Soul Sonic mini-Review & Pictures

BruceSB

Soul Sonic mini-Review & Pictures
« on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:47 am »
There is a mini review and some great pictures of the Soul Sonic Impact over at Mono & Stereo.
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2012/11/soulsonic-impact-speaker.html#more

Mono & Stereo are very impressed with the sound.
I think that the look of the speaker is great.

We need more visually appealing/unobstrusive speakers.
One of the draw backs of dipoles/planars has been their high level of intrusion into the room and the resulting low WAF.
My wife, even after some 23+ years with my spectra 22s, still brings up their coffin like appearance, and how if she had really known what they looked like she would have been more negative when I was contemplating them.

While visually unappealing speakers may not be so much of a concern to persons such as myself who have a personal dedicated listening room not everyone is so fortunate.

I am sure that the best of both (the sonic and the eye-pleasing) worlds is the ideal.
Love the look of those speakers.

I wonder is there anyone who has heard them?

Bruce

berni

Re: Soul Sonic mini-Review & Pictures
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2012, 07:48 am »
I live only some 25 miles away from the company :thumb:.
And one friend of mine owns some of the first IMPULSE.
Great sounding and piece of art in the room.

BruceSB

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012, 06:48 pm »
I wonder are you able to make some comparisons?
Say maybe between the Soul Sonic and a maggie and a Soul Sonic and an electrostat (possibly a quad or a martin logan).
Its so easy to make a comparison on the looks - you don't even have to be there!!!
The sound is a little harder .....!
Thanks.
Bruce

berni

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2012, 10:05 am »
Soulsonic has now two models which are different in the principal and looks, but when it comes to sound they are similar if used in rooms they are meant for.
Both models have great transparency capable of high SPLs with no apparent distortions. IMPACT is meant for smaller rooms, where the big brother could be just to big. Also the IMPACT has slightly more midrange presence (more forward sounding) than IMPULSE that can be a really great experience . It can be listened from the nearfied position with great results.
Perhaps my 20.1s are somewhat more precise in the lower midrange area, but also more lean and less dynamic. This lack of dynamics with 20.1 is very audible, and this pulls you away from creating a life like presentation. Here the Soulsonics are at their best.
They beat my 20.1 at low and high listening levels dynamics by far, also the bass slam is more then awesome.
I think that they can bridge the gap between planars and dynamic speakers more than good and show the best from both designs
The Impulse and Impact sound very airy in the natural sense, tonally and harmonically correct, with great bass slam and extension and...better image specificity than my 20.1.
Among other virtues, the piano has more weight in the critical presence areas, without sounding annoying or distorted. Capable of very high sound levels, provided they are sufficiently away from the back wall, sometimes they remind me of horns (dynamically) without horn colorations. They are way more sensitive than my Maggies and are overall just incredibly involving in the musical sense.
These are some things which are obvious on first listen..

BruceSB

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:28 am »
Thanks.
That was a really great comparison to a top maggie.
Although I have never seen in real life (or ever listened to) a SoulSonic I always had a feel that they sounded great as well as looking great.
To see it shape up so well against a real top speaker is very interesting.
It is something important to me that speakers look fantastic as well as sound fantastic and that great looks don't come with sacrifices to sound.
So,
Now that we have a comparison to a maggie,
Is there anyone out there who has compared a SoulSonic to an electrostat?
Full range electrostat that is.
I, and I am sure lots of others,
Would love to hear about a comparison.
What do you say?
Bruce