Has anyone gone from stock caps to Auricaps?

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2004, 05:09 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
I think it's a cost factor -- the cost of the TRT caps is about the same, but the cost of the speakers varies.  So, it might make sense to buy the $1,200 caps when a pair of speakers is $4,600, but it becomes a bit prohibitive when the pair of speakers is $1,500.

I blew my system budget ALREADY before thinking about attempting TRT's on the 40's! 8) However, if I didn't need to put together a whole A/V system from scratch (I only had the projector), then I could have pulled it off...:)

Tonight I order cables...OuCh!:)

-Ed

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2004, 07:20 pm »
I know the feeling!  It's a never ending ordeal.  For instance, I ordered one set of (relatively cheap) wires planning on biamping my center channel and running my RM40s with one amp.  Now, I ordered another set of wires to biamp the RM40s and use one amp on the CC.  We'll see which route I actually take!  Luckily, I have five more speakers (other than the three VMPS I've ordered), so I can set up another small system with my Creek amp and my Mirage speakers, use my huge Linns are rear surrounds, and still have my CC Linn left over.

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2004, 04:48 pm »
What about using the Linn CC as a back rear speaker (6th channel) in your HT?

Got any pics of the Creek/Mirage system?

-Ed

ctviggen

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2004, 05:19 pm »
Hi Ed,

My Proceed AVP doesn't support 6 channels.  Right now, the Creek/Mirage system is nothing -- the Mirages are being used as my rear speakers until my VMPS speakers arrive.   For a relatively cheap amp, I like the Creek.  It's a nice sounding small amp but doesn't get along with 4 ohm speakers.

sbcgroup1

Auricaps
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2004, 07:02 pm »
Cap upgrades for this setup:

Mains- RM40's/FST's
Center- RM30 w/FST
Rears - LRC's w/FST's
Sub- Larger Sub w/Megawoofers

Option 1:. Only RM40's w/Auricaps
Option 2:. RM40's w/Auricaps & RM30C w/auricaps (overkill?)
Option 3:. RM40's stock, RM30C w/TRT

-Ed

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2004, 07:09 pm »
I'd vote for #2.

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2004, 07:16 pm »
I'd probably go with #2 as well.  Makes the most sense and you'll get the most seemlessness across the front, which is important for HT.

Marbles

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jun 2004, 07:20 pm »
I thought you odered your speakers weeks ago?

sbcgroup1

re
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2004, 07:22 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I thought you odered your speakers weeks ago?

Big B can always update the caps...they haven't arrived at his place yet...

-Ed

Marbles

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2004, 07:28 pm »
What did you order?

sbcgroup1

Caps
« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2004, 01:11 pm »
The wife wants the TRT's!!!

Sweetness is achieved. :rock: :drums:

-Ed

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jul 2004, 03:06 pm »
Does she have a "single" sister?  :mrgreen:

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2004, 03:29 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Does she have a "single" sister?

:roll:

No, but she has a "single" brother...hehehe..

Hey, it's all how much you want that TRT acceptance, baby.... :lol:

-Ed

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #33 on: 5 Aug 2004, 01:48 am »
I finally got around to upgrading the stock caps in my RM40's to auricaps.  The process was relatively simple, but first on how it sounds.  I immediately noticed an improvement.  I can only describe it as "smoother" and slightly clearer.  The difference was subtle at my normal listening level of 75db to 80 db, but became more apparent and significant when I turned up the volume to louder levels around 85db to 95 db.  I listened for a few hours to some my favorite redbook CD's.  Prior to the upgrade there were some recordings where I'd find myself turning down the volume from loud back to normal listening levels because the sound was too "hot" or intense.  With the auricaps, I didn't hear this sensation anymore at loud levels.  I've even turned the pots up from 10:00 and 11:00 for mids and tweeter to 11:00 and 12:00 after the cap upgrade.  In summary, I found this is a very worthwhile but subtle improvement.  I'd rate it more significant than any cable upgrade I've made and put it on par with my last upgrade from a HK FL8350 CD changer to the smoother MiniMax tube CDP.

The process was relatively simple.  I went to Radio Shack and bought a soldering iron and the best solder they had for around $25.  Removed the lower woofer, base and passive radiator and cut the wire from the stock caps.  The next step required a screw driver to pry the caps loose which were hot glued to the cabinet.  The new Auricaps have stranded wires which make them easy to twist to the cut wires from the stock caps.  I felt I could have stopped there and been OK, but since I had the new soldering iron I soldered the new joint.  Last step was to hot glue the new caps in place then reassemble the insulation and speakers.  One caution:  On the first speaker I cut the red cable off the positive speaker terminal in addition to cutting the wires from the stock caps.  It was a very difficult process for a rookie with a soldering iron to resolder the large red wire connection.  On the second speaker I realized that it was not necessary to disconnect the red wire from the terminal, just solder the new caps to the old wires and and leave the existing solder joint at the speaker terminal in tact.  The difference in time was 45 min. on the first speaker and 15 mins. on the second.  I posted a few photos on my photo gallery

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=249

Next upgrade is installing the lambs wool I received from Ekovalsky.  I ran out of time when my wife demanded I come in for my daughter's birthday.  I decided to do this one later.

Corbin

Kim S.

« Reply #34 on: 5 Aug 2004, 10:49 am »
Corbin, great pictures!  Did you take any pictures of the auricaps installed?  I have RM-2's and am considering doing the same with them.

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #35 on: 5 Aug 2004, 02:56 pm »
Kim,

In my haste to hear the new caps I forgot to take photos of the new ones installed.  I plan to add these in the near future when I change the fiberglass to lambswool.

Corbin