Extension Cables...???

StereoNut

Extension Cables...???
« on: 8 Oct 2012, 06:51 pm »
I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones and a Little Dot Mk.III headphone amp/pre-amp.  The problem I have is the stock 10ft. cable not being long enough for where I have this set up for listening. :roll:  I called Sennheiser and they said they don't make a longer cable for the 598's - although, one of their techies said there are rumors that they may come out with a 20ft. cable just in time for the holidays. My next thought was to buy a set of plugs from them and make up my own 20ft. cable... only problem is that Sennheiser does NOT sell any of their plugs from their parts department. :(  To make matters worse, their techie said the locking mechanism on the (2.5mm) headphone side of their cable is a proprietary design and is unavailable from anywhere else. :evil:

Sennheiser's solution was to just buy an after-market extension cable and connect it to the 1/4" end of the stock cable, which sounds like a less than desirable alternative to me. :?

Suggestions???

Thanks!
SN

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Extension Cables...???
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2012, 06:59 pm »
Came to mind solder the long cable inside the phone.
A this long headphone cord may work as antenna if cable not shielded, but it looks to be a pro monitoring app, so sound quality not apply.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:01 pm »
If you decide to try an extension cable, Grado has one.

StereoNut

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:05 pm »
Came to mind solder the long cable inside the phone.
A this long headphone cord may work as antenna if cable not shielded, but it looks to be a pro monitoring app, so sound quality not apply.

FWIW, I'm using this headphone set-up for late night listening at home so I don't bother anybody else - so sound quality DOES apply!

johzel

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:23 pm »
Try Drew Baird at Moon Audio.  He may be able to help. 

http://www.moon-audio.com/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:26 pm »
Phones are very sensible to the cord in use, its are a no xover/filter loudspeaker in a near field use, for this manufactures use a very thin wire with very low resistance.

A shortest cord is always better so, a long cable may lack some quality of a short cable.
How much quality is hard to say;

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:17 pm »
For your set up I would go for Grado too ... I think I have a second pair of new Grado - will have.to circle back next week

StereoNut

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:25 pm »
For your set up I would go for Grado too ... I think I have a second pair of new Grado - will have.to circle back next week

Thanks, Saisunil.  Keep me posted. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2012, 03:02 am »

randytsuch

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2012, 04:20 am »

StereoNut

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2012, 06:58 pm »
Is this what you need to build a custem Senn cable?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sennheiser+plug+diy&_sacat=0&_odkw=sennheiser+plug&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Unfortunately, no.  :(   The plug on the headphone side of the Sennheiser HD 598's I have is 2.5mm with a proprietary locking mechanism on the barrel that keeps the cable from falling out of the headphones.  As I mentioned before, Sennheiser will NOT sell their plugs as separate parts. :evil:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2012, 07:10 pm »
Unfortunately, no.  :(   The plug on the headphone side of the Sennheiser HD 598's I have is 2.5mm with a proprietary locking mechanism on the barrel that keeps the cable from falling out of the headphones.  As I mentioned before, Sennheiser will NOT sell their plugs as separate parts. :evil:
As I mentioned before, Sennheiser will NOT sell their plugs as separate parts. :evil:
This no good.
Do Sennheiser will no sell it even to replacement to a Sennheiser phone owner??
I wonder how after market cable manufacturers as Kimber, Cardas etc  get the HD800 connectors to made its cables??

DZetye

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2012, 08:21 pm »
Moon Audio sells the Sennheiser HD800 connectors last time I checked.  Maybe they have the others, also.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2012, 08:25 pm »
Moon Audio sells the Sennheiser HD800 connectors last time I checked.  Maybe they have the others, also.
WOW...Thanks for inform. :thumb:

They had both connectors HD600/800.