Photo opportunities in Chicago

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Photo opportunities in Chicago
« on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:10 am »
I will be going to Chicago in a couple of weeks, bringing my camera. Any good subjects you can think of? I will be taking the train from Midway and will be spending a couple of days right downtown.

One thing I want to do is take pictures from the Sears tower floating balcony. It is a big city so I am sure there are plenty of suggestions.

ZLS

Re: Photo opportunities in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:42 am »
    Take a picture of the "Bean" http://www.360cities.net/image/dsc-1230-panoramabeangoodcopy#0.00,0.00,110.0

to capture the reflection of the buildings behind it. 

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:00 am »
Wow! Must do...

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm »
Don't have anything specific but perhaps one of the "architecture" tours might provide an interesting way to get to know what's there.

eg https://tickets.architecture.org/public/show_list.asp?cgCode=20&cgName=Downtown

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm »
Architectural Boat Tours are great. If you want to see some music and get a great view of downtown, go to The Hideout. I am a huge fan of the lakefront in general. I am down in Hyde Park, and the Museum of Science & Industry is pretty cool. Only permanent building from the World's Fair. And there is the gothic University of Chicago campus and Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House down here. Also a good record store, Hyde Park Records. Shoot me a PM if you come down this way, and you can also come by to hear my system (Von Schweikert VR-4s driven by a Rogue Stereo 90, with a kW preamp and a Townshend Rock turntable, if any of that is of interest). Always fun meeting ACers.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:09 am »
Chicago is such a great city to walk around. A transit pass is cheap and will get you everywhere fast either on the subway or the "L".

The old water tower and Museum of Contemporary Art are close together

Navy Pier is a must see

While at Navy Pier take the Sea Dog 75-minute River and Lake Architectural Tour, this was too much fun but be sure to make reservations

The lions outside the Art Institute are famous
[/img]

The Picasso sculpture was quite controversial when it arrived in 1967

I have photos of my Mom at Buckingham Fountain, built in 1927 it is a Chicago landmark

Chicago is full of public art like The Four Seasons by Marc Chagall

The Willis Tower (it is really the Sears Tower) at the time of its completion in 1973, it was the tallest building in the world. The observation deck has a 360 degree view of the city (on a clear day) but if you can't see the top from the street because of clouds don't bother.

There is much more to discover, you are going to have a blast.

Wayne

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:26 am »
I respectfully disagree with WGH about Navy Pier. I steer the hell away from that place unless there is some need to go there (Shakespeare theatre, children's museum, IMAX).

If you do the archiectural boat tour, the Architectural Society tour is the most highly thought of. And they also have regular walking tours too.

http://www.architecture.org/page.aspx?pid=698

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:59 am »
My favorite skyscraper to photograph in Chi-town is the Chase Tower.
http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Building/1038/Chase-Tower.php

I like walking right up to the building to get the curves in the photo.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:17 am »
I respectfully disagree with WGH about Navy Pier. I steer the hell away from that place unless there is some need to go there (Shakespeare theatre, children's museum, IMAX).

You are probably right, I was there when the tall ships were in town. The Pier is always a zoo but it is also a Chicago landmark which is why I included it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:25 am »
Maybe best to "see Navy Pier" from the vantage point of your photo, rather than actually entering Navy Pier....

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:12 am »
Great ideas! No way I can do it all but I will try to get what I can, getting the D600 ready or this trip!