Young FrankenLowthers

Blackmore

Young FrankenLowthers
« on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:14 am »
Scott and I modded a pair of old Aegis Two boxes to accept the DX55 drivers from my Kitties.  Still crossing them over around 300 Hz and letting the bass cab from the Innersounds do all the bass and low mids.  I'm using the "abby-normal" circuit to tame the highs and I have a "full lobotomy" circuit in the wings if needed.  Actually sound pretty good with the Yamamoto A09 driving the Lowthers and an old Hafler driving the woofs. 

Since we made these around Halloween, Scott thought the name was appropriate.  Running them without the "abby-normal" circuit will wear thin after a while.  Abby-normal is just a cap-resistor in parallel.  The "full lobotomy" is a coil/resistor circuit to tame the beast if needed. 

I know, I know, I know.....it's just as stupid as every other project I've had in the last few years.  Wanna' come over and hear them??????

OzarkTom

Re: Young FrankenLowthers
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:26 am »
Looking good! :thumb:

Bet they sound real nice.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:52 am »
You know they actually do sound pretty good tonight.  Similar in concept to the design of the Rethm Maarga using a powered woofer to flesh out the bottom of a smaller diameter full range driver like the DX55.  The little Lowthers need some serious break in time before they settle down.

MerRev

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:42 am »
Sounds like something I would like to hear.   8) 
Your past experiments have fared pretty well so I am interested.   :thumb:

Now if we could only get Willie's new amp over for a spin.         

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:38 am »
Willie's new amp would be killer.  I'm also on the list to try out the TBI integrated being toured courtesy of OzarkTom.  I'll let you know when I'm the next one on the list and we can give it a whirl on both Lowther setups.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:56 am »
Those Lowther's will work perfectly with the TBI amp. You should hear a huge soundstage with lots of holographic imaging. Your speakers should totally disappear.

But get those babies broke in first.

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:10 am »
Lowthers never stop breaking in  :lol:

But when they do get to that "can listen to place" something magical happens.  :drool:

Have fun for the next 1000 hrs or so.  :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:53 am »
1000? :o

Sounds almost my Dac. It took 900 hours.