Pure Music users AudioCircle

low.pfile

Pure Music users AudioCircle
« on: 5 Nov 2012, 04:54 am »

I finally bit the bullet and bought Pure Music (PM) for my personal listening use. During my second trial I found the sound pleasing. I didn't change any default settings–just used per the instructions.

This thread may be a good venue for ACers to share their experiences using PM. this is quite the software program it goes very deep–deeper than I currently understand. I have seen many refernces to PM but current dedicated thread. Given everyone's very different setups, settings and preferences will vary, but maybe a good opportunity to share/ask questions and share preferences for others to explore?

As I write this I am on sitting in my home office on my iMac 27 (2010) blue  sky audio 2.1 speakers, via a Monarchy 24 DAC, listening to Adele's 19. Using Pure Music 1.86, iTunes 10.6.3

You can see my office (70%) and main system (30%) setup in my profile. I listen to lots of music and  always have my ear to the ground for new music. so I am music biased not gear oriented, but it helps to have the context.

http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

Cheers,
ed

JohnR

Re: Pure Music users AudioCircle
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2012, 09:03 am »
I use the Pure Music active crossover in my main system. Don't know what I'd do without it any more.

:)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:21 pm »
Long time PM user here too.  I haven't opened Amarra in years.  I do think it's time to try Audirvana again though with his updates...

AllynW

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:44 am »
I have pure music on my Mac Mini server.  I have found I prefer the Eq in iTunes. 

borism

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:41 am »
Also using PM on mac mini server. Today I downloaded Handel's Messiah to Itunes and started playing it immediately afterwards. Something about the sound was not right, harsher. Then, I noticed that I was playing the file through Itunes without PM. Everything changed and improved once I opened PM. And all this with a CD file I hadn't heard before. PM must be doing something right.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2012, 05:51 am »
I'm still demoing it vs Audiovarna + , but think I'll pull the trigger soon.  Imac + mac mini. "Memory play" is what I've found makes THE most difference. Without that + Itunes integration I would not be considering it. Otherwise no-upsampling (my DACs already do that, so I figure why bother), and DSP options disabled. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:04 am »
I use Pure Music 1.87 (Pure Vinyl) on my PowerMac G5. The version number itself tells a story. I found an obscure bug related to my specific DAC, and talking to Rob on the phone, and having him come into the music server remotely, he diagnosed the problem and patched a version of the software for me to use.

dave

dlbeck

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:25 pm »
Hey PM users.  I just started using Pure Music 1.86 on a Mac Mini with a Fusion drive.  So far I really like it but after I hit play and want to play music for a couple hours eventually after 4-5 songs, the music just quits.  If I quite PM and play in iTunes it will play forever.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

David
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 11:46 pm by dlbeck »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:43 pm »
Hey PM users.  I just started using Pure Music 1.86 on a Mac Mini with a Fusion drive.  So far I really like it but after if I just hit play and want to play music for a couple hours eventually after 4-5 songs, the music just quits.  If I quite PM and play in iTunes it will play forever.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

Make sure you have got all your updates downloaded for your Mac OS. Restart and try again. The only time PM unexpectedly quits for me is if I've been playing music continuously for 24 hrs or more.

Best,
Anand.

dlbeck

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2012, 01:31 am »
Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately I did all that and it still stops playing after 4-5 songs.  And it won't even start back up without restarting PM. 

Any other ideas?  Thanks.

David

low.pfile

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:13 am »
So, I've bought into Spotify (paid subscriber) and am TRYING to figure out how to bring PureMusic into the path for Spotify stream. Any tips?

PhilipAC

DSF file problem with PM1.88
« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2012, 09:37 pm »
Hi Guys

I am pasting below 2 messages I posted on another forum, and Ted_b advised me to post them here.

"Hi Everyone

Below is a copy of a PM i sent to Ted_b. He suggested I post it generally. Any help from anyone who has had a similar problem
would be much appreciated!

Hi Ted

We chatted earlier about this issue (static near the beginning of large DSF file). You thought it was the DAC not recognising the signal straight away.

It can't be that because the music plays fine for quite a few seconds before the static starts. For tracks shorter
than about 10 minutes, there is no problem. After that, the longer the track, the longer the static before it stops- not
so good for Mahler!! The static always stops once PM has finished loading the file.

I am using Pure Music 1.88, and my DAC is a Vertex Aletheia- a NOS DAC, so PM converts the DSF file to 88.2

I think it must be a capacity issue, because the PM is clearly converting to PSM88.2 OK, the DAC recognises the PCM88.2,
and for a while the PM/DAC is clearly happy to play music whilst the PM is still loading the file. The static is occurring when the end of a
big file is still loading, and stops when uploading has stopped.

My MBP has 8GB of RAM, so I wouldn't have thought that is where the blockage is. You suggested that PM might be running
out of caching space- but I don't get the problem with equally large 192/24 files! So it is clearly something to do with the fact
that the files are large DSF ones.

I have now also noticed that PM uploads into memory my 192/24 files and DFF files from Channel Classics so fast that I
get no problems, and also that when I play a problem movement again (after switching to something else briefly, then there is
no problem!! Could it be that PM has an issue with large DSF files produced by ripping, but somehow resolves this issue for
subsequent replays? How weird would that be?!

Finally, perhaps PM1.9 will solve my problem!

If you really don't have time to think about this, I will understand, but I thought it might pique your curiosity.

Should I post this generally, to see if anyone else has found the same thing?

Thanks for your help

Philip

Philip,
I recommend(ed) you put this request in the Apple Circle.  It is likely not a ripping or even DSD issue, as much as its either a PM transcoding issue or a buffer/hardware one.

I have no issue with it also staying here, but the Apple Circle will give more player and hardware-experienced AC members a chance to look at the issue.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:50 pm by ted_b »
PhilipAC

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #81 on: Today at 09:24 pm »
QuoteModify

OK Ted- but I can't put it in CA because I'm not a subscriber.

One further point though. I have just converted my Mahler 2 ISO to a DFF file (rather than DSF). The DSF file continues to give static (even on repeat playing), whereas the DFF file played perfectly! So presumably it is a DSF-specific issue for me."

I hope the above is a clear explanation of my problem. This "static" only occurs on large ripped DSF files during the last bit of uploading to memory,
not on equally large 192/24 or DFF files.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. It might of course be fixed in PM1.9.

Philip

lextek

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2012, 09:14 pm »
Just downloaded the demo.  Using it Lion and iTunes 11.  I have been using Bitperfect and just iTunes.  Suggetions for settings?

kenreau

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:33 pm »
I reluctantly made the iTunes 11 upgrade last week.  Meh, I prefer the previous version so far.

My problem revolves around using it with Pure Music.  When I start up PM and select an album to play, it appears to be attempting to load the entire album of songs into memory before starting.  It freezes with the display "Loading Into Memory" and can take 10 seconds up to ???  After a while, I just close PM and go back to iTunes.

I made the PM 1.89d4 update over the weekend, but it didn't really make a noticeable difference.   I have a Mac2Music mac mini with scripts that also manipulate PM (not sure what they do though).

Anyone else experiencing this memory loading issue lag?  Any proposed solutions?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Kenreau

kenreau

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2012, 06:41 pm »
My problem revolves around using it with Pure Music.  When I start up PM and select an album to play, it appears to be attempting to load the entire album of songs into memory before starting.  It freezes with the display "Loading Into Memory" and can take 10 seconds up to ???  After a while, I just close PM and go back to iTunes.

I made the PM 1.89d4 update over the weekend, but it didn't really make a noticeable difference.   I have a Mac2Music mac mini with scripts that also manipulate PM (not sure what they do though).

Anyone else experiencing this memory loading issue lag?  Any proposed solutions?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Kenreau

Problem solved - I just noticed this posted over at Channel D;

"there is a partial work-around. Due to the manner in which iTunes handles Gapless tracks (essentially, all of the tracks in an album are automatically marked Gapless), Gapless Playback should be disabled in Pure Music, for Pure Music to function properly (Preferences, Music Server Settings -> Basic). "

Kenreau