Beyer T-1 with Torpedo Haeadphone Amp

Freo-1

Beyer T-1 with Torpedo Haeadphone Amp
« on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:38 pm »
I decided to try to give headphones another go after becoming disillusioned with my last combo.  I picked up a set of Beyerdynamic T-1 cans, and obtained a Torpedo Headphone preamp to go with them. 

So far, I'm very impressed with them.  The T-1's are outstanding headphones, easily the best I have heard to date.  I think one either goes into the Sennheiser camp, or the Beyer camp.  To me, I prefer the Beyer sound.  It really is a matter of personal taste.
The Torpedo Headphone amp comes as a DIY kit, or you can find folks that will build them for you if you are DIY challenged.  I'm sure there are better headphone amps out there, but this one is really nice.  It is a true tube headphone amp, with a wonderful soundstage, dynamics, and very quiet. It sports a pair of 6J6 tubes, which are cheap and plentiful.  There a number of suitable subs for tube rolling, and they are all cheap and easily obtainable.  Right now, I'm trying out the 5844, and it sounds very clear and open with classical music.

All in all, headphone listening has become enjoyable again with this combo.

http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo/TORPEDOoverview.php

dB Cooper

Re: Beyer T-1 with Torpedo Haeadphone Amp
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2012, 12:05 am »
I have owned (and liked) many Sennheisers over the years. I have heard only one set of Beyers, the low impedance version of the DT770. Thinking about my first set of Beyers: The Custom One Pro, which seem to "punch above their weight" in terms of performance and are a modest $149 at B&H. Never been a big fan of closed cans but the 770's were pretty comfy. I own Senn 555's now and am seeking another option (something with a little "warmer" signature than the somewhat "analytical" 555's) to suit my mood, different recordings etc.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2012, 09:55 am »
The custom ones have me thinking it could be a "lets try these" buy for me-never heard a Beyer can yet.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm »
I hadn't either; borrowed those DT770s out of curiosity. Looking for something a bit "darker" than the somewhat bright Senn 555's but the 770s went a little too far the other direction, but were the first closed cans I could tolerate for an extended period. Just looking for a different "flavor". And if they sound as good as they measure, they could be a real sleeper. The customizability doesn't interest me that much- mostly consist of a bunch of ugly cover plates at this point- but the Beyers are also modular (user replaceable parts), something Sennheiser seems to be moving away from, which makes them easy to maintain or mod. Plast-i-clay, here I come...  :icon_twisted:

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:56 pm »
So far, I have tried 6101 and 5844 tubes in the Torpedo with the T-1's.  The 5844 tubes seems to be a slightly better match with the T-1's, as the presentation is a bit more lively.  The difference is slight, but noticeable.

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:21 pm »
Hi Freo-1  - thanks for your recommendation of the Torpedo. I recently bought a pair of T1s, and as good as  they sound through my Amarro A205A amp, I know that the T1s aren't hitting their potential, so I'm looking for an amp that can bring out the quality of sound that I know the T1's are capable of producing. I've been doing a little research:

Beyerdynamic makes their own amp  for the T1, which has received excellent feedback, but no tubes.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-A1-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0024NK32Q/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1352747210&sr=8-63&keywords=beyerdynamic

I've also heard that the Woo Audio amps mate really well with the T1, maybe also the Bryston BHA-1.

Have you by chance tried other amps with the T1s that you can compare to the Torpedo? Thanks other any info you can share

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:53 pm »
Sorry to report that I have only tried the T-1's with the Torpedo Headphone amp.  Due to the nature of tubes, the T-1's sound slightly different depending on which tubes used.  The torpedo sounds good for the coin, but I'm sure there is better ones out there. 

The Beyer headphone amp looks promising.  My one rule for headphone amps  is as follows: Thou shall NOT employ Op Amps!   :lol:

I had a PS Audio Headphone amp, and that was underwhelming. 

Let us know which way you go on this.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2012, 08:00 pm »
Woo amps are, indeed, a good match with the T1's.

MttBsh

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:23 pm »
Sorry to report that I have only tried the T-1's with the Torpedo Headphone amp.  Due to the nature of tubes, the T-1's sound slightly different depending on which tubes used.  The torpedo sounds good for the coin, but I'm sure there is better ones out there. 

The Beyer headphone amp looks promising.  My one rule for headphone amps  is as follows: Thou shall NOT employ Op Amps!   :lol:

I had a PS Audio Headphone amp, and that was underwhelming. 

Let us know which way you go on this.

Hey - thanks and you bet - will report back which way I go.