Vr 77

Johnbr

Vr 77
« on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:21 am »
Do's any one here think we will ever see a replasment for the Vr-7 and 10.What did the Vr-77 look like.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Vr 77
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2012, 04:01 pm »
No VR77 but a VR100 is in the works..

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm »
You are well informed Gavin, any plans?

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2012, 12:05 am »
I almost jumped at it but decided to set sights on the 11 Mk2s. After careful, very careful, evaluation, my room can take them. Now all I need is the money.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2012, 01:21 am »
You are well informed Gavin, any plans?

None whatsoever Cor.  My VR5 Annies with dual subs get me very close to just about all the big boy systems out there..  :thumb: ....and I'm talking very close

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2012, 01:33 am »
Dear Audiophiles,

The VR-100XS is now a reality; prototypes have been optimized and the final system is being built as I type this. Development has taken two years and is quite a different approach for us.  This is a four piece system with separate subwoofers and is slightly taller than the VR-9 yet much shorter and sleeker than the VR-11's.  In fact, it is a "tweener" in between VR-9 and VR-11 series, but with some very different design approaches:

a. All drivers are custom built and are all made from magnesium/aluminum/Mylar/ceramic sandwiches; even the new ribbon tweeters are sandwich designs using magnesium/aluminum strips with a Mylar backing to eliminate metallic ringing.  Since all drivers are made from exactly the same materials, there is a "single voice" to the entire system.  The transient response of the custom drive units have been matched by our fabricator, ensuring a "single driver" response in both measurement and listening tests.  In fact, there isn't any particular "sound" in this system, it is extremely neutral but spookily realistic and holographic.  One local audiophile who helps me criticize all new models told me that these are "holographic generators, not speakers."  I think you will understand his statement when you hear this system for yourself!

b. The new sandwich drive units have a transient response that is superior to any other driver we have tested.  We are using Alnico and Neodymium super high output magnets with a linear magnetic field with shorted-turn voice coils for a 10x reduction in motor distortion.  This results in clarity, voice, and speed that is similar to a large ribbon panel speaker, but can easily crush any planar in existence due to an incredibly high dynamic range - this system has a 96dB sensitivity rating!

c. We are patenting the Low Frequency Alignment that features flat bass response in the room, down to a 1.5dB tolerance no matter where you sit or stand.  This requires DSP correction in the subwoofer amplifiers and the utilization of 4 woofers with adjustable phase rotation and time delay.  The VR-100 main towers have response down to 22Hz while the twin outboard ShockWave V-15 subwoofers have a response down to 8 Hz.  Using two of our ShockWave V-15 subwoofers in the listening position, aimed at the front towers, enables us to control the bass response throughout the room without having to subject the signal to AD/DA conversion, which is required by all other competing bass correction schemes. We all know that converting the signal prior to the main amplifier/speaker system is a big boo-boo, kills transparency.   Our new design works in the analog domain and does not affect the music signal being fed to the main towers!!!  The DSP phase correction and time delay inside the subwoofer amplifiers cannot corrupt the music signal above 40Hz, enabling a purist vinyl or tape system to be used.  Transparency rules!  I am not against DSP correction, digital players, music servers, and so forth, but I am against too much circuitry and don't like making compromises when it isn't necessary!

d. The VR-100 main towers are dipoles, but offer adjustable level controls for the rear signal above 1kHz.  There are two rear drivers: a 1.5" dome midrange and a 3" ribbon tweeter, both adjustable with a level control for Ambience Retrieval.
The main ribbon tweeter on the front array can be adjusted with a transformer in a wide range with 0.1dB gradations, enabling an extremely fine adjustment of the treble to match any amplifier, room, or listening taste.  These transformers have "zero" insertion loss or coloration; the typical distortion found in "potentiomenters" is unmeasurable due to the design of the transformer, which is hand made in Japan and cannot be heard in a straight wire bypass test.

e. The VR-100XS may be the world's most transparent speaker system available at any price.  The cabinets, designed by Damon Von Schweikert, are very sleek and beautiful, with an elegant yet original design aesthetic.  The system is Time Aligned and Phase Coherent and features crossover parts by Deulund, Jensen, Mundorf, and Delphi Aerospace.  Photos will be available in about two weeks.  The U.S. price of the four piece system is $145,000.

Please email me for further information at albert@vonschweikert.com

As always, Happy Listening!