Finally, Noel Keywood has lost it

tnargs

Finally, Noel Keywood has lost it
« on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:12 am »
Noel Keywood has always been a bit inclined to favour valve amps and panel speakers as a reviewer. That's fine. But as editor of a general hifi magazine, I thought he would keep a level head, or at least be careful to avoid generalizations and admit his biases are just that.

But no.  In his latest editorial as editor of Hifi World, available online, he says:

"Don't be influenced by all those who say that valve amplifiers sound ‘warm'. That was long ago. Modern valve amplifiers deliver a sound with astonishing dynamic impact, avoiding the bleached, sterile quality of transistor amplifiers. "

What: all transistor amps sound bleached and sterile? And all modern valve amps have astonishing dynamic impact?

If Noel wants to consign the characteristic valve amp sound to 'long ago', he should think a bit about how good transistor amps often are, and how the stereotype he assigns to them might also be more about the past or a few bad apples.

Ericus Rex

Re: Finally, Noel Keywood has lost it
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2012, 12:06 pm »
I agree with his comment.  I've heard a lot of great tube and SS amps and the greatest SS amps don't even approach the greatest tube amps in terms of musicality, air, soundstage and dynamics.  Just my opinion.

tnargs

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:00 am »
Well, we are in the SS forum and I'm comfortable to declare that NK has lost it.

If the system sounds not good enough with a top SS amp, then changing the amps is a patch-up, because something else is causing the sonic problem.

But it is a perfectly valid approach to change amps. A band-aid is quicker and less painful than an operation.   :wink:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2012, 05:22 am »

But no.  In his latest editorial as editor of Hifi World, available online, he says:

"Don't be influenced by all those who say that valve amplifiers sound ‘warm'. That was long ago. Modern valve amplifiers deliver a sound with astonishing dynamic impact, avoiding the bleached, sterile quality of transistor amplifiers. "

funny,are there bleached, sterile, voltages and currents?...
just because tubes amplifiers are more expensive,I think
it does not justify the comments he made about ss...

:)

Wallacefl

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm »
I agree with his comment.  I've heard a lot of great tube and SS amps and the greatest SS amps don't even approach the greatest tube amps in terms of musicality, air, soundstage and dynamics.  Just my opinion.
..just my opinion..I have done the same and no tube amp I have heard can match the resolving power of the best SS...tubes are musical and fun ..yes...but accurate??

Lord Soth

• I'm an American BadAss!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:23 am »
My SS phono preamp sounds warm like a tubed SET.

My SE tube speaker amp sounds linear with great bass and clarity like a SS amp.

Go figure...... ;)