Amp for my Acoustats

Derockster

Amp for my Acoustats
« on: 28 Oct 2012, 08:46 pm »
http://d1xw7fnq30zy05.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/image/765835/scaled_Van_Alstine_Amp_007.JPG

Hi all looking at buying this amp for my Acoustat model 3s any thoughts yes or no.

Regards

Cleaton

avahifi

Re: Amp for my Acoustats
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2012, 11:35 pm »
Well, from the AVA logo on the front, I can assume this is an Audio by Van Alstine amplifier built into a Dyna St-150 chassis.

Since we have been building our circuits into these for the past 25 years or so, you have not supplied nearly enough information about the amp to allow me to give you any definitive advice.  Depending upon the vintage, it could be either 75W/Ch to as much as 120W/Ch with substantially different AVA circuit designs and overall compatibility to your speakers.

If you can supply me with more details (serial number, AVA model name, age, etc.) I can be of much more help for you.  I also would like the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers.

Depending upon the AVA model, age, and asking price, this could be a great deal for you, or perhaps not a good match at all.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Derockster

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2012, 11:43 pm »
Will do.

Derockster

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:00 am »
The amp was upgraded to the to the Insight plus specs in November 2011. It also has the Double Die Option.
serial number is  111511. My speakers are 4ohms and falls to around 3.5 ohms.

Cleaton

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2012, 02:08 pm »
This little 120W/Ch Insight+ 240 amp in the Dyna ST-150 chassis will be a very nice match for your Acoustats.  AVA amps have always been great driving electrostatic speakers.

For $600 the amp can be upgraded to a Synergy 240 amp with a brand new multiple channel regulated power supply module providing separate active regulated power supplies for each channel's plus and minus power supplies.  The result is the most natural and dynamic solid state amp you likely have ever heard.  The reviewer for Enjoy the Music simply said, "buy it."

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine