Not easy to choose between so many good headphones.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Not easy to choose between so many good headphones.
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2012, 02:40 pm »
This may be an interested thread to follow.  "Best Headphones for $500 and Amplifier to go With it"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632370/best-headphones-for-500-and-amp-to-go-with-it#post_8792804

Also, the new V-MODA M-100 was well received at RMAF 2012. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623236/rocky-mountain-audiofest-denver-co-oct-12-14th-2012

The modified Fostex T50RP is getting a lot of rave on the head-fi forum these days.
http://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Fostex-T50RP-Headphones
http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/For_Sale.html

From what I have been reading a large community is very happy with their Schiit products.  If I was looking for an over the ear headphone I would try either the HD650 (used) or get a planar headphone by the likes of Hifiman or Fostex with a Schiit amplifier.  If the funds allowed I would go with an Audeze headphone.  I am not quite sure which DAC I would go with as of yet.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm »
Grado 325i's and an Objective 2 amp....$500.

Very sweet.

Alex

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:13 am »
I owned some t50RPs and was fairly impressed althought the stock plastileatherette pads get very hot on my cheeks, I listened to all of the Beyerdynamics stuff at RMAF and again not terribly impressed too analytical and boring and really not comfortable at all (I have a huge head), the Sennheiser stuff I have tried so far, HD550, HD595 was very comfortable and very impressive, the HD 650s are my next phone purchase for sure unless I can catch a good enough deal on the AKG k550s to try out without much risk. 

I was really impressed with the Audeze stuff at RMAF but pretty far outside of my budget for phones, i always like supporting an american company when I can so might check out the Grado mid tier stuff to see if it will scratch my itch.  just my 2 cents.

jcm2128

« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:36 am »
My favorite closed-back phones for under $300 are the Dennon AHD-2000 although they seem to be getting hard to find for that price.

Denon AHD2000

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/denon-ahd2000/4505-7877_7-32340590.html

Guy 13

« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:39 am »

Hi all Audio Circle members.

Thanks to everyone that have posted their experience and opinions.

It was usefull, yes,
but also a little confusing.

So much choice and so many good products.

Difficult to choose between all the good headphones
and amplifiers.
I know by experience that if someone don't like a
brand/model of audio equipment, it does not mean it's because it's an inferior product.
Equipment is a matter of personnal preferences.

In my list of potential products,
I have eliminated many (Good) items
because of their prices that are over my budget,
some that do not fit the style I want to have in my living room.

So, I have narrow down my choice to the following makes/models,
but of course I will have to listen to them before I buy
and that might not be as easy as it sounds.

Most of the audio stores only carry one or two brands of headphones
and amplifiers.

Next year I will be 65 years old with all the downsides it brings
(Diminish hearing)
and also,
I would like to have a combo headphones
and amplifiers that will keep me happy
and that can be repaired for the next 20 to 25 years to come
or until I die.

In other words, I wish this will be my last audio purchase.

DT-990 + Schiit = 730USD
HD-650 + Schiit = 850USD
DT-990 + WOO WA6 = 1,000USD
Stax SR-07 + WOO Wee = 1,080USD
HD-650 + WOO WA6 = 1,120USD
Audeze LCD2 + WOO WA6 = 1,620USD

Since my hearing won't improve with time,
I have more or less eliminated the Audeze and Stax.

The DT-990 is more affordable than the HD-650,
but I will have to compare both of them audio quality.

One other thing that I must not oversee,
is the ear pads.
They must be of some kind of velvet and replacable.

I also need a fairly long cord, since my lazy-boy will be at the opposite end
of the sound systems. 

Think, think, think, choose, choose and choose...

It's a good thing that I am not in a hurry with my purchase,
this project is for middle of next year,
when I am back in my home country Canada.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2012, 07:01 pm »
Guy,
There is one more issue to consider with the DT990-Premium, it is avaliable in three impedances: 32, 250 & 600 ohms (600 ohms is suited to Pro-audio use):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-9229084-7032011?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=beyer+dt+990

By reading various reviews my favorite phones are the DT990 and the HD800. The DT990-Premium is the best value nowadays as it is on sale at Amazon for $339 as new:
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-990-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK344/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1350758327&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=beyer+dt+990

P.S.: Just see the DT990 PRO Open Studio 250 ohms version is avaliabe for only $195, a great price:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1350760259&sr=8-4&keywords=beyer+dt+990
What sound quality differences the Premium and the PRO Open Studio versions had, I would like to know...
Amazon product description inform the DT990 is made in Germany.

Guy 13

« Reply #46 on: 21 Oct 2012, 07:25 am »
Guy,
There is one more issue to consider with the DT990-Premium, it is avaliable in three impedances: 32, 250 & 600 ohms (600 ohms is suited to Pro-audio use):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-9229084-7032011?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=beyer+dt+990

By reading various reviews my favorite phones are the DT990 and the HD800. The DT990-Premium is the best value nowadays as it is on sale at Amazon for $339 as new:
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-990-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK344/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1350758327&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=beyer+dt+990

P.S.: Just see the DT990 PRO Open Studio 250 ohms version is avaliabe for only $195, a great price:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1350760259&sr=8-4&keywords=beyer+dt+990
What sound quality differences the Premium and the PRO Open Studio versions had, I would like to know...
Amazon product description inform the DT990 is made in Germany.

Hi FULLRANGEMAN and all Audio Circle members.

Thanks for the truck load of information,
it's useful and highly appreciated.

I think the DT-990PRO - 250 Ohms at 195 USD is what I am looking for.

250 Ohms would be a good match for the Schiit and/or the WOO WA6.

Thanks.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #47 on: 21 Oct 2012, 07:35 am »
My favorite closed-back phones for under $300 are the Dennon AHD-2000 although they seem to be getting hard to find for that price.

Denon AHD2000

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/denon-ahd2000/4505-7877_7-32340590.html

Hi jmc and all Audio Circle members.

Thanks for the information and the link to the video.

However, I don't think I will go with those.

The reasons are :

Non replaceable leather (Hot) ear pads/cups.

Closed type, I want open type.

Over my budget.

Y cables.

On the video they said sound quality is equivalent to the Senneiser HD-650.

But, no.
Thanks any way.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 21 Oct 2012, 07:42 am »
I owned some t50RPs and was fairly impressed althought the stock plastileatherette pads get very hot on my cheeks, I listened to all of the Beyerdynamics stuff at RMAF and again not terribly impressed too analytical and boring and really not comfortable at all (I have a huge head), the Sennheiser stuff I have tried so far, HD550, HD595 was very comfortable and very impressive, the HD 650s are my next phone purchase for sure unless I can catch a good enough deal on the AKG k550s to try out without much risk. 

I was really impressed with the Audeze stuff at RMAF but pretty far outside of my budget for phones, i always like supporting an american company when I can so might check out the Grado mid tier stuff to see if it will scratch my itch.  just my 2 cents.

Hi sharpsuxx and all Audio Circle members.
(May I say that I find your nick name a little bizzare)
The T50RP are over my budget.

I now own a pair of HD-570 that might be similar to your HD-550/595,

therefore, I would like to go with higher end headphones,
that's why I am considering the HD-650.
Thanks for your information.

Guy 13

Sparky14

« Reply #49 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:19 pm »
At last summer's THE SHOW in Newport Beach, I spent a lot of time at the Schiit room. I was very impressed with their equipment. I got to try out all the hifiman headphones there. At another room at the show, was the first time in probably 20 years that I got to listen to STAX. And yes, they are another step beyond everything else.

I've had the DT990/600s for 2 years. Love them. However, after the show, I did finally get the Hifiman HE-400s. The HE-400s are not at bright as the DT990s, and also improve the mid-bass.

That being said, I think the DT990s would pair well with tubes.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2012, 08:37 am »
you can get the 990 pro for $169.50
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92807-REG/Beyerdynamic_459038_DT_990_PRO_Studio.html

I'd like to try a pr myself to have a different sound, but I really like my T50RP. I don't think I would trade them for a pr of 990.  Mine aren't Thunderpants. I modded them myself and they sound great.  Maybe you should reconsider them.  You could use a $150 amp or plug them into a preamp/receiver and not have to mess with tubes.  That's another reason I'm reluctant to get the 990.  I don't have a tube headphone amp.  The AKG 550 looks great to me and that's what I'd like to try even though they'd probably be too big.  I don't think a tube amp is mandatory for them either.
neo

milford3

« Reply #51 on: 23 Oct 2012, 07:34 pm »
Okay headphone owners, I have the go ahead to purchase either the Beyer T1's or the Senn HD 800.  Reading reviews all day and have concluded that I should get both.  But I can't buy both.  Oh, which one.  I listen mostly to trance and metal music. 

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2012, 08:04 pm »
I think the T1 would be better for trance and metal.  It's a bit less analytical than
the 800 and has a bit stronger bass.  The 800 is the soundstage king.  They are both
very comfortable IMO.
Hibuck....

saisunil

« Reply #53 on: 23 Oct 2012, 08:28 pm »
IME Audeze LCD2 is heads and shoulders above its competition and price point and are relatively easy to drive ... they are a little ripe on bass but its a welcome addition from a headphone perspective ...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #54 on: 23 Oct 2012, 08:55 pm »
I haven't heard the Audeze but I sure would love to hear the T1's....actually all three mentioned come to think of it. Nice " go ahead" milford, I'm betting by now at 5 pm est. you've ordered some, am I right?? Which ones??

saisunil

« Reply #55 on: 23 Oct 2012, 09:31 pm »
Just to clarify myself - in addition to LCD2 ...
- HD800 have the most amazing soundstage - not inflated like PS1000 and extremely comfortable and light weight - they need to be carefully partnered from source and amp perspective
- T1s, I look for another opportunity where I can hear them in their full glory ... so far three time I heard them - I walked away without ever wanting them ...

Cheers

Wasatch

« Reply #56 on: 23 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm »
I really like the Sennheiser's.

milford3

« Reply #57 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:02 am »
Okay headphone owners, I have the go ahead to purchase either the Beyer T1's or the Senn HD 800.  Reading reviews all day and have concluded that I should get both.  But I can't buy both.  Oh, which one.  I listen mostly to trance and metal music.

Forgot to add that the amp I own is the Schiit Valhalla so planer phones will not work well with the Schiit.  And yes, it's after 5 PM and still have not decided yet. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #58 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:18 am »
Just to clarify myself - in addition to LCD2 ...
- HD800 have the most amazing soundstage - not inflated like PS1000 and extremely comfortable and light weight - they need to be carefully partnered from source and amp perspective
- T1s, I look for another opportunity where I can hear them in their full glory ... so far three time I heard them - I walked away without ever wanting them ...

Cheers
Hi,
In your opinion how big is the HD800 soundstage??
Could the HD800 soundstage had the same size of a loudspeaker in a room??
Thanks
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2012, 04:33 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #59 on: 25 Oct 2012, 11:44 am »

Forgot to add that the amp I own is the Schiit Valhalla so planer phones will not work well with the Schiit.  And yes, it's after 5 PM and still have not decided yet.

Your a better man than I!!!!  Any decision yet, anything you want to sell??