I got me a new camera

charmerci

I got me a new camera
« on: 6 Nov 2012, 07:30 pm »
I just bought an Olympus E-LP1.

For the price - my goodness, it's dropped to 265 bucks - it makes for a fantastic deal with a micro 4/3 sensor. Just got it last night so I don't have any deep impression about it except that at first, it doesn't hold in the hands that comfortably.

Russell Dawkins

Re: I got me a new camera
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2012, 07:38 am »
Congratulations - pretty fantastic value at that price!

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2012, 12:07 am »
Congratulations - pretty fantastic value at that price!

:thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:49 am »
Hey!

Congratulation on your new camera. Good price for sure, sound like buying the lens that come with free camera with it.  Keep us posted on how you like it.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:17 pm »
I'm just about to get one too - though was going to get the body only (about $140 new on Amazon), then decide what lens to mount.

Does charmerci have any opinions about the kit lens or he or anyone else about alternative lenses.  You really have so many choices between panasonic + olympus 4/3 lenses, then all the other options w/ lens adaptor.

I'm looking for the highest quality / least expensive / most compact zoom lens w/ an approximate 28 - 110 35mm equivalent range.  I don't care if it's autofocus or not, new or mostly likely used.

Also charmerci - any other general comments about your satisfaction w/ the PL-1?

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2012, 07:06 am »
The camera comes with a 14-42 lens (which is equivalent to a 28-84mm)  I find it to be a fine lens for my purposes. But as with all lenses, the quality of the shot goes down on edges of the wide angles and zooms are less quality than fixed lenses.

Comparing it with my Fuji P&S. It takes much clearer and better quality photos. (I've made some very nice 8x10 blowups from my Fuji too!) The Olympus can be used more or less as an easy P&S. There is a setting knob on top of it that has two auto settings, an aperture priority, shutter priority and manual settings too. You can control everything on it like an DSLR if you want. So much to learn - but only if you want.

Basically, I just wanted something easy to shoot with that was higher quality than my Fuji. With just a quick look at the lenses for the 4/3rds cameras, I didn't see anything better at the price than the 14-42 that comes with it.

I guess my only other suggestions are 1) you're going to have to re-learn how to hold this camera to make it feel comfortable in your hand - it's possible - and 2) do NOT ever touch the view screen on the back. Your skin oils are a pain in the rear to get off of it once it's on there.