Bridging 3B amp with 4 ohm speakers

zambonista

Bridging 3B amp with 4 ohm speakers
« on: 10 Oct 2012, 07:21 pm »
Hi!

I have a pair of Axiom M80s which I have been driving with an old Bryston 3B.  I got a chance to buy another 3B and jumped at it, brought it home and hooked it up.   One 3B per side, bridged mono.   Sounds great!  Haven't turned it up to Rock Concert levels yet. 

After marvelling at the sound for a while,  I went online and read the manual - 3Bs should not be bridged for speakers less than 8 ohms.

Question is.... should I unplug now, or can I run this if I monitor the amp heat and keep the volumes down?

thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bridging 3B amp with 4 ohm speakers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2012, 07:25 pm »
Hi!

I have a pair of Axiom M80s which I have been driving with an old Bryston 3B.  I got a chance to buy another 3B and jumped at it, brought it home and hooked it up.   One 3B per side, bridged mono.   Sounds great!  Haven't turned it up to Rock Concert levels yet. 

After marvelling at the sound for a while,  I went online and read the manual - 3Bs should not be bridged for speakers less than 8 ohms.

Question is.... should I unplug now, or can I run this if I monitor the amp heat and keep the volumes down?

thanks!

It depends on the severity of the load - as long as they do not overheat and shut down you should be fine.

james

ancient hippy

Re: Bridging 3B amp with 4 ohm speakers
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2012, 07:55 pm »
 i was considering the same thing with a 4bnrb pro i.e. mono bridging 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel. i believe it was mike pickett who told me that would be ok as the amp was 2 ohm capable. despite this reassurance i was too nervous to give it a shot id be very careful