Vinyl lp prices!!

BobM

Re: Vinyl lp prices!!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:43 pm »
I reserve my $20-25 per album purchases to those that I really feel have benefitted from the remastering and where I truly like the music being played. Like the following:

- 88 Basie Street - Count Basie Orchestra
- Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower
- Soular Energy - Ray Brown
- etc.....

Those $50-75 45 RPM's are just waaaayyy expensive, so they'vbe got to be truly special to pony up for. Yes, they sound better, but then they only play for about 10-15 min's a side and are a pain in the butt. But IMO they are not that much better that I find them essential. I have 1 or 2 just to see what the fuss was about. But I'd rather pick up more stuff I like at my local used record shop for $1-5 and keep the rest on hand for a VPI record cleaning machine.

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2012, 03:48 am »
I guess what I'm the most curious about is how anyone thinks that the vinyl thing is going to become mainstream again with albums costing $50 and up?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2012, 05:02 am »
Orthobiz,

The new Music from Big Pink is a stone killer album.  The best version ever released (and I've owned no less than 6 different versions over the years).  And on top of that it's one of the greatest rock records ever.  I'm not always a fan of MoFi remasters, but this time they hit a home run.  Jump on it before they're gone.

Scott

But....what's this I read ?  :scratch:

orthobiz

« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:45 pm »
I guess what I'm the most curious about is how anyone thinks that the vinyl thing is going to become mainstream again with albums costing $50 and up?

You mean when the cartridge is 10,000 dollars? The vinyl thing is probably NOT gonna become mainstream...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:46 pm »
But....what's this I read ?  :scratch:

Our own Roscoeiii posted on that thread. I looked through it quickly and didn't see anyone who timed a song=by=song comparison. Maybe it will be a Billy Joel Cold Spring Harbor scandal...

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2012, 10:12 pm »
You mean when the cartridge is 10,000 dollars? The vinyl thing is probably NOT gonna become mainstream...

Paul

Still harping on that $10,000 cartridge thing, eh?  Well, you'll be even more crabby when I get my Goldfinger this month!  :)

All that aside there are still plenty of good carts in the $100 - $300 range, but $50 for a record discourages experimentation
and casual purchases.   

orthobiz

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:28 pm »
Hey Jeff, how did I know you'd reply!  :lol:

My total stereo investment is between 10 and 15 K, much of it over the years of gradual upgrades. Still have my Linn from 1979 and my Dahlquists from 1977 (I am a "monogamous audiophile"). I have no gripes or envy when it comes to expensive stuff and I like to read about Ferraris and Lambos and Porsches even though I drive a Golf (current R model, though).

In the same shipment from Amazon: the Band Music From Big Pink MFSL for 37 bucks and God Speed You! Black Emperor 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! for 30 bucks. The CD versions are much much cheaper, I'll agree.

There is still plenty of affordable vinyl out there. In fact, you should order The Sights on vinyl right now! http://www.sightsarmy.com/thesights/
15 bucks for the record (although shipping is expensive...)

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:03 am »
I think 10-20k is probably where a lot of people are - I think that's a great "sweet spot."  I know if I didn't do this all day long, I certainly wouldn't have the investment I do, and I'd only have two turntables instead of 12.   

We're always trying to investigate and find more stuff that won't break the bank on the hardware and software side!

:)

J-Pak

« Reply #28 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:01 pm »
Hey Jeff, how did I know you'd reply!  :lol:

My total stereo investment is between 10 and 15 K, much of it over the years of gradual upgrades. Still have my Linn from 1979 and my Dahlquists from 1977 (I am a "monogamous audiophile"). I have no gripes or envy when it comes to expensive stuff and I like to read about Ferraris and Lambos and Porsches even though I drive a Golf (current R model, though).

In the same shipment from Amazon: the Band Music From Big Pink MFSL for 37 bucks and God Speed You! Black Emperor 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! for 30 bucks. The CD versions are much much cheaper, I'll agree.

There is still plenty of affordable vinyl out there. In fact, you should order The Sights on vinyl right now! http://www.sightsarmy.com/thesights/
15 bucks for the record (although shipping is expensive...)

Paul

Loving the new Godspeed album!

roscoeiii

« Reply #29 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:12 pm »
Loving the new Godspeed album!

+1. Think I will play that now in fact...

J-Pak

« Reply #30 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:19 pm »
I've only heard the digital. By the time I heard about the new album (only a few hours after the press release) the label was already back ordered on the vinyl!

So I have it preordered from another indie store that should hopefully be shipping it out next week.

If you guys enjoy the sound of the new GYBE, I suggest checking out the post rock band "Grails". Black Tar Prophecies is probably by favorite by them.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #31 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:23 pm »
I've only heard the digital. By the time I heard about the new album (only a few hours after the press release) the label was already back ordered on the vinyl!

So I have it preordered from another indie store that should hopefully be shipping it out next week.

If you guys enjoy the sound of the new GYBE, I suggest checking out the post rock band "Grails". Black Tar Prophecies is probably by favorite by them.

I have no idea who you are talking about. What or who is GBYE? :scratch:

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:28 pm »
I have no idea who you are talking about. What or who is GBYE? :scratch:
GYBE= Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Great band. Finally got to see them live this year. A highlight of a year I have seen many many great shows.  Their show ranks right up there with Radiohead, Wilco, David Byrne & St. Vincent and Iggy Pop.

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:29 pm »
And J-Pak thanks for the Grails rec.

Other post-rock I have always loved is Tortoise and much of their catalog has been rereleased on vinyl this year!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #34 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:04 pm »
GYBE= Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Great band. Finally got to see them live this year. A highlight of a year I have seen many many great shows.  Their show ranks right up there with Radiohead, Wilco, David Byrne & St. Vincent and Iggy Pop.

Thanks. Sounds like somebody I need to investigate to see if they fit within my relatively narrow music preferences.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #35 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:12 pm »
Thanks. Sounds like somebody I need to investigate to see if they fit within my relatively narrow music preferences.

Laura

After a You Tube search and listen I have decided they are not for me.

roscoeiii

« Reply #36 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:13 pm »

Laura

No vocals, they build to great crescendos. Solid musicianship, with interesting arrangements.

You might still be able to stream the new album here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/48130-stream-godspeed-you-black-emperors-new-album/