BDA-1 integer mode

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-1 integer mode
« Reply #20 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:02 pm »
James:

To be fair, I really only got things up and running last evening and hadn't had much of a chance to experiment.  Currently, I am listening to things through headphones and a headphone amp as we are in the midst of renos and all my gear is stored away until we are done.  I will try turning BP off tonight to see what effect it has.

Tell me this, what are you using to connect your mac to the BDA-2 when you tested it?  On another forum where I was inquiring about integer mode with the BDA-1, this is the response I got:

All the reviews of the Bryston DAC say its USB input is inferior to its S/PDIF input. Therefore, you probably should try a high quality Toslink cable from the Mini to the Bryston instead of using USB. (To use Toslink, set the sound output device to Internal.)

Since integer mode is impossible with S/PDIF, that would moot your question.

I am using SPDIF on the BDA-1 by converting the USB out on my mini to SPDIF using a HiFace1 interface.

Hi,

I am using USB out of the MAC Pro Laptop to the USB input on the BDA-2.

james

bluemark81

« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:21 pm »
Hi,

I am using USB out of the MAC Pro Laptop to the USB input on the BDA-2.

james

So the fact that Bit Perfects information was indicating it was using integer mode pretty much discredits what he told me in another forum.  I'm sure others are using either SPDIF or USB with integer mode as well.

bluemark81

« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:11 am »
Hi

So given your research and listening does Bit Perfect appear to do all that the much more expensive programs do?  Also do you hear a difference between Bit Perfect engaged vs standard iTunes?

james

James:

I tried disabling BitPerfect several times, switching it on and off and I definitely believe it is an improvement over standard iTunes.  The music is smoother and more liquid.  I think it may have more dynamics as well, but hard to tell where the song stops and starts over when you turn BP off so I lose my audio memory.  I do not have any of the other programs (yet) so I can't compare.