Streaming to Airplay from Synology NAS

JohnR

Streaming to Airplay from Synology NAS
« on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:53 am »
I just read about this. Actually I was thinking about buying one and noticed it on the feature list:

http://www.synology.com/dsm/home_home_applications_audio_station.php?lang=enu (scroll down)

I was just wondering if anyone here might have used it?

Also, what Airplay playback devices are there, other than AE and ATV?

Crimson

Re: Streaming to Airplay from Synology NAS
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2012, 12:08 pm »
Back when I used NAS at home, quite a few manufacturers included iTunes Server (the precursor to Airplay) as part of the NAS' firmware. While it seemed to work ok, updates to iTunes Server by Apple were slow to trickle down to each manufacturers individual updates. Some didn't even bother.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2012, 12:11 pm »
Back when I used NAS at home, quite a few manufacturers included iTunes Server (the precursor to Airplay) as part of the NAS' firmware. While it seemed to work ok, updates to iTunes Server by Apple were slow to trickle down to each manufacturers individual updates. Some didn't even bother.
Why do you not use one anymore?

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2012, 01:11 pm »
My experience with NAS was not good. When I went with a simpler  non-networked hard drive, my life became a lot easier.

That was a few years ago and I'm reconsidering the Synology NAS. My family pictures/videos and music library is getting too big for single non- expandable hard drives.

I keep putting off the move to the Synolgy for several reasons: my current set up is completely stable and I'm skeptical of the how smooth Airplay will run, and the expense of the Synology along with  back up drives.

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:28 am »
Why do you not use one anymore?

Price and performance. A dedicated Mac with attached storage is more powerful and almost cheaper than a NAS equivalent for its intended purpose, IMO.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:50 am »
A dedicated Mac with attached storage is more powerful and almost cheaper than a NAS equivalent for its intended purpose, IMO.

I agree somewhat, and I was prepping my old mini for duty as a file server but it died. RIP 1st gen mini, I'm sorry I asked you to come out of retirement like that. However I don't get "almost cheaper" as new mini = $700 (in local inflated Apple pricing) plus drives and enclosures, vs eg $319 for Synology DS411slim, and ... OK, $659 for DS412+, each plus drives, no enclosure needed obviously.

There is also the matter of Windows support, which I am unfortunately obliged to take on. I do like the idea of a web-based interface which the rest of the household can use to play music to a system set up for the purpose... Still thinking...

lokie

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm »
If your comfortable buying used, the sweet spot for used minis is the 2009/10's... Usually go for around $300-$400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181019506899?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Are you guys talking about using airplay without a computer? How does that work? ex.: monitors, various software like file converters, etc..

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm »
Are you guys talking about using airplay without a computer?

The idea is that the library is on the NAS and you use a web interface or phone/tablet to control playback.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 04:59 pm »
I have played around a bit with the Synology Audio Station application on my basic single drive Synology NAS (~$150 plus drive).  It works, but some quirks and lack of some features have kept me from replacing iTunes and J. River Media Center.  Here are some things I've discovered so far:

Audio Station Web Interface
The web interface leaves a bit to be desired, and can be frustrating.  When trying to size columns for both the library and player queue panes, dragging a column division to the right to make it wider causes the columns to the left of it to contract, and dragging it to the left to make it narrower causes the columns to the left of it to expand.  It took way too much back and forth sizing to get all of the columns to display just right.

When you close and reopen the application it doesn't retain the size of split between the library and player queue panes and you must resize it each time.  The column header order and selection is retained, but the column widths may have to be re-tweaked a bit.  If there was the option to have library and player panes split horizontally, more columns could be displayed with a wider width.

The available column headers to display tag info are limited to Track, Duration, Title, Artist, Album, Album Artist, Composer, Genre, Year and Disc.  There is no option to display Word Length (Bits), Sampling Rate, Bit Rate, File Type, Comments or other tags.

A small cover art graphic is displayed for the playing song, but otherwise there are no graphics or thumbnails in any of the artist or album lists.  List View or Artwork View can be selected (but it is global and each folder does not remember its view as in iTunes or J. River) and Cover Flow View is available for the Artist and Album folders.  In all cases, the cover art graphics take way too long to load and need to refresh when clicking on a different folder.

There is the ability to create Smart Playlists along with regular static playlists, but there is no DJ (iTunes) or Play Doctor (J. River) intelligent randomizer, although there is a default "Random100" library folder.

Audio Station File Types
I can play all file types to any of the AirPlay devices, but I cannot play AIFF, ALAC, FLAC or WAV on the local computer.  I have read that some of the Synology models can transcode these file types for local play, but my basic (older) DS110j model does not.

A workaround would be to also enable the NAS as an iTunes server, then iTunes could be run on any PC or Mac (with view Shared Libraries enabled on the Preferences > General tab) and play the NAS library and see its playlists without any file type limitations.  However, using iTunes shared libraries only lets you see the songs and playlists in a linear list view with no cover art or groupings, which is simply a limitation of iTunes shared libraries. 

Synology says that "USB Speakers" can be directly connected to the USB port on the NAS, so a typical USB external DAC should also be able to be connected which might be a good way to go for the main system, provided the NAS is within ~15 feet or less.

I don't have any AirPlay devices other than Airport Express, so I don't know if it will work exactly the same with all of the third party devices (I would expect it would if they are built to the AirPlay standard), but all file types were able to stream to the Airport Express (except older iTunes AAC Protected files).

Audio Station Queues
There is a separate queue for the local computer logged into the NAS (called "Streaming Mode"), a separate queue for each AirPlay device and a separate queue for 'Multiple AirPlay Devices', so each Airplay location can play different music, or some or all of the locations can play from a common queue.

You can give users access to a shared library, their own personal library (located in their home/music folder) or to both.

Internet Radio
I could not get AAC+ audio streams to play at all, but mp3 streams played fine.

iPod/iPhone/iPad Interface (DS Audio)
Although you could use a web browser to log into Audio Station on the NAS (well at least the larger iPads, the iPod and iPhone are just too small to make it workable), there are free Synology apps available for the iPhone/iPod and the iPad called DS Audio.  It looks very similar to Apple's Remote app with a few minor differences and the Album View does not display any cover art thumbnails.

From the DS Audio app, you can select which AirPlay location to stream to, just as in the Apple's Remote app (and a number of other iOS apps).

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2012, 08:12 pm by srb »

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:18 am »
Thank you Steve, for the detailed description of pros and cons :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm »
Thanks Steve... You confirmed my suspicions.

What about using the Synology without the airplay and as a straight forward NAS/external HD?

Regarding back up: I was thinking of using the Synology as a house wide database server and backing up pictures on one single drive and music on another single drive and videos... etc...

It would also be cool if I could use airplay for streaming to my back deck system or other non-critical zones. Don't know if you can do a blend of Itunes and airplay. So... use my itunes library on the big rig and utilize airplay streaming internet radio and MOG by the pool.

Wondering if sound quality will take a hit (on the big rig) and if you can do a blend of the services or if it's even necessary. Still a little fuzzy on all this.

WC

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:32 pm »
I have my iTunes library on a Lacie NAS drive. I have a computer by my main audio system. I use the Apple remote app to control iTunes on the computer. Computer is always on so iTunes is always ready. I also have an AppleTV which I can control with the iTunes app also. I usually airplay MOG from my iPad to the AppleTV. I can also play the MOG app on the computer and airplay to the AppleTV, but I would actually have to control it at the computer so that is less convenient. I tested out using Airfoil on the computer to allow use of the Apple Remote app on the iPad to control the iTunes library and airplay the output to my iPhone using airfoil speakers. It worked, but if you want to play it through the computer you have to go back to the computer to toggle it. Should work the same way with the airport express or other airplay receiver. Turns out to be easier to use the music app on the iPhone to play the iTunes library.

When I finish my deck, zone 2 on my AVR will be powering the deck speakers. Set up to come from the computer playing iTunes.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:47 pm »
What about using the Synology without the airplay and as a straight forward NAS/external HD?
It obviously works great as a fileserver and backup device.  I currently use mine simultaneously as a Windows Media Center Recorded TV server and for daily system backup.

Regarding back up: I was thinking of using the Synology as a house wide database server and backing up pictures on one single drive and music on another single drive and videos... etc...
Although I only have a single drive model, I don't see any option for directing a particular backup set to a particular drive, unless each is originating from a different computer with it's own instance of backup software.  It may be possible with third party backup software, but it doesn't look like a possibility with the included Synology Data Replicator 3 software.

It would also be cool if I could use airplay for streaming to my back deck system or other noncritical zones. Don't know if you can do a blend of iTunes and airplay. So... use my iTunes library on the big rig and utilize airplay streaming internet radio and MOG by the pool.
Sure, you can have a NAS shared folder as your iTunes Media Folder location (or J. River or whatever file player of choice) and stream Internet Radio to AirPlay devices from the Synology Audio Station application (the same stream or a different stream to each AirPlay location).  The iTunes Server app can also enable that same library to appear as a shared library to any other iTunes PC or Mac.

Wondering if sound quality will take a hit (on the big rig) and if you can do a blend of the services or if it's even necessary. Still a little fuzzy on all this.
My single drive DS110j has the slowest processor and least memory (800MHz/128MB DDR2), and there doesn't seem to be any problems or performance degradation with my small amount of concurrent tasks, such as simultaneously playing high-res music through iTunes or J. River and streaming three different radio stations to three AirPlay locations.  The more users and data streams you request, the more processor power and memory will be needed.

As you work up the line in cost, the processor and memory increase.  The current Home and Small Office line ranges from the single drive DS112j (1.0GHz/128MB DDR2) to the 4-drive DS413j (1.6GHz/512MB DDR3).  The Home to Business Workgroup line ranges from the single drive DS112 (1.6GHz/256MB DDR3) to the 4-drive DS413 (1.067GHz Dual Core/1GB DDR3).

Steve

lokie

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm »
Thanks Steve for your thoughtful answer.

Although I only have a single drive model, I don't see any option for directing a particular backup set to a particular drive, unless each is originating from a different computer with it's own instance of backup software.  It may be possible with third party backup software, but it doesn't look like a possibility with the included Synology Data Replicator 3 software.

I was thinking I would do it manually, as home use doesn't require daily back up... more like monthly or less depending on input.

If you relied on the Synology Data Replicator 3 software, what would you back up to? I think I know the answer which sounds prohibitively expensive.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:51 pm »
If you relied on the Synology Data Replicator 3 software, what would you back up to? I think I know the answer which sounds prohibitively expensive.

Not sure I understand the exact question, but

Backing up Windows PCs
Install Synology Data Replicator 3 software on each Windows PC to manually or automatically backup data to the Synology NAS.

Backing up Mac computers
Use OS X Time Machine application on each Mac to backup data to the Synology NAS.

Backing up Shared Folders on the Synology NAS
Use the NAS internal Backup and Restore application to backup NAS shared folders to (a) another one of the internal NAS drives, (b) an external USB drive plugged into the NAS or (c) an external eSATA drive plugged into the NAS (if the particular NAS model has an eSATA port).  You can also backup the internal NAS configuration and settings.

Steve
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2012, 06:13 am by srb »

lokie

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2012, 03:27 pm »
Not sure I understand the exact question

Well... I guess I don't consider the Synaology NAS as back up but more as a main drive.
The hard drive in my Mini is only 120 gigs SSD. My muisc, pictures, movies, surveillance, will be starting at around 3 TB's and growing from there. So when I mention back up, I mean backing up the Synology NAS.

So... How do I back up the data on the Synology NAS?  I was thinking that I would need to use single chassis external hard Drives for each sub-group of data. For ex.: One single 2 TB for my music, One single TB for picutres... and so forth.

Price breakdown:
Synology DiskStation DS412+........   $650
One 4TB 2.5" drive........................   $235
One 2 TB External HD for Back Up.... $190

Total Costs.................................. .. $ 1,075

I have two other single chassis HD's that I can use to finish out my back up needs (for now).

So, $1000 to get me started and $500 for adding another 4TB (One 3.5" drive for the NAS And one 4TB single external chassis for BU).

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2012, 11:10 pm »
Price breakdown:
Synology DiskStation DS412+........   $650
One 4TB 2.5" drive........................   $235
One 2 TB External HD for Back Up.... $190

Total Costs.................................. .. $ 1,075

Hi, I don't have one but a couple of thoughts here...

I'm not sure why you would buy one of the more expensive models, one of the cheaper ones would be adequate (based on what Steve has said).

I don't think you can get a 4TB 2.5" drive...? If you mean a 3.5" drive to go into the DS412, you're buying a 4-bay RAID and putting in a single drive. For roughly the same price, 3x2TB drives will give you the same storage plus data redundancy.

The Synology backup (not all models, I believe, but most) can be done with an eSATA drive. I'd be inclined to use that option if possible using e.g. the WD dual-drive model (forget the exact name, Studio something).

I'm still a bit undecided about the whole NAS thing. In the end, it seems like it's easier and cheaper to string Firewire drives. Assuming that noise isn't an issue.

:scratch: :)

Crimson

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2012, 12:07 am »
I'm still a bit undecided about the whole NAS thing. In the end, it seems like it's easier and cheaper to string Firewire drives. Assuming that noise isn't an issue.

:scratch: :)

Oui oui!

jrebman

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:31 pm »
John,

Not sure if this will get you any closer to a solution, but you can install DLNA support on the synology NAS -- either via the media center add-on or the logitech media server (no need for a logitech device to be in the system) and then use an audio app called 8player to stream wirelessly to an IOS device.  I think you can then also use airplay from there but not sure.  With LMS and 8player you can also play any format that LMS supports, including flac.

Just starting to play with this myself so I won't be able to answer any more questions about it, but it does look promising.  Also think you can go to 24/96 with this setup, which is what I'm hoping to do -- stream from the NAS to my old iTouch 4g to an Arcam drDock and into a headphone amp on my nightstand.

Sorry if this is obvious to you already, but I'm just figuring all this out.

-- Jim