F1 championship is going down to the wire.

ltr317

F1 championship is going down to the wire.
« on: 29 Oct 2012, 06:28 pm »
With only 3 more races remaining, it's been a tremendous F1 season.  Vettel/Red Bull has taken a hold on the championship in the last 4 races.  If Alonso/Ferrari doesn't win the next race or keep Vettel/Red Bull finishing at least one position behind, I don't think Alonso can catch up unless Vettel doesn't finish the last 2 races. 

I'm not a Ferrari fan, but Alonso has been driving out of his mind this year with a third or fourth place car at best.  It's also good to see Massa regain his pre-injury form the past five or so races. 

What has made this season so enjoyable is the fact more teams are competitive to the top three teams.  I've never seen so many drivers earning so many points since the current points system was installed.  Even the thirteenth (DeResta) and fourteenth (Schumi) positions have 44 and 43 points respectively already.  On the manufacturers championship battle, sixth place Sauber has 116 points and seventh place Force India has 93 points already.  All in all, an amazing season!

richidoo

Re: F1 championship is going down to the wire.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2012, 07:49 pm »
That's interesting Paul... so the TV money will be spread out more evenly this year. Hard to believe Caterham still has not scored a single point considering the amount of development and former race winning driver.

I am an Alonso fan, so I was pretty dejected to see him spin off track on first corner in Japan, and Red Bull to "find themselves" at the same time. Seb will need to find some bad luck for Alonso to regain and that is not likely.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:08 pm »
I've enjoyed this season tremendously and would love to see Alonso do well but I too think he needs RBR to have some bad luck.

On another note for those in the US. Any thoughts on NBC winning the TV rights? It's been on Speed for so long I have this fear that NBC will be the Marussia-Cosworth of coverage. :(

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2012, 09:17 pm »
That's interesting Paul... so the TV money will be spread out more evenly this year. Hard to believe Caterham still has not scored a single point considering the amount of development and former race winning driver.

I am an Alonso fan, so I was pretty dejected to see him spin off track on first corner in Japan, and Red Bull to "find themselves" at the same time. Seb will need to find some bad luck for Alonso to regain and that is not likely.

Yes more money for the mid field teams which will help development next year, so maybe even more surprises in store?  Caterham is getting closer to the mid field teams, at least in practice and qualifying.  I think if they get a few more minor sponsors they have a good chance of scoring their first point next year, though they will need a little luck also.     

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2012, 09:20 pm »
I've enjoyed this season tremendously and would love to see Alonso do well but I too think he needs RBR to have some bad luck.

On another note for those in the US. Any thoughts on NBC winning the TV rights? It's been on Speed for so long I have this fear that NBC will be the Marussia-Cosworth of coverage. :(

Good question Mike.  For the races, I think it really depends on the announcement team NBC will assemble.  However, I doubt if NBC will have pre-race coverage since it's not a race channel.  Do you know if Speed will cover that and post race interviews again? 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm »
Did you ever notice that Vettel never seems to win unless he has the obviously superior car?

Regarding future NBC race coverage, I read somewhere that they would do the practice and qualifying too, but I won't believe that until I see it happen.  Hopefully they won't throw in a couple more retired Nascar guys as race announcers.

Frank Van Alstine

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm »
Did you ever notice that Vettel never seems to win unless he has the obviously superior car?

Regarding future NBC race coverage, I read somewhere that they would do the practice and qualifying too, but I won't believe that until I see it happen.  Hopefully they won't throw in a couple more retired Nascar guys as race announcers.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank - The worst thing for NBC would be to have retired Nascar guys as announcers.  Even current Nascar drivers like Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon who have driven F1 cars in recent years can't believe the amount of technology used in the cars.  It would be bad enough for retired road racers like Derek Daly as announcers.  At least one announcer should be a competent former mechanic or technical expert like Steve Matchett. 

And the reason why Vettel usually gets a superior car is because of Adrian Newey.   He is a head above everyone else when it comes to aero design.