Can you recommend an in-ceiling speaker

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Can you recommend an in-ceiling speaker
« on: 28 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm »
I'm planning a new house that will have a dedicated media room for tv and home theater. I'll use monitors or floor standers for the fronts, but in-ceiling speakers will work best for the rear and back channels. Has anyone come across a speaker they like for this type of installation?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Can you recommend an in-ceiling speaker
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2012, 12:15 am »
I don't use these in my reference theater but for the money they are quite good. They also sound decent for music. Great company too:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/ultra-series/products/uac82

Anand.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:21 pm »
Thanks. I did not know that Emotiva made speakers. These units are certainly affordable and worth investigating.  :thumb:

youravhandyman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2012, 02:14 pm »
KEF has some real nice in ceiling speakers.  They just this year released a dipole/stereo model that is great for surrounds but not overly necessary if you step up to one of their Uni-q models.  If your budget allows larger the Totem in ceiling are rediculous.  Heard them at a trade show with only one playing, not even in a ceiling, with a small sub playing and it was hard to tell the difference between them and the pair of Hawk when they switched between them.   

Those are two of my favs.  There are so many out there that I have used in theaters and such that it is hard to list them all...so I won't.

Matt

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2012, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. I've also read some nice things about Episode speakers. In-ceiling speakers are not my optimal solution, but they meet WAF.

youravhandyman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:07 pm »
both offer new thin bezels so that they increase the WAF.  Magnetic grills on the KEF make install easier.  You can check out the Episode stuff(propaganda) at www.episodespeakers.com and KEF at http://www.kef.com/html/us/index.html.