Today was a really good day!

medium jim

Today was a really good day!
« on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:34 am »
I switched back today to my Marantz 9's and McIntosh MX-110 today.  It finally is cool enough in the San Fernando Valley to go tubes for the rest of fall thru spring. I actually turned them on yesterday and let them burn in overnight to reform the caps.

I also rebiased the output tubes and to my delight, only minute adjustments were needed.  I then put on Donald Fagen's latest outing, Sunken Condo's (which I highly recommend if you like Steely Dan), and then went through his other releases.  What a fun afternoon, while my summer system is more than adequate, a BGW 500D amp that has had its caps upgraded as well as its power supply over the years & a Bottlehead Foreplay II preamp that also has many upgrades under the hood.

The lushness and almost too large soundstage is back. More importantly is the intimacy and detail that is lacking with the SS amp.

That said, how many of you guys/gals have a summer system because of the heat factor? 

Jim

JakeJ

Re: Today was a really good day!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2012, 03:48 am »
Well, I listen to my all-tube system year round.  During summer I just peel off clothing until I'm naked and sweating like a Roman wrestler :o before shutting down until the next day.  :lol:

Enjoy the weather, jim.

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:19 am »
Well, I listen to my all-tube system year round.  During summer I just peel off clothing until I'm naked and sweating like a Roman wrestler :o before shutting down until the next day.  :lol:

Enjoy the weather, jim.

JakeJ:

I don't do nude very well these days or I would!

Jim

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:07 am »
It's been mostly MMG w/ solid state this past Summer due to the heat.
That is the one good thing about the cooler weather, tubes are back in use.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:43 pm »
I admit I do listen less in the summer but that is because like most people I am outdoors more...in shorts & a T-shirt.   8)

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:36 pm »
Hey!

Well, it is cooler here in NYC too. We had a few heat waves here in NYC this past summer but I'm sure it is nothing like San Fernando Valley. But like many New Yorkers, I live a building and that can feel like an oven during a very hot day.  :?

Anyway, I do have a small second/TV system of with SS integ-amp. But I don't use it much even during Summer, because every time I listen to it I always think of my big system.

So, I have to admit that I actually listen to music a bit less during hot summer days. But when I do turn on my big system I usually have my window air con on too... I have to put up with a bit of noise from the air con, and bigger electric bill at the end of the month.  :roll:

Well, at least I'm not in the tropic where it is hot everyday.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2012, 03:01 pm »
On the good side of it, I always have something to look forward to at the end of summer :thumb:  It really makes me appreciate the hard work I've done to put together my system. 

Jim