advisable to move from active to passive?

this_is_vv

advisable to move from active to passive?
« on: 5 Nov 2012, 09:46 pm »
OK,

So my system is running very smooth enjoying the music , all is well EXCEPT the bundle of wires and 3 amps . Now i know my crossover points can i make a 3 way crossover and put it on my system and get rid of active crossover and 2 extra amps....reasons i want to do this is

• Less wires i live in apt and the back of my TV looks like jungle
  • I recenly listened ncore and my mouth jawdropped if i can swap my current extra amps and active crossover i can think of getting that

Advisable or not????

y xover points are 200Hz,4Khz

V

LynX

Re: advisable to move from active to passive?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:16 pm »
Interesting as those are the exact frequencies I ended up on my system. The way I understand it active crossovers do more than just let you select the crossover frequencies. It lets you have a clean path from amplifier to speaker with the frequencies to do so already decided. As well more amplifiers give you more headroom. If you have a wiring problem you might want to consider wire management.

You will not get the same sound out of passive as you will from active. Passive limits, adds, or degrades the sound one way or the other. That is not to say that there is not well designed passive speakers out there. There are many instances one would need to use passive components in a speaker. Such as Ribbon tweeters must just for protection (from what I understand).

I personally like the active crossover sound and even though I will admit my audio rack looks like a wire jungle in the back as well, it will not make me sway from it. If you like you can move to the passive setup and see if you like it, but remember it's going to be an experiment for you to decide. I hope this helps, you a little bit. There is plenty of information on the internet about active vs passive setups. Take a look around, a lot of helpful information out there.

I am sure someone else can help you out here as well the differences. Best of luck.

this_is_vv

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:19 pm »
Interesting as those are the exact frequencies I ended up on my system. The way I understand it active crossovers do more than just let you select the crossover frequencies. It lets you have a clean path from amplifier to speaker with the frequencies to do so already decided. As well more amplifiers give you more headroom. If you have a wiring problem you might want to consider wire management.

You will not get the same sound out of passive as you will from active. Passive limits, adds, or degrades the sound one way or the other. That is not to say that there is not well designed passive speakers out there. There are many instances one would need to use passive components in a speaker. Such as Ribbon tweeters must just for protection (from what I understand).

I personally like the active crossover sound and even though I will admit my audio rack looks like a wire jungle in the back as well, it will not make me sway from it. If you like you can move to the passive setup and see if you like it, but remember it's going to be an experiment for you to decide. I hope this helps, you a little bit. There is plenty of information on the internet about active vs passive setups. Take a look around, a lot of helpful information out there.

I am sure someone else can help you out here as well the differences. Best of luck.

Actually thats the same worry i have i dont want to loose the sound...but so much stuff and i live in apt and top of it i can use the cash on something else like ncore made me think to do it....

V

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:33 pm »
V,

I would stay active and consider a rack that hides that jungle of wiring behind it. If you could see the rear of my rack it looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory but it's pushed against the wall so you can't see the mess.

Once you get everything positioned in a rack you can make custom cables to exact lengths. I'm not there yet.

zipidachimp

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:46 pm »
as a relative newcomer to speaker building and an apartment tenant with a 13x18 living room, my passive 3-way OB gives me all the sound I can handle without affecting the neighbors.  I'd probably do something different with my own property. "horses for courses" .

LynX

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2012, 07:51 am »
as a relative newcomer to speaker building and an apartment tenant with a 13x18 living room, my passive 3-way OB gives me all the sound I can handle without affecting the neighbors.  I'd probably do something different with my own property. "horses for courses" .

Active crossovers do not make necessarily more SPL (loudness) than a passive counterpart (although it might be plausible to say so; with less resistance). Being limited in space does not mean you should be stuck with the way one crosses over frequencies from one bandwidth to the other. More or less a crossover is there to perform a job. Whether its simply blocking (sloping down) a frequency, lowering tweeter/mid output, notch filtering (perhaps a driver frequency hiccup), cabinet correction, etc (passive setups have many viable uses; from what I understand so do digital crossovers).

Do not be weary of going active if you live in a small apartment or house close to neighbors. As that has absolutely nothing to do with how loud one plays the content and at what level. That is up to you and your modest judgement.
Just be aware that active crossovers aren't the end all to speaker design. Active setups have many advantages with some disadvantages already posted by the op in the thread. For a 3 way setup, a 3 way stereo crossover, 3 amplifiers, six rca/xlr wires (for stereo), 4 ac wires, 6 +/- speaker wires (or speakon), etc. You can see a piece of the wiring mess he is talking about.

To OP, you might be very happy with the Ncore, or you might not with your setup. It's hard to speculate at this time as it would be from a different system than the one you tested it on. I believe it would be far to difficult to state which you should go for as I have nothing to compare your inquiries about (your demo'd vs your current setup/ could be passive setup). I know that doesn't help you much but sometimes it's the choices in life that are by complete chance that turns our opinions and future choices.

zipidachimp

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2012, 09:24 am »
I well understand the technical arguments re: passive vs active. I meant in my situation, the simpler solution is the better choice, given that I enjoy what I have.  I would love to play with a more complicated set-up were the situation to change.  My next projects are a 2-way with sub, followed by a single with sub.  all my baffles are a derivation of a visaton 'no-box' shape, 13" x 37" x 11" deep. :D

silver_strings

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2012, 01:12 pm »
What about getting studio monitors? Youll have active xovers and less wires.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 01:18 pm »
Because this is about open baffles...

:)

this_is_vv

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:11 pm »
@silver_string

I love my speakers and setup but beong on tight budget and kinda to want simplify i want to go passive.

@johnR

you are right ...open baffle it is and so far it will remain that way....

@all

Is it possible to atleast go passive on 2 out of 3 speakers so that atleast i can get rid of one speaker ...just asking...i want to put some crossover between Eminence alpha and beta this way i can run both of them from one amp...doable?

V

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:16 pm »
Is it possible to atleast go passive on 2 out of 3 speakers so that atleast i can get rid of one speaker ...just asking...i want to put some crossover between Eminence alpha and beta this way i can run both of them from one amp...doable?

Yes of course you can do that, but it might be better to do that between the mid and tweeter, component values will be smaller and things are a bit more predictable.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2012, 04:03 pm »
  If you really are enjoying your sound stay put. Do not let the nervosa get ya. Tidy up the wires. Actually may improve your sound further. Wire management can be advantageous.
   Keep it simple but not simpler. If all fails and you really want to make a change then by all means try it out. It will be different.

charles