Not easy to choose between so many good headphones.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Not easy to choose between so many good headphones.
« Reply #60 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm »
One observation:  You already have/had the DT990 and you liked them
quite a bit.  The T1 has some areas of superiority, but still has the "house"
sound.  If you want a step up in the same vein, go with the T1.  If you are
looking for a different sound to complement the 990, go with the 800.  Hard
to lose either way.
Hibuck....

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #61 on: 25 Oct 2012, 08:26 pm »
I'm not a headphone guy even though I have a pair of Grado & Sennheiser headphones.  I will throw my 2 cents in as I did spend a good amount of time at the Woo Audio room and at the Cable Co stand at the last Capital Audio Fest.  My two favorite headphones were the Audeze LCD2 & the Sennheiser HD800.  And that was even comparing Grado GS1000, lower end Sennheisers, Beyerdynamic DT series, and others I don't remember. 

The LCD2 were really magical with vocals & very transparent.  The HD800 was just a comfortable and excellent all-arounder.  The HD800 might work better w/ a broader arrange of music. Hard really to choose between these two.

As for the Woo Audio products : I thought they sounded very good, were very well made, and priced very reasonably for US (Brooklyn) stuff.  I heard both the WA3 & WA6.

Guy : if this is really going to be the last pair of headphones + headphone amp you get, I wouldn't sweat going from $800-900 to double that.  If you really have discipline & plan to use them for the next 20+ years, that money will be well spent.  I'm a cheapskate & not sniffing at $800+ extra spend, but if you really are going to use them a lot for a very long time, it'll be worth it.

P.s. Someone previously mentioned the Audio Technica ATH M50 I think.  Best headphones around $125 I've heard.  Very efficient and if it wasnt for the size would be good for portable use.  Obviously not in the league of HD800 & LCD2, but very good for what they are.

Guy 13

« Reply #62 on: 26 Oct 2012, 11:45 am »
I'm not a headphone guy even though I have a pair of Grado & Sennheiser headphones.  I will throw my 2 cents in as I did spend a good amount of time at the Woo Audio room and at the Cable Co stand at the last Capital Audio Fest.  My two favorite headphones were the Audeze LCD2 & the Sennheiser HD800.  And that was even comparing Grado GS1000, lower end Sennheisers, Beyerdynamic DT series, and others I don't remember. 

The LCD2 were really magical with vocals & very transparent.  The HD800 was just a comfortable and excellent all-arounder.  The HD800 might work better w/ a broader arrange of music. Hard really to choose between these two.

As for the Woo Audio products : I thought they sounded very good, were very well made, and priced very reasonably for US (Brooklyn) stuff.  I heard both the WA3 & WA6.

Guy : if this is really going to be the last pair of headphones + headphone amp you get, I wouldn't sweat going from $800-900 to double that.  If you really have discipline & plan to use them for the next 20+ years, that money will be well spent.  I'm a cheapskate & not sniffing at $800+ extra spend, but if you really are going to use them a lot for a very long time, it'll be worth it.

P.s. Someone previously mentioned the Audio Technica ATH M50 I think.  Best headphones around $125 I've heard.  Very efficient and if it wasnt for the size would be good for portable use.  Obviously not in the league of HD800 & LCD2, but very good for what they are.

Hi jarcher and all Audio Circle members.

Thanks for sharing with me and all Audio Circle members your experience.

I will definitely buy either a Schiit Valhalla or Woo WA6 amplifier.

I prefer the look of the Schiit,
but at the same time,
I prefer the built of the Woo.
Also, the Woo is much more powerful,
I think it could drive easily the LCD2 or LCD-3 from Audeze.
Both are made in USA. (Good)

When it comes to decide which (Make-model) headphones to choose,
it get a little more difficult, actually, it gets much more difficult.

All the headphones listed below have their strong and weak points.

Bayer Dynamics DT-990 (+ Low price)(- Shouty hi freq.)
Senneiser HD-650 (Sound quality)(- Hi price)
Senneiser HD-598 (Low price)(- ? ? ?)
Audeze LCD-2 (Sound quality)(- Hi price)
Audeze LCD-3 (Sound quality)(- Even higher price)
Stax SR-007 (Sound quality) (- Not sure about reliability?)
Audio Technica ATH M50 (Low price) (- Over the ear ?)

Considering my limited budget.
Considering I want them to be my last pair of headphones.

I am seriously considering the HD-595 and HD-650 and
maybe the ATH-50 if I can hear them with a tube amplifier.

All the above, will have to wait until I get back to Canada,
because here in Vietnam,
the hi-end stores, don`t have much hi-end headphones
and also, I don`t trust the Vietnamese,
mucho copies all around Vietnam.

Last, many things can change by the time I get back to my civilised
home country Canada.

Guy 13

saisunil

« Reply #63 on: 26 Oct 2012, 02:35 pm »
I suggest you consider a used LCD2 ... Pick any amp you like

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #64 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:03 am »

Best suggestion yet.  Seem them on Head-fi trader for $600 - $750 asking price depending on whether rev 1 or 2.

Personally I feel 4 figure headphones are as offensive as 5 figure speakers.  But at least w/ the Audeze LCD2 the sound quality / fit / construction is very high end, so you feel you're only paying double what you should vs 4X more for the Sennheiser 700 + 800 plastic fantastic.  At least the Sennheiser HD 600 + 650 have a more quality feel befitting their price point. If Magnepan can sell full floor standing MMG's planar speakers  at $599, why does a pair of Audeze run $1K? 

Used at $600 for the Audeze LCD2 represents to me a fair value. 

Guy 13

« Reply #65 on: 27 Oct 2012, 11:20 am »

Hi saisunil and all Audio Circle members.

Unfortunately, (For me) I am not in favor of buyer used
and I am not only thinking of audio stuff,
this apply to everything
that surround me.

What's my reason?
Might sound stupid, but, I don't want problems from others...

If I decide to go with the LCD2;
I will have to choose the Woo WA6
or equivalent model from them.

The Schiit cannot drive the LCD2
and bring out all the LCD2 sound quality potential.

As for the amplifier, I will NOT go with solid state.
I find all solid state amplifiers sound too aggressive.

The more I look for a pair of headphones that will make me happy
for years to come,
the more I narrow down my choice to the following headphones:

HD-650
HD-598
LCD-2
Stax SR-407 or SR-507

My bracket of prices for the headphones is 500 to 1,000USD
I am also ready to put up the same amount for the amplifier.

That's more than double, what I had in mind initial,
but if I spread that amount over the next 20 years,
it's a small and good investment.
If both units last that long.

LCD-3 and HD-800 are fine headphones,
but at almost 2,000 USD
I do not consider that a reasonable purchase.

Guy 13

hibuckhobby

« Reply #66 on: 27 Oct 2012, 11:45 am »
Actually, the Schiit  'will' drive the LCD2 just fine.  Still,
a pair of HD650 and a WA6 (or even the WA3) will sound
wonderful with a variety of input sources.
Hibuck...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #67 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:14 pm »
I've been told by my Stax buddy that there really isn't that much of a difference between the SR-407 and SR-507 so that would save a few bucks.

ZAPHOD2012

« Reply #68 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:41 pm »
I have owned some high end phones, Grado, AKG, Senn, Denon, Shure. I have heard many others, Beyer, Stax, Sony, AT.
The ones  I owned the longest were the Grado PS1000 and RS2, sweet and colored.
Ones i own now are the Fischer audio FA-002w, good value and i wanted closed back.
Poorest build vs price, Senn.
Favorite i want to own, Stax Omega
Favorite most likely to own, Audeze LCD2/HE6
I would consider the Shure 1840, Hifiman HE6

milford3

« Reply #69 on: 27 Oct 2012, 08:38 pm »
Just placed a bid with this online company for the Tesla T1's.  The bid was for $925.00.  New, not B stock.  The reviews are just stellar for the Beyer T1's.  An excellent way to upgrade my system without revelling a weaknest in the audio chain.  Now, all I need to do is survive hurricane Sandy!!

http://www.proaudiostar.com/beyerdynamic-t1-premium-semi-open-stereo-headphones.html?gclid=CIzTn_iAorMCFQqe4Aod1zsAGw

hibuckhobby

« Reply #70 on: 27 Oct 2012, 08:55 pm »
There was a used pair on head-fi for $750 this morning.  Good price.
Hibuck...

milford3

« Reply #71 on: 27 Oct 2012, 11:40 pm »
Just placed a bid with this online company for the Tesla T1's.  The bid was for $925.00.  New, not B stock.  The reviews are just stellar for the Beyer T1's.  An excellent way to upgrade my system without revelling a weaknest in the audio chain.  Now, all I need to do is survive hurricane Sandy!!

http://www.proaudiostar.com/beyerdynamic-t1-premium-semi-open-stereo-headphones.html?gclid=CIzTn_iAorMCFQqe4Aod1zsAGw
[/quote

Just receive this price for the T1's.

$999 BRAND NEW-official dealers UPS ship included in the USA & NO TAX out  of NY---FULL WARRANTY ..We are offering these at a pretty low price...-hopefully that's a good deal for you

saisunil

« Reply #72 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm »
- Ps1000 had out of this world soundstage - which wowed me in the beginning and later appeared unnatural to me. It was even bigger than gs100
- 800s had perfect soundstage for acoustic events - perfect for jazz and classical - actually they are perfect for that. Some people find that have diffused soundstage for some recordings especially rock. Some can complain that they are distant sounding and they do have a peak in treble that need to be carefully amped - demand careful system matching
- re-cabled 701s have all around grat soundstage
- 600 and 650s had avearge / smaller and narrower soundstage but not bad
- most grados all the way up to rs1 put you on the stage - I found them rather in your face - great for rock and vocals. They are very forward sounding.
- hifiman 500 have a good soundstage - better and bigger than 600s

Headphones have more or less head-stage different from 2 channel in room soundstage.

Hi,
In your opinion how big is the HD800 soundstage??
Could the HD800 soundstage had the same size of a loudspeaker in a room??
Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #73 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:19 pm »
- Ps1000 had out of this world soundstage - which wowed me in the beginning and later appeared unnatural to me. It was even bigger than gs100
- 800s had perfect soundstage for acoustic events - perfect for jazz and classical - actually they are perfect for that. Some people find that have diffused soundstage for some recordings especially rock. Some can complain that they are distant sounding and they do have a peak in treble that need to be carefully amped - demand careful system matching
- re-cabled 701s have all around grat soundstage
- 600 and 650s had avearge / smaller and narrower soundstage but not bad
- most grados all the way up to rs1 put you on the stage - I found them rather in your face - great for rock and vocals. They are very forward sounding.
- hifiman 500 have a good soundstage - better and bigger than 600s

Headphones have more or less head-stage different from 2 channel in room soundstage.
Thanks for your detailed report, I appreciated it :thumb:
Afew days ago a friend that had Golden Ears and is IASCA juror eventually, inform me he listen the HD800 in a audio show with a new released TEAC integrated amp(for loudspeakers) and the HD800 soundstage is 4 metres wide(!")...

Iam impressed til now with his report, as my friend is a veteran in audio.