electronics and accessory products

these products relying on their strength of design alone in delivering their final qualities, disregarding type/quality of component parts other than to the extent that they serve their function in the design of whatever component they are used in.

Do I have this about right?  I'm just asking because you seem very adamant - and negative - in discussing an approach to system design that strays from this path, and I just want to make sure I understand your viewpoint to look beyond the negativity and think for myself how to apply your chosen philosophy to whatever subject be at hand.

Thanks again for any clarification!

DS-21

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:58 pm »
I'm genuinely curious for an elaboration on this point.  Considering the potential advantages of an open baffle design (or, considering we are in Danny's circle, let's say an open baffle design featuring an improved sound directivity pattern and a driver/crossover arrangement avoiding the pitfalls you mentioned a dislike for in the blog entry you linked me to in another recent thread - thank you for the read, by the way), what in particular in placing open baffle speakers in a room makes them unacceptable to you?

I'm not going to shove my speakers way out into the room. Audio should be heard and not seen. Not only does that make a room look better, but also it improves the sonic illusion by not giving one visual focal points to constrain the sonic image.

IAnother (maybe related) question to you:  Would it be safe to say, that your preferred (only acceptable?) configuration of speaker is:

a controlled directivity, limited frequency range, sealed cabinet design

Cardoid cabinet would work in theory too, though I haven't personally tried it beyond listening to a friend's Gradient Revolutions. Simple impatience is the reason I'm not experimenting with cardoids for my next speakers.

And BW need not be limited. The mains should also be used as part of the solution in the modal range. But I wouldn't use vented or passive radiator enclosures anywhere but in the multisubs.

incorporates a minimal crossover

No. I'm fine with a crossover of whatever complexity required to get the job done, which includes blending the drivers and suppressing out-of-band peaks adequately as well as adequately limiting the excursion of smaller drivers. A circuit's a circuit. I don't care what it looks like, as long as the end product is smooth design-axis response voiced as intended, with smooth power response.

And I don't need "boutique" parts from con men for said crossovers. You look inside a Revel Salon2 or KEF Reference or even TAD Compact Reference One, and you'll see "cheap" crossover parts.

iincludes at worst an equally controlled directivity tweeter crossed very high

No. Tweeter crossover is determined entirely by the desired midrange directivity and the size of the midrange. And if a given part is unsuitably for that, for whatever reason (can't get low enough, problems mating it to a suitable waveguide, whatever), the right answer is not to kludge the design but to pick a new tweeter. (Yes, drivers are just "parts" to those of us who care about music more than gear.") Any other approach there is simply flawed.

My previous speakers (Tannoy 12" Dual Concentrics) had a 90deg pattern, and a ~1.4kHz crossover. My currently under-construction speakers will have about a 2.5kHz crossover, because that's where the directivity of the magnesium cone midrange matches that of its concentric ceramic-graphite tweeter. (The cone forms a roughly 120deg waveguide.) And I'm fine with multiway speakers, too. Those under-construction speakers could be considered a four-way design, with a 5" concentric driver flanked by 7" woofers in an upper module,  and a "stand" containing a 12" woofer used as a Parham-style "flanking sub." (Passive crossover for the concentric and midbasses, active between midbasses and flanking subs. And apropos to this thread, the mains will sit on Sorbothane bumpers. Not "audiophile approved" ones, but standard ones sold at appropriate markup on Amazon.)

I would still be using the Tannoys, but they were unslightly in my new living room. I needed something narrower. Also, given the distance between the speakers and the sidewalls, I think a wider directivity speaker is beneficial in this home.

isome sort of swarmed configuration of subwoofers

Yes. Multiple subwoofers are absolutely required for high-fidelity reproduction in the modal region. Anyone who claims otherwise simply hasn't experienced high fidelity bass at home.

a commonly furnished untreated listening room and careful mathematical placement of speakers

I will not mutilate my room with eyesore "room treatments," but instead design the speakers for that room. People who cannot design speakers for a given room may need some room mutilation for best sound.

uses reasonably priced and available electronics and accessory products

I'm indifferent here. For electronics, good quality expensive stuff is fine, as is good quality cheap stuff. Cheap crap is not, and expensive crap is not. Too much "high end" gear falls into the "expensive crap" category. As for wires, etc., as long as one isn't incompetent about selecting them they will have no impact. If you have to look at them, expensive stuff may be better. (I do finish my wires with techflex and "boutique" ends wherever they're exposed in the room..) But electronics (DSP room correction excepted) are commodity parts, and obviously anyone who wants to tell you s/he can "hear differences" in caps, etc. of the same values is simply functionally deaf.

Oh, and a good modern AVR (such as the Anthem MRX line, or the old Sherwood R972) will sound better than the best separates, if the onboard room correction suite is competently used. The best outboard DSP's (Trinnov, Dirac) more likely than not offer improvements over the AVRs, in the hands of an expert user.

these products relying on their strength of design alone in delivering their final qualities, disregarding type/quality of component parts other than to the extent that they serve their function in the design of whatever component they are used in.

There is no "design" to speak of in most audio "accessory products." Assuming one excludes the advertising copy!
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012, 11:55 pm by DS-21 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:40 am »
I'm not going to shove my speakers way out into the room.

And I don't need "boutique" parts from con men for said crossovers.

I will not mutilate my room with eyesore "room treatments,"

I'm indifferent here. For electronics, good quality expensive stuff is fine, as is good quality cheap stuff.

As for wires, etc., as long as one isn't incompetent about selecting them they will have no impact.

and obviously anyone who wants to tell you s/he can "hear differences" in caps, etc. of the same values is simply functionally deaf.

Oh, and a good modern AVR (such as the Anthem MRX line, or the old Sherwood R972) will sound better than the best separates,

So let me get this straight.  :lol:  So your speakers sit against the wall. You have no room treatments. Your inexpensive receiver sounds just as good as the best separates. Wire is wire and will have no impact on the sound. And of course all capacitors sound the same. Yet those of us (everyone else in high end audio) that think we can hear differences in these things are the deaf ones.  :lol:  Don't forget to tell us that the world is flat.

I think you should post this info everywhere all over the Internet in every audio forum. It should be your personal mission to save all of us from wasting our money and fooling ourselves with all of this hype.  :roll: 

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:44 am »
And hey DS-21. I didn't delete your post. I once again left it there for all to see. It looks good on you.

TrungT

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:51 am »
SECRET SPEAKER TRICKS AND TWEAKS, for better sound  :thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXEMjxocFn8

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:04 am »
Very funny all around  :green:, shots fired. Ok DS-21, defend your position and I'm sure Danny will respond in kind like the gentleman he is.