Controling my pc with a tablet/ipad

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Controling my pc with a tablet/ipad
« on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:39 pm »
Sitting in my lounge chair with some scotch and the lights dimmed is what I prefer during a listening session. Sitting in front of a full on monitor is not as enjoyable for me. Using a remote device to control the playlist or Pandora settings is what I want. Anyone here using such a setup? I have an ipad but would consider something else if it proved to work better with available apps.
I have been researching this but wanted to hear from anyone that may have first hand experience.
Thanks,
Bob

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Controling my pc with a tablet/ipad
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:43 pm »
I use a PC netbook to remote control my MS-1. 

Foobar2000 has components for remote operation.  I have tried Android devices, but so far they can only do play lists.  The netbook as full access to the library.

There is also a component for Apple remote control.   I have not tried it as I have no Apple devices that work.

toddbagwell

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:27 pm »
I use an iPad and either apple's itunes remote app or an app called Remoter VNC to control the computer itself.

Todd

chip

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:05 pm »
what piece of software are you using top playback your music? Also are you running windows OS or Apple?

Some options for Windows OS:

Software & Ipad remotes
1) Jriver music & Gizmo app or Jremote

2) Foobar & Monkeymote

3) Squeezeplay/Logitech Media Server & Logitech Squeezebox Controller - If you have a paid Pandora acct then you can control Pandora from the remote app as well.

I use squeezeplay mainly because of the Pandora option. I have foobar installed on my HTPC as well to play around with it but it doesn't offer Pandora. You do need to run Logitech Media Server on something as well so it is actually 2 pieces of software on the PC side of things.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:52 pm »
On my iPad I use the Remote app to control foobar,
The Log Me In app to control the computer, plus various other apps to control either the AVR or the rest of the system.

Bob2

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2012, 06:38 pm »
Thanks for the response everyone.
Currently I am running windows 7 and using media player.
I have tried Foobar and Jriver but didn't see any advantage from either. This may be related to my ignorance though....
Not a fan of itunes really..no offense meant!
Logitech Squeezebox was not something I have considered. If this would work well with Pandora that would be of interest.
I was looking at LogMeIn Ignition, Wyse PocketCloud Pro (which looks good feature wise) this morning.
Really looking to change stations on Pandora and create/ modify playlists. This interest started last night when I managed to knock
over my glass containing a couple of fingers of some really lovely scotch while getting up to make some changes.
Probably because I'm getting more clumsy in my advanced age!!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:47 pm »
Bob2,
Are you using a USB DAC with the system?  Is the Windows 7 driver WASAPI or ASIO compliant?  Those are the bit perfect drivers.

If so, using those drivers instead of the Windows 7 Direct Sound driver should sound much better. 

hot3288

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:27 pm »
Hi,
I have an android tablet (Asus Transformer prime) and I'm using a version of Splashtop Streamer (comes free with this tablet otherwise available on the Google Play store for a price) to control my PC desktop.  Works very well and the setup is extremely easy.  If you have a windows laptop/tablet instead of an android tablet, you could do similar control with Windows Remote Desktop as long as the PC that you want to control has Windows Professional or Enterprise on it.  Hope that helps.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:05 am »
Sitting in my lounge chair with some scotch and the lights dimmed is what I prefer during a listening session. Sitting in front of a full on monitor is not as enjoyable for me.

Have you thought about turning down the light level of the screen while listening to music?

Bob2

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:44 am »
Hal,
no DAC in line. That will be my next purchase.

hot3288,
Splashtop Streamer, I will look into that. Thanks!

charmerci,
I usually turn the monitor off. Controlling it remotely is preferred. I have a bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse but sit too far away to see the monitor anyway.
Thanks.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:02 pm »
Are you using the internal PC soundcard with Windows 7 and Windows Media player?  If so, you can still use most of the players that do bit perfect playback with the soundcard.  The WASAPI interface or ASIO interface should sound better than Direct Sound if it supports the motherboard soundcard.  Depends on the soundcard driver in use.

Foobar2000 will support those by installing the WASAPI or ASIO driver component.

Install the Apple remote control component.  There are a few steps, but the website will walk you through them. 

That should get your remote capability with the iPad running and give better sound quality.

Bob2

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:16 pm »
Hal,
I'm using an ASUS PCI-Express x1 Sound Card XONAR ESSENCE STX/90.
Setup for 2ch. pcm using rca output for my tube amp..Will use optical out when I pick up a DAC.
I'll have to plead ignorance as far as wether it is a WASAPI or ASIO interface.
Most of the computer work I do is CAD/CAM related or ripping cd's. Hardware and infrastructure is way out of my field.
Bob2

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:44 pm »
That soundcard is ASIO 2 compliant for the driver.  This means that you should be able to drive it bit perfectly up to 24bit/192KHz on the PC with a player that supports ASIO. 

Foobar2000 will do this as do others. 

Bob2

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2012, 11:51 pm »
Wanted to update this topic.
Finally got around to loading VNC Remote.
Works well with very little latency issues.
Thanks to everyone that offered their ideas and information.
Hopefully no more spilled beverages!! 8)

Telstar

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2012, 10:26 am »
I heard that Jriver and Jremote app are very nice. But what do you need to enable on the computer side for it to work?
I have LAN and most services disabled.

Bob2

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2012, 01:08 pm »
After loading VNC on the pc and the app on the ipad the only thing I did was configure the firewall to make an exception for remote use. Have not used Jriver so I cannot comment on that.