Any inexpensive, minimalist DLNA DACs on the market?

claytontstanley

I've started reading up on DLNA. I'm looking to purchase a DAC that allows me to send flac files from my computer server to the DAC over ethernet. DLNA seems like the right technology.

Note that I also did read up on Apple's AirPlay protocol. So as to avoid redirecting this post to a flame war on DLNA vs. AirPlay, let's just say that I'm firm on using DLNA as the transfer protocol.

The DAC doesn't have to have wireless capabilities. In fact, I'd prefer just having a physical ethernet jack.

The DAC only needs analog preamp outputs. No optical/coax spdif, etc.

The DAC needs no other inputs besides ethernet. No optical/coax spdif, etc.

The DAC certainly should not have any physical controls on it; no remote; all of that is controlled from the PC, iPad, etc.

I'm basically looking for a DLNA certified DAC made from a company that knows how to squeeze a decent-sounding DAC out of relatively inexpensive parts.

Any suggestions?

srb

Re: Any inexpensive, minimalist DLNA DACs on the market?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2012, 09:03 pm »
Some thoughts on "Networked DACs"
http://www.audiostream.com/content/unicorns-networked-dacs

Who knows what the near future will bring, but for right now it looks like the only available solutions are combo streamer/DACs or "network players".  One whose DAC is a bit more than an afterthought might be the Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6, a $1000 network player that essentially contains a $600 DacMagic Plus DAC.  http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=952

Steve

mr_slim

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2012, 09:06 pm »
Strictly speaking your "DLNA DAC"  should be called a "Network Music Player" , of which there are many, but after a quick look at Uncle Google, the Pioneer N30 at $499(not quite Cheap and Cheerful)  is about the lowest cost device that I could see.  Most have remote controls, etc  or IOS or Android apps for control, but they all have some kind of a computer brain that handles the communications with the network and then feeds  the digital audio to an internal (or external) dac.  About the only way to do it for less that that would be DIY with some sort of low powered PC board (ala ALIX) running a flavor of Linux (for example voyage-MPD) and then feed a nice USB dac via a USB port.. There are Lots of MPD clients for IOS  and Android..  You would need the MPD server software running on your network storage system as well.. (it ends up not being DLNA at all)..   

claytontstanley

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2012, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

That was about the price range I found too, and those are filled with unnecessary features for someone that needs a minimalist setup; pity.

DIY sounds interesting, but the only way DIY seems worth it is if there's a way to sort of mod a current market DAC with an ethernet bridge. That is, a DIY version should have a real simple signal path: ethernet, buffer, i2s, reclock, DAC. Throwing USB and/or spdif into that path seems like a step backwards (IMO).