Maggie's and Von Schweikert

bogiedr

Maggie's and Von Schweikert
« on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:29 pm »
Hi all, I have been living with the Schweikert VR 2's for over 8 years. I am thinking it s time to release them and go with a pair of 1.5QR's refuebished by Magnepan, new ribbons and full tune up. A local dealer, who is a friend is selling them for under $900. I will be driving them with an NAD C375BEE. Do you think this is a good match between power and speakers? Am I crazy releasing the VS'? I am curious to see how the forum feels.
Thanks.  8)

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: Maggie's and Von Schweikert
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:16 am »
There are only three things I can say with any certainty. The 1.5QRs don't have ribbon tweeters - the QR means quasi-ribbon (foil on Mylar). Your integrated should be up to the challenge (in terms of power). The Magnepans will present a sonic picture that is quite different from that to which you are accustomed (and will require more space around them to work their magic).

I assume you've had a good demo of the Maggies, but since the dealer is a friend, why not ask for an in-home demo? That's really the only way to know for sure.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:45 am »

I assume you've had a good demo of the Maggies, but since the dealer is a friend, why not ask for an in-home demo? That's really the only way to know for sure.

My thought exactly. They are local, dealer is a friend. Try to audition them in your system, with music you know well.

Very different presentations. And both sound excellent. Really a matter of personal taste here IMO. And how well each intergrates into your space, as kevin360 suggested.

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2012, 01:35 am »
As Kevin and Roscoe have already noted, Magnepan's are unlike any other in many ways.  Their like Fiona Apple in that you either love or hate her.  Maybe hate is a bit strong, nevertheless, if you like party speakers Magnepan's will not be a good fit no matter how coherent, revealing or that they have an as large as life soundstage.

If you like strong bass, you will need to get a decent quality sub, better is a pair of subs...instead of one 12" get a pair of 10" subs...there are a lot of very musical subs that can be had for under $500.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2012, 01:40 am »
I agree with everything Jim just said, but I think that with the addition of subs, you sure do have a party. In fact, I'll be running my system at a wedding reception in a large hall (the Magnestands will help dress up the place for sure). I'm quite certain it will work, and in fact, as I should have the Dual Core well before that time, I should be able to dial in some pretty nice sound there.

jsm71

Maggies at a large Wedding hall?
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2012, 07:13 pm »
I'm thinking this may not be such a good idea.  Kind of like wearing a tuxedo to a monster truck rally.  Rent some PA speakers.  People at a wedding want to boggie down and have a few drinks, not sit and meditate on soundstage depth.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2012, 08:49 pm »
Be sure to stand guard at the wedding - booze and stereo equipment don't mix very well.
For bogiedr,
By all means try to bum a set for a few days and see what you think. 

Rclark

Re: Maggies at a large Wedding hall?
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2012, 09:07 pm »
I'm thinking this may not be such a good idea.  Kind of like wearing a tuxedo to a monster truck rally.  Rent some PA speakers.  People at a wedding want to boggie down and have a few drinks, not sit and meditate on soundstage depth.

Magnestands aren't super beamy, and they boogie hard on Ncores, especially backed up with subs. It will be awesome and look really nice.

bogiedr

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm »
Thank you all! I listen to some classic rock, but mostly tons of classic jazz, (be bop and such), progressive rock, (King Crimson, Renaissance, Gentle Giant), so the Maggies should do well. I am sure I can get a week at home trial and see what they do. Thanks for the input, I will report back if I do get the in home audition.

bogiedr

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:30 am »
Well my good folks ... I chickened out at the last minute!!  :o I did not have the right vehicle to transport them home  :duh: My wife was out of town and the first question she asked when she got home was, "where are the Maggie's? I was really looking forward to the audition!!"  :( Owner has a receipt showing Maggie Minnesota charged 700 for a full refurbish, he is asking 895 ... no brainer??  :? If you experienced owners tell me this is a good deal I will buy them ... yes the shop has the original boxes to pack them properly!! cast your vote on this Election Tuesday so BogieDr may make an executive decision and buy!! Worse case there is always CL's??

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm »
You should be able to pick up some 1.6s for around $800 - $1000 and those are really nice speakers.
It all depends upon the size of your listening room - a big room will need the 3.x series to fill it up with a realistic soundstage.