Subwoofer recommendations?

cheap-Jack

Re: Subwoofer recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2012, 08:33 pm »
Hi.

.. It would also require full range signals being sent to the mains speakers which would cause null cancellations and peaks with the subs.

You would gain little to nothing from stereo subs, as you can't generally localize frequencies below 80Hz.

Sorry, what you said does not happen to my humble system in my basement den.

My sub is now connected direct to my linestage line O/P. Even without any active impedance buffer, which I am building very simple using only a few parts run on 9V battery, the bass notes virtually shake up my basement - clean & powerful. Imagine once I add on the active Z buffer !!!!

FYI, when I play the LP: the Hollywood-made-famous Richard Strauss "Also Sprach Zarathustra", its opening sub-sonic bars creep lowly towards me & the ending powerful pipe-organ pedal notes roll overwhelming over me. I got to find my jaw which I dropped bigtime when I first time played this LP music with the active sub only last month.

All roads lead to Rome provided one knows the way.

c-J

brucek

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2012, 09:06 pm »
Quote from: Cheap-Jack
Even without any active impedance buffer, which I am building very simple using only a few parts run on 9V battery, the bass notes virtually shake up my basement - clean & powerful.

The level of a sub has nothing to do with localization. You may be missing my point.

brucek

ragg987

« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2012, 10:27 pm »
If you attempt stereo subs from the line level stereo mains output as an alternative, you would lose the LFE channel from the .1 output that is needed for movies in 5.1 mode. It would also require full range signals being sent to the mains speakers which would cause null cancellations and peaks with the subs.
I believe if I configure the processor with no sub, it should route the .1 to the other full-range speakers? Not tested, but on the "to-do" list. Agree that full-range to L+R and L+R subs mains should be avoided, hence my interest in cheap-jacks earlier remarks on crossover options.
You would gain little to nothing from stereo subs, as you can't generally localize frequencies below 80Hz.
You're probably right. A few people have reported that stereo subs do add to the experience. Just something I wish to test for myself - "to-do" list growing longer...

cheap-Jack

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm »
Hi.

The level of a sub has nothing to do with localization. You may be missing my point.

Please read my above post again. I can virtually see how the sub-sonic bass notes come on to me.
"creep lowly towards me" & "roll overwhilming over me".

I'd consider such virtual effect as localizaton.

c-J