Vinyl lp prices!!

sweetspot

Vinyl lp prices!!
« on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:01 pm »
Has anyone noticed how "out of whack" cd versus lp prices of some artists have become?For example, Neil Young & Crazy Horse _Psycedelic Pill. Over at Amazon, the price of the 2 cd set is $12.88 , while the 3lp vinyl is $74.88!! What's up with that? Last week I picked up Bettye Lavette"s new album at my local music store- $5.00 difference between the cd version & the Lp w/cd included!

TheChairGuy

Re: Vinyl lp prices!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:13 pm »
Law of supply and demand at work.

2 buyers for every vinyl record made today versus maybe 4 CD's for every consumer that wants to buy it.

Downloading music killed the CeeDee.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:39 pm »

2 buyers for every vinyl record made today versus maybe 4 CD's for every consumer that wants to buy it.

Agreed, plus the production costs for vinyl are higher, but not that much. Neil Young charges more for his vinyl than any other artist I listen to. You can buy lots of new vinyl for $20 or under. Most is between $20 and $30. The Doors albums 45 RPM on 200g virgin vinyl pressed at QRP are $50 each and worth every penny.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:57 pm »
Hi.
Agreed, plus the production costs for vinyl are higher, but not that much. Neil Young charges more for his vinyl than any other artist I listen to. You can buy lots of new vinyl for $20 or under. Most is between $20 and $30. The Doors albums 45 RPM on 200g virgin vinyl pressed at QRP are $50 each and worth every penny.

Thank goodness I don't fancy topgun star singers whose LPs charge a premium.

I mainly go for classics. IME, older recordings sound more musical (using less or none digital gadgets in the recording). I spend only 75 cents a pop from our favourite thrift stores where I collected many hundreds LPs of music master from Beethoven, Mazart to the Beetles, Elvis, & the Eagles,  etc etc.

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2012, 03:06 pm »
Hi.

Yup, that's why CD market is shrinking like nuts. I've seen large music chain stores folded up because lack of CD music business.

c-J

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2012, 05:22 pm »
My used CD costs are usually around $5 shipped to $8 shipped for ones I seek out on the net. Locally my Lp costs are about $3 to $10 used.
So not much difference.
Rare Cds still cost a lot used. Ditto rare Lps. I do not buy those.
I buy what i can find cheap, that i want. With enough around to still be able to find used stuff worth buying cheap, i am satisfied.

New LPs will cost more than new CDs.. They cost more to make, and are made in fewer numbers. Plus the machines to make them have  to be amortized, (the vast majority of old LP pressing machines have been destroyed, or had to be rebuilt) where the CD machines are all paid for..

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:34 pm »
With faster downloads available all over the world, and wifi hotspots getting ubiquitous, downloads are killing the DeeVeeDee market, too, now.

I think it may be a lousy time to own stock in Best Buy (BBY)  :wink:

cheap-Jack

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:42 pm »
Hi.
I think it may be a lousy time to own stock in Best Buy (BBY) 

Yup, I own quite a bit BBY stocks, starting when it was $65 a share. I've already stopped buying them.

I worry the ex-chairman (the major shareholder) would buy up its cheapie stocks to privatize it.

c-J

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:13 pm »
I was gonna start a thread complaining about the same.  If I didn't want to pay $15+ for a new LP 20 years ago, why would I want to do it now?  Then again, the supply-side economic argument is not only true, but let's face it, the new LP now is at best in the category of the collector / novelty item - i.e kinda like the colored / limited edition LPs of yore.  I'm glad new LPs are still being produced, but like back then, will still buy used.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:23 pm »
One problem with records is the length of the new recordings, made possible by CD's. So a one hour record has to be on two vinyl discs, increasing the cost greatly.

I am hoping with downloads and streaming becoming more popular that new "albums" are of shorter length in general. Keeping it down to one record will help a lot.

But don't forget, the packaging of a record is a lot more than the cheapy plastic sleeve of the CD. And everyone knows the CD disc costs mere pennies...

And 6 dollars in 1974 is like 24 dollars today, no?

Paul

Gotta go buy the new Godspeed You Black Emperor record. And maybe the Band's Big Pink... Damn the new issues and reissues!!!!!

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:27 pm »

Gotta go buy the new Godspeed You Black Emperor record. And maybe the Band's Big Pink... Damn the new issues and reissues!!!!!

Both are fabulous. As is the VU mono set, and likely less known the Codeine box set that came out this summer. Oh and Herbie Hancock's Inventions and Dimensions at 45 RPM is divine. Just stoking the temptation for this high priced vinyl stuff...

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:37 pm »
Orthobiz,

The new Music from Big Pink is a stone killer album.  The best version ever released (and I've owned no less than 6 different versions over the years).  And on top of that it's one of the greatest rock records ever.  I'm not always a fan of MoFi remasters, but this time they hit a home run.  Jump on it before they're gone.

Scott

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:39 pm »
Orthobiz,

The new Music from Big Pink is a stone killer album.  The best version ever released (and I've owned no less than 6 different versions over the years).  And on top of that it's one of the greatest rock records ever.  I'm not always a fan of MoFi remasters, but this time they hit a home run.  Jump on it before they're gone.

Scott

+1. It is a fabulous release. As is the MoFi Basement Tapes (a great improvement on earlier pressings, though still not a sonic wonder due to recording conditions).

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:46 pm »
Ok - maybe this is the wrong place to ask and should open a new thread, but what's the deal w/ 45RPM albums vs a 33?  Why is this desirable?  Seems like more of a hassle w/ less music fitting per side.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:51 pm »
Ok - maybe this is the wrong place to ask and should open a new thread, but what's the deal w/ 45RPM albums vs a 33?  Why is this desirable?  Seems like more of a hassle w/ less music fitting per side.

No, it's fine - ask away.

Fidelity is higher the lesser the amount of grooves cut into a vinyl record.

I forget what the approximate max is per 12" side at 33.33rpm.....several others probably know exacts. It drops a lot at 45rpm....but, fidelity greatly increases. 

It's a vinylphool-only kinda' thing  8)

Scottdazzle

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:53 pm »

At 45 rpm, the cutter spreads the music over a larger area of the vinyl.   This makes for better accuracy of the music, especially in high frequencies.  The improved fidelity to the original music is offset to a subjective degree by the shorter album sides and increased cost.  45 rpm records are more expensive to master and often require an additional disc.

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:57 pm »
And wow, when the recording is well done, the 45 RPMs sound great. I reserve 45 RPM purchases for my most cherished favorites which were also very well recorded.

Howard Swayne

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2012, 11:06 pm »

And may they RIM  (rest in misery).

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:35 am »
Both are fabulous. As is the VU mono set, and likely less known the Codeine box set that came out this summer. Oh and Herbie Hancock's Inventions and Dimensions at 45 RPM is divine. Just stoking the temptation for this high priced vinyl stuff...

OK, last reply OT:
Great article, it's why I bought the album in part, I loved reading this interview:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oct/11/godspeed-black-emperor-interview-full-transcript
(Believe me, I'm not an Occupy Wall Street type)

Paul

J-Pak

« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2012, 06:08 pm »

I think it may be a lousy time to own stock in Best Buy (BBY)  :wink:

They are probably headed under. They said in a press release their new aim is to mostly be an accesories/phone/tablet store with small store fronts in malls (or booths).

I received my latest 2 from Music Matters (In N Out and Finger Poppin), both sound fabulous. I'm a big believer that 45 rpm is the way to go if the mastering is good.