AR-XA Turntable Vasectomy

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
AR-XA Turntable Vasectomy
« on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm »
Hi,I'm going to get my AR-XA turntable all back to work after a long absense.Every thing used to work good on it but the RCA jacks on the output cord look like Tom Edison used em.I'm going to snip them off instead of trying to install a new out put cable.Having not attended Audio medical school,what might I encounter,and are there any recommendations for new gold jacks from the Shack or Parts Express.I can solder pretty good but might be uncertain of what bare wires I might encounter.I think I might know but want to check with you expert audio docs....thanks....Mark Korda

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: AR-XA Turntable Vasectomy
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:42 am »
This sounds like one for Wayner.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:37 am »
Also Dave at vinylnirvana dot com. Hey, maybe you can convince him to join AC!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:20 pm »
The RCA cords are attached underneath the plinth to a solder lug terminal block. The ground wire is attached to the (I think) left channel audio shield. this will be an easy fix. You will have to turn the table upside down, or at least on it's back side. You might want to bribe a friend to help hold it while you are working on it, or figure out some way to clamp it.

The power cord is going to go up to the slide switch with the hot side. The neutral will go off to another wire that goes to the motor. New cords can be made from a cheap extension cord. Cut off the outlet portion, strip the wires back and solder them to the correct connect points. Note that the new cord will have a polarized plug. The wide on the plug goes to the neutral. Do not mix these up.

The capacitor on the switch is necessary to take out the noise from turning the table on or off. The hot side of the power cord (narrow blade) goes to the switch.

Be careful of the plastic tonearm clip, it can easily break. Maybe tape the tonearm down so it doesn't go flying. Perhaps even take the headshell and counterweight off when performing this surgery.

Wayner

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm »
Hi Wayner,thanks so much for the info on the AR-XA.I saw the one you spiffed up in some of your pictures,beautiful!The turntable in question,mine,was modded in the early 80's by me according to your bosses instruction in Audio Basics,I still have the 2 different lubricants Frank recommended in my pile of stuff.I'm a little afraid of installing a Grado(Longhorn) because it might hit the spindal damaging the stylus.I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that.Thanks again Wayner...Mark

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2012, 12:42 pm »
If you have the original Haydon motor and it's working well (speed, power), it is the perfect companion for a Grado Longhorn cartridge. There will be zero hum issues. The longhorn bar will not hit the spindle 1), it's out farther then the spindle, and 2)  the label and run-out groove will stop it.

Wayner

xmas111

• Johnsweather
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:41 pm »
Mark,

I've rebuilt a few AR XA's and I always get rid of the old RCA cables and install RCA jacks.

Not all that hard to do.  Just takes a little time and patience.

I've put together a web page on my rebuilds.  It shows installing the RCA jacks.

Hopefully it might help you out.

http://johnsweather.com/Turntable.html

John

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:11 am »
Very informative page - thanks, John. Thanks for the needle drop sample(Jeff Beck), too. Sounds very good.

And welcome to AudioCircle  :thumb:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:47 am »
Xmas111,outstanding!....you are beyond informitive...you too Wayner...thanks so much....Mark

xmas111

• Johnsweather
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:08 pm »
Very informative page - thanks, John. Thanks for the needle drop sample(Jeff Beck), too. Sounds very good.

And welcome to AudioCircle  :thumb:

Xmas111,outstanding!....you are beyond informitive...you too Wayner...thanks so much....Mark

Thanks, hope it will help others who want to fix up one of these babies. :)
They're well worth the little work it takes to make them sing again.

John

clydethecat

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2012, 06:11 pm »
I rebuilt several XAs for friends using the method published by Frank Van Alstine back in the 1980s, and always found it to work well.  Disabling the vertical damper on the tonearm made things easier I think.