JRiver for Mac

neekomax

Re: JRiver for Mac
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm »
So, I'm in the process of demo'ing Jriver for Mac. I just got through demo'ing Audirvana +, and I like Jriver a lot better (even in alpha version) because it seems to have a lot more features (DSP Studio, etc.). It is, however, kinda buggy, and it also doesn't really seem like a Mac OS X application, but more of a Windows application ported over to Mac, which I suppose it is. But the result is a bit clunkier, less slick, than a full on OS X application would be.

All in all, though, I think the feature set might make it a winner.  I've been underwhelmed with Pure Music and Audirvana, especially since they seem to offer zip in the way of DSP and plug-in expandability. What's the point of a high(er) end player if you don't get that stuff? Even iTunes at least has a passable graphic EQ...

Also, it's cool that it can share my library with iTunes, which I also use, and has a reasonable organizational aspect unlike the others I mentioned.

Coupla questions... what exactly IS convolution?

And, am I correct that I can use VST plug-ins, for example?

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:32 am »
I've been underwhelmed with Pure Music and Audirvana, especially since they seem to offer zip in the way of DSP and plug-in expandability.

For the sake of accuracy...

Pure Music has an active crossover built-in and supports plugins with flexible assignment to output channels.

A+ will support plugins in the next version.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:38 am »

neekomax

« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:31 am »
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78556.0

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68828.0

I hope this helps....

Best,
John

Thanks. That seems really complicated and I'm completely lost. Could I get an 'explain like I'm five' on this?

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:53 am »
Convolution is (in this context) FIR filtering or a type of "EQ". It's a more powerful technique than the typical parametric or graphic EQ. The filter response is controlled by a long list of complex numbers that needs to be computed by some other program - Acourate, rephase, PORC, AudioLense - often but not always by processing a measured acoustic response.

neekomax

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm »
Convolution is (in this context) FIR filtering or a type of "EQ". It's a more powerful technique than the typical parametric or graphic EQ. The filter response is controlled by a long list of complex numbers that needs to be computed by some other program - Acourate, rephase, PORC, AudioLense - often but not always by processing a measured acoustic response.

Aha, thanks!

Thunder240

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2013, 03:54 am »
According to JRiver's website, it supports DNLA. I know my PS3 also supports DNLA. Does anyone know if I'd be able to stream hi-res music to my PS3 using JRiver?

czapp

• http://carlzapp.com
« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2013, 07:41 pm »
Hi
Can anyone direct me to some screen shots to help with set up?
I am switching from Pure Music and encountering some problems.
What I have heard so far, does sound fantastic.
Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2013, 07:47 pm »